Where do you buy appliances?

Where do you buy appliances?

Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes

The tenants who have lived 16+ years at one of our units are moving out. The stove, range hood, and fridge were purchased by the previous landlord but are definitely 16+ years old. We are trying to buy a new set before the new tenants move in. 

I am wondering where do you usually find good bargains? We have a Sears outlet store in town, selling appliances with minor dents. But I am also exploring other options. 

Thank you for your advice!

0Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y

@Wendy Jiang

Hi Wendy. One thing I would caution you against is bargain-hunting. You don't want bargains in this business. You want dependable, long-lasting appliances whose cost includes delivery and the removal of the old appliance.

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 256 posts · 213 votes
    4y

    Wendy,

     Depending on your budget, but here is couple of ways for you to consider:

    If you live in a big metropolitan city, I would look into Offer Up or similar Apps, because you can find a fairly new appliances for a fraction what it would cost you if you buy brand new.

     Otherwise, I buy all my appliances from Home Depot. It comes with a free installation and all that for convenience. 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Home Depot, Costco, Amazon etc. Appliances are in short supply depending on sizes etc.

  • Leah DeminskiPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Denver Colorado · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    typically CL or appliance factory! 

    BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 200 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    Costco and Home Depot are my go-to's. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Our Sears Outlet closed down but before they did I loved them and bought all my appliances there.  I bought a really nice refrigerator for my first home that became a rental for 1/2 off.  Sure there was a large scratch down the right side but the wall doesn't seem to mind looking at it.  A lot of people recommend used appliances however I prefer new. The cost savings aren't worth the risk to me of having to replace appliances more often as I highly value my time.  There is a market for used though so if yours still work someone will be willing to pay for them.  Maybe not much for 16 year old appliances but something is better than nothing and at least they will be gone.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    SFHs 1-10, I bought used off CL.  Good deals but it does not scale.  Now Lowes and HD w/ 10% Mil discount.  For class B and up, stainless is worth the marginal extra cost. 

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    I buy mine from Lowes. Sometimes I can get a scratch and dent, but either way, I save 5% with Lowes credit card.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 294 posts · 142 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    Check out Best Buy outlets. There deal beats Sears Outlets(now American Freight)

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Home Depot, Costco, Amazon etc. Appliances are in short supply depending on sizes etc.


     Thanks for the reminder on short supply. I am hoping to do some shopping this weekend and check it off my list. 

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Adam Martin:

    Our Sears Outlet closed down but before they did I loved them and bought all my appliances there.  I bought a really nice refrigerator for my first home that became a rental for 1/2 off.  Sure there was a large scratch down the right side but the wall doesn't seem to mind looking at it.  A lot of people recommend used appliances however I prefer new. The cost savings aren't worth the risk to me of having to replace appliances more often as I highly value my time.  There is a market for used though so if yours still work someone will be willing to pay for them.  Maybe not much for 16 year old appliances but something is better than nothing and at least they will be gone.  


     Our Sears outlet technically closed down, but somehow it changed to a different name and still does the same business. We are very lucky I guess. 

  • Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:

    SFHs 1-10, I bought used off CL.  Good deals but it does not scale.  Now Lowes and HD w/ 10% Mil discount.  For class B and up, stainless is worth the marginal extra cost. 


     Thanks Terrell! I agree! I am getting stainless for sure. 

  • Investor · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 127 votes
    4y

    I recently got a good deal on 6 stainless steel fridges from Best Buy. Normally we go with Lowe's or Home Depot. Going to have to check out Costco now...

  • Property Manager · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    We use Lowes because of the Lowes for Pros discount. Free haul away as well. We have also had success with them paying for any damage the installers caused without too much headache.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    Hi Wendy. One thing I would caution you against is bargain-hunting. You don't want bargains in this business. You want dependable, long-lasting appliances whose cost includes delivery and the removal of the old appliance.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Lowes or HD for us. Save 5% with their credit, delivery and hauling, plus extended warranty if you want it...

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    4y

    Normally Lowes or HD.  However,  in the last year we generally end up at Sears Outlet, now called American Freight, because of wait times/supply chain issues.  I think we've bought six appliances during the pandemic from them.  They are NOT cheaper, though, at least not recently.  It was more scratch and dent with Sears, with AF it's "new but no packaging" and you have to make sure you're getting everything that would have come with new.  Just this week we bought a DW.  Lowe's had the same one for $749 but six weeks at least until delivered.  AF had it for $775 but claimed retail was $999.  I could not find it listed retail any higher than the $749 Lowe's had.  But I'm not asking my tenant to wait six weeks for a dw, and the current one was 18 years old, so not going to fix it either.  So I'm glad they are there for "buy it now" inventory, but it's not a money saver.

  • Daniel SmythPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2019 · 471 posts · 342 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    I buy very little without a warranty.

    Outlet stores are used when the price is VERY reasonable and then if usual repairs can be done easily..I

  • Rajesh KasturiPro Member
    Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    @Daniel Smyth I buy for my rental property from Home Depot with 0% interest for 12 to 24 months with home depot credit card

  • Polo VazquezPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · McAllen, TX · Member since 2017 · 382 posts · 281 votes
    4y

    Best Buy has good discounts if it's around any holiday. Even president's day. As far as where I buy them, I give it a quick look around facebook marketplace to see if there is anybody just trying to get rid of their appliances. If I can't finde anything a I go to a local used appliances lot and buy whatever looks in the best shape.

  • Matthew WeaverPro Member
    Investor · IN/OH/AZ · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    Ferguson is a huge supplier, and when appliances get slightly nicked they sell them very cheaply.

    https://www.ferguson.com/

  • Saint Simons Island, GA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 64 votes
    4y

    Wendy, We have a company called Coastal Appliances on the mainland that has been in business for many many years. Walk-in and immediately talk with someone. They carry most of what Lowe's carry and offer the same price. While a veteran and can use 10% off at Lowe's or Home Depot, NO THANK YOU. After experiencing hell in trying to apply a warranty once with Lowe's I said never again after all the time spent on the phone. I will pay a bit extra money, pay for the extended warranties and use a reputable local appliance store. They deliver, set up take away, making life easy and enjoyable in dealing with appliances. Just my $.02. Buy local/family owned if at all possible. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    Home Depot, typically. I just ordered a stacked washer/dryer from them for a new duplex I purchased. Back ordered until March 30th.

  • Property Manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 108 posts · 149 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang I don't see any post mentioning brand. You'll find a lot of great deals on new Samsung and LG appliances but talk to any appliance repair tech and they will recommend staying away from these two brands. Just google "class action lawsuit Samsung/LG" and you'll find many articles to read. 

    We've had the best luck with the Whirlpool brands including Maytag and Amana. We only manage A/B detached single family homes so we don't use Hotpoint.

  • New Bern, NC · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 173 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Jiang

    Either Lowes or Facebook Marketplace depending on my budget at the time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    4y

    Many communities have a small appliance company that buys scratch and dents from major regional distributors, wholesalers or manufacturers.   They operate out of storage units or cheap warehouse space.   Their inventory won’t include matching units but it’s new and they sell at a discount. The one in my area backs up their sales with a guarantee if something is internally damaged.     Find that outfit in your area.   Craig’s LIst, FB Marketplace or a Google search will help you find one.  Avoid the temptation to buy used equipment however shiny.  We avoid Samsung and LG as we’ve found their replacement parts are pricey.   Also,  if you have an appliance repair guy who is your go-to,  consult with him/her/them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.