Rental Property Investor 路 Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 383 posts 路 248 votes
Found a doozy on a routine inspection recently - I lost track at 24 cats 馃槙 - this tenant has been spiraling for a bit, but needless to say will be gone quickly. I'll spare you the details and hoops I'm jumping through to find the cats a place to go, but I'm here as it's been a while since I've had to turn over a unit to this degree. It's a B+ grade property, 3 bedroom, 1 ba. My question:
What's everyone using/loving for tenant-proof floors and counters these days? LVP and granite?
Investor 路 Shelton, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 6k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
4y
LVP Is working for us pretty good. Dolomite counters are standing up really well-less care than granite and don't stain like marble. Glad you are trying to find places for the cats. We recently turned over a 3 bed 3 bath duplex, 1 side. Finding trades who were not busy was tough. And keeping the expense down was not easy. All the Best!
Investor 路 Shelton, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 6k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
4y
LVP Is working for us pretty good. Dolomite counters are standing up really well-less care than granite and don't stain like marble. Glad you are trying to find places for the cats. We recently turned over a 3 bed 3 bath duplex, 1 side. Finding trades who were not busy was tough. And keeping the expense down was not easy. All the Best!
Real Estate Broker 路 San Antonio 路 Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 490 votes
4y
Thats a tough one! I had a cat hoarding situation many years ago! It was terrrrrrible, worst I have ever seen. Home had to be ripped down to the studs! No advice here, good luck on this!
Austin, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 5k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
4y
Cat hoarding.
I've seen this before, lost track of the number is right.
All cats were surrender by her to homes as pets, with help of the local fire department volunteers catching them with heavy fireman gloves and crating them while she was off the premises--with her permission.
The crates came from a no kill shelter, who also worked to re-home them after vet checkups and fixing.
They ALL went to (good) homes as pets.
It took an intervention type thing to get her to release the cats, but she knew she could not take care of that many, and they were not as well off as if they lived with families as ones, two or threes.
From discovery to re-homing about 1 month.
The structure smelled like cat waste and many lower portions of wall gypsum had to be replaced, as well as other re-rehabilitation measures taken.
I have never seen this with dogs--must be something about cats in particular that makes this happen.
In this business we run into other mental health issues also, uber aggressiveness, suicides, etc... This one really messes up the unit.
Rental Property Investor 路 Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 383 posts 路 248 votes
3y
...Figured I'd update ya'll. Started the eviction on Sept 16 and tenant held on to the very end - Sheriff had to take them out. Tenant returned later that night, broke in, cops, etc... but they didn't arrest them bc "even if we did they wouldn't book them - jail is too full and this is too petty" and yes they are "crazy - but not crazy enough to admit them without their consent"
Catching the cats took about 2 weeks. I did a bunch of research and found a volunteer (!!) who came with 10 traps and checked in every other day taking 6 per day to the Humane Society - who couldn't take more bc they were also too full. Animal Control wasnt much help beyond brokering the deal between us and the Human Society. The property did, however make the local news (yikes) who interviewed the local drug dealer (double yikeds) bc neither neighbor would consent to be on camera.
Gut reno started the day after the last cat was removed. It was gross. And very sad. Drywall is up, painting starts after Xmas. We should be listing this place FEB 1 at the latest. IT'S SO NICE finally having a reliable contracting crew - it's only taken me 2 years.
Dreams: I wish Killz would sponsor me. Reality: I got a lot of free materials and decor from the Lowes Loop program. Flooring, lights, etc... pretty great. It's saved me a $1500-2000 so far.