Should I Provide a Washer and Dryer at My Rental?

Should I Provide a Washer and Dryer at My Rental?

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 231 posts · 188 votes

My duplex has washer/dryer hookups in both of the basements. I currently do not have these in either unit (I am living in one side). Should I be looking to purchase a washer/dryer for the other unit and have it installed? Or should I have tenants use a laundromat instead? I am worried that tenants will often break these appliances, but I know that they are good selling points with your rental due to their convenience. Thoughts?  

1Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Jaron WallingPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

I'd install a used washer and dryer. Check FB market place. They are numerous. Same goes for dishwashers. YES appliances break but think about the ROI. You'll command $60 or more per month by having them. 60*12= $720 per year.

Fat chance you're spending >$720 on replacements for a rental but that's just my opinion. 

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Devin JamesPro Member
    Developer · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 502 posts · 306 votes
    3y

    Hey Thomas,

    I always go with adding a washer/dryer to my units. Now having one usually lowers your tenant pool significantly.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I'd install a used washer and dryer. Check FB market place. They are numerous. Same goes for dishwashers. YES appliances break but think about the ROI. You'll command $60 or more per month by having them. 60*12= $720 per year.

    Fat chance you're spending >$720 on replacements for a rental but that's just my opinion. 

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2022 · 54 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    A washer and dryer is standard. Unless you live in a tiny apartment in NY. 

    Buy a good, used set and install them. It's not a lot of money, and it's worth it for your tenets. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    My duplex has washer/dryer hookups in both of the basements. I currently do not have these in either unit (I am living in one side). Should I be looking to purchase a washer/dryer for the other unit and have it installed? Or should I have tenants use a laundromat instead? I am worried that tenants will often break these appliances, but I know that they are good selling points with your rental due to their convenience. Thoughts?  


     I prefer to install them and increase the rent a little to recover costs. The fewer appliances moving in and out, the better.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Have a washer and dryer. If there are hook ups, the tenants may get one themselves and moving them in and out can cause damage along with not connecting them correctly.  If tenants are paying for the utilities, it will be a 'selling' feature to have them in place.  No one likes going to the laundromat.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    .

  • Real Estate Broker · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 149 posts · 103 votes
    3y

    I pay city water/sewer in my rentals so if the hookup is there I'd allow the tenant to bring them in but wouldn't go out of my way to provide them.  Be mindful of who is paying for hot water as well.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I don't provide them, too much liability. It usually becomes an issue, when things start to break and non functional. Let them buy their own 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    My duplex has washer/dryer hookups in both of the basements. I currently do not have these in either unit (I am living in one side). Should I be looking to purchase a washer/dryer for the other unit and have it installed? Or should I have tenants use a laundromat instead? I am worried that tenants will often break these appliances, but I know that they are good selling points with your rental due to their convenience. Thoughts?  


     I rented a washer and dryer for $40/month and the combo couldn't be more than $500. It can be a great way to make some extra cash, but will have extra maintenance on your end. If you want the cash then do it, if you don't want the headache then don't.

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    I personally would look to add a good used set here. In my market most tenants look for major appliances to be included with the home. Take a look at listings nearby to see if it is standard in your market. Good luck & happy investing! 

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2020 · 196 posts · 29 votes
    3y

    How much water does a washer machine use, is there a utilization fee being added to the monthly rent or is the monthly water bill accounted for ? I inherited tenants and she has her own washer and dryer but in NJ the landlord is responsible for the water bill.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    My duplex has washer/dryer hookups in both of the basements. I currently do not have these in either unit (I am living in one side). Should I be looking to purchase a washer/dryer for the other unit and have it installed? Or should I have tenants use a laundromat instead? I am worried that tenants will often break these appliances, but I know that they are good selling points with your rental due to their convenience. Thoughts?  


     I prefer to install them and increase the rent a little to recover costs. The fewer appliances moving in and out, the better.


    This is exactly what we do. Years ago we did not supply them but I have found over time that the renters want more and more convenience and are more than willing to pay for it. So we started putting them in and raising rents by $50-100/month depending on the unit to cover the appliances, and they've been total money makers. Yes on occasion you have to replace them (we just did a brand new stackable in a house that can only have stackables) but Lowes has 5 year full parts/labor extended warranties you can throw on the units for cheap - on the stackable I just did it added $125 per unit to the cost, which is $25 per year. I generally don't go for extended warranties but the $2k I just spent on those units costs me $400 per year over 5 years and I'm going to recover $800-1000 per year on them. Money in the bank, and I don't have lunkheads trying to move their own stackables in and out of a house with nice hardwood floors.
    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Thomas O'Donnell:

    My duplex has washer/dryer hookups in both of the basements. I currently do not have these in either unit (I am living in one side). Should I be looking to purchase a washer/dryer for the other unit and have it installed? Or should I have tenants use a laundromat instead? I am worried that tenants will often break these appliances, but I know that they are good selling points with your rental due to their convenience. Thoughts?  

     HECK NO, when they break it its your problem, let them buy it , so when it breaks its their problem. Just keep an eye on the water bill. Make sure they do not have family and friends using it ,  

  • Accountant · Anchor Point, AK · Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    I have done both, and do not think that there is an obvious answer to your question.

    For the units I have included W/D, I have had expensive repairs/replacements every time. However, I continue to supply those units with W/D because rental comps in the area also provide them. The rent would be at least $50/month less without them, and on average I definitely spend less than $600/year on maintenance. It's annoying to deal with maintenance, but they pay for themselves, even if just marginally.

    For my unit without W/D, I did something kind of unique that was a real win-win. Both W/D were there when the tenant moved in, but I sold the set to them at a discounted price upon move-in. So they paid outright (and got a great deal) and took on all responsibility, and I was able to advertise the property with a W/D available for additional cost. If/when they move out, I will probably offer to buy them back and repeat the process with the new tenant. Important: in their lease, it says W/D NOT included. I sold the units to them cash, outside our lease agreement.

    A third option
    is to include a W/D, but charge $25/month (or something reasonable for your area) as appliance rent. Really depends on your market though.

    Hope that helps!
  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    My vote is no, and I do supply most other appliances like fridge, dishwasher, etc. I don’t do w/d for the obvious reasons of liability, beyond damage it’s one more thing to possibly be stolen … so just, no. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 81 posts · 87 votes
    3y

    I would avoid providing a washer/dryer in order to avoid any liability. There's has to worry about in terms of maintenance and water bill charges.

  • Rental Property Investor · MI · Member since 2019 · 192 posts · 205 votes
    3y

    No, never.

    After having a tenant break two refrigerators in a year, I no longer provide stoves, refrigerators, w/d, microwaves, and now I’m adding ceiling fans to my list. Don’t want to be liable.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    We don't provide washer/dryer in any of our SFR properties. We also don't provide a fridge. We do provide a range, dishwasher (if equipped) and either a range hood or over the range microwave. If there are laundry machines or a fridge in the property because it was left there by a previous occupant, we'll leave it with the understanding if it breaks it's not our problem. I'll hook up appliances if requested.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    3y

    I would provide your tenants with a washer and dryer. We provide these in all our rental units and this added convenience does almost always result in a slight bump in your monthly rent amount. You should be able to find a good used set on facebook marketplace. It's better to provide them with a washer and dryer rather than have your tenants try to install one on their own, most probably resulting in some wall damage too. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.