Property Management Company will not pay me out now that I switch

Property Management Company will not pay me out now that I switch

Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes

Wondering what action I can take against a PM company that has not paid me my last month's rent on 8 properties and all deposits that they have for my properties. Is there a time limit before I can press action against them? Not sure what the next steps are but I sure hope no one ever chooses to use them if this is how they treat people who have been with them for 4 years. 

0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y

Most PM's have to have a RE license. You can report them to the RE board in your state their license would be in jeopardy. Don't wait too long. Get a lawyer and take them to court. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    Most PM's have to have a RE license. You can report them to the RE board in your state their license would be in jeopardy. Don't wait too long. Get a lawyer and take them to court. Good luck!

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    What does your management agreement say about termination of the contract, and automatic renewal? Did you give them written notice, in accordance with the contract?

    Deposits are a separate issue, they belong to the tenants, and must be transferred to you or returned to the tenants. Do you have documentation of what the current deposits are that they are holding, or are you just assuming they have deposits?

    If you do not have appropriate documentation, it will be very difficult to succeed in recovering the funds.
  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    If your PM is licensed in their state then start by going to their regulatory board (e.g., The Colorado Real Estate Commission) to file a complaint. If you hired an unlicensed PM then good luck ever getting that money back.

    • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 15 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joe Norman:

      If your PM is licensed in their state then start by going to their regulatory board (e.g., The Colorado Real Estate Commission) to file a complaint. If you hired an unlicensed PM then good luck ever getting that money back.


       How does a formal complaint like this work? Would this cause them to lawyer up? 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jeff Betschart:

    Wondering what action I can take against a PM company that has not paid me my last month's rent on 8 properties and all deposits that they have for my properties. Is there a time limit before I can press action against them? Not sure what the next steps are but I sure hope no one ever chooses to use them if this is how they treat people who have been with them for 4 years. 


    You should have a written agreement that stipulates when you'll get paid, how you'll terminate management, etc. If they're violating that agreement, you can file a complaint with the Missouri Real Estate Commission: https://pr.mo.gov/realestate-h...

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    I have documentation of everything. I have a copy that shows the deposit amounts for each property. I gave written notice and know the rents for October have not been received either. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    If you are saying the PM did not receive October rents for all of the tenants, I would knock on doors asap to meet with the tenants to confirm whether or not they did, or tried to, pay. It may be the PM's ship is sinking, and they have stopped ops. Provide tenants with written notice of change in management and your full contact info. Let them know they may lose their deposit if PM does not turn them over at some point. Once you have the full picture, contact your local Real Estate Commission.
  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    I would recommend you take a look at your PMA to ensure this is not already spelled out. Lots of questions here. Did you have any unpaid maintenance bills, attorney bills, termination fees that is eating into your draw? Have you requested final accounting and hired a new PM or self managing? Good luck, happy investing!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Could you PM what management company? Always like to know which ones have negative feedback 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Jeff Betschart what's their response when you contact them?

    Knowing their response will help us give you better advice:)

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    No this is the PM not paying me after I told them I was switching companies. They are doing everything they can to drag their feet. They have received all the money from tenants, there is no back due fees,no legal issues they are just a crappy company. If you want specifics message me but until I get my money I will not be throwing out any names.
  • Property Manager · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2022 · 78 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    I’m so sorry you are going through this! I’ll go over there myself for you!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jeff Betschart:

    Wondering what action I can take against a PM company that has not paid me my last month's rent on 8 properties and all deposits that they have for my properties. Is there a time limit before I can press action against them? Not sure what the next steps are but I sure hope no one ever chooses to use them if this is how they treat people who have been with them for 4 years. 


    How long has it been ? Do you have any invoices that need to be paid , maybe they are reconciling. What did they say when you called them ?  

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I would love to know who it is... 

    i has a stupid issue with a company no near this bad, but it was frustrating. I'd be talking to an attorney ASAP for a demand letter at this level...

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 15 votes
    1y

    What action did you take regarding this situation @Jeff Betschart?

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    7mo

    they actually did finally pay but it was a hassle and I would never work with them again. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.