Rockford, IL · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes
Hello Everyone,
I am having a lot of responses to my listing for my rental house. I decided to do a open house like showing this weekend. I will have rental applications and answer questions. Should I have cookies and drinks lol! Any tips would be great!
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
I would skip the cookies and drinks ... more than likely you'll just wind up with cookie crumbs on the floor and depending on if there are little kids there, potentially a spilled drink or two. (I guess I just don't trust little kids.)
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
I would skip the cookies and drinks ... more than likely you'll just wind up with cookie crumbs on the floor and depending on if there are little kids there, potentially a spilled drink or two. (I guess I just don't trust little kids.)
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
I suggest for snow on the ground makes sure you have a rug in the entry to wipe feet and I keep something to wipe up any wet spots. For applications some people just leave them out but I prefer to hand them to people only if they are interested I need to connect a face with the applicant. I make sticky notes to attach to the application to trigger my memory on who it is. I need the mental cue and you would be surprised what people say when they look at a place. I am not sure if it is needed but it is nice to have a tape measure in case they ask do you know the size of this room. For us since there are dormers the measurements aren't always straightforward.
I am also doing an open house Saturday, it is the first time I am just posting it that way. I am still scheduling a time for those that want one but my new lead off is I am showing on Saturday what time would you be able to come? for me it is more about no shows then volume of calls.
Investor · Vienna, VA · Member since 2011 · 158 posts · 45 votes
12y
I have had the most success with having a rental open house on Sunday between 11-2. People seem to have more time on Sunday and like to look at open houses after church. Besides advertising the open house, I put out a bunch of "rental open house" signs leading from the main road to the property. I have gotten many more people this way then just telling folks to stop by.
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
A few other things I do:
1. Have all the lights on, as someone else posted. This way someone doesn't have to figure out where the light switches are.
2. Arrive early because even if you post for it to start at 1 pm, there are sometimes people who come early.
3. I usually have applications set up on two spots on the kitchen counter, so that there is someplace to write. Having clipboards is also another idea.
4. I have an "info sheet" that describes the place, with some pictures, and hand them to people when they arrive. Many times people look at one place after another all on one day (especially on a weekend) and this makes your place more memorable.
5. Introduce yourself and greet people when they arrive. Get their names and let them know where applications are. Let them know you're available for questions, but I don't follow people around.
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 244 votes
12y
I would be sure you have extra help, since everyone seems to show up 15 minutes before open house ends.
Not exactly what your asking but I would also be sure my lease included...
Build in rent increases annually
identify a credit agency to use and charge $20 with each application. Time & Date them in the order recieved. Work through them int hat order to find the tenant you approve.
begins now and ends in April (best tiem to fidn new tenants)
Is two or three years in length
Know the amount you are charging for non-refundable pet deposits or increased monthly payment. also do not take in dogs on the aggressive list or insurance may drop you.
Have a business card to your insurance agent and insist they buy Renters Insurance.
DO NOT TAKE A CHECK!! Insist on money order or certified check for first months rent. Nothing more fun than evicting a person who's first check bounces.
Investor · Hamilton, OH · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 27 votes
12y
I just got done with my open house style showing.... I did what most suggested here, even though I am only now reading it. Tape measure is a hit for those who have trouble visualizing there furniture in a new space. For my particular instance, I talked with around 25 people and told them about the showing, and only ONE person showed. I was so disappointed. Felt like I truly wasted my time. But after I left, I began to re-advertise online and I am getting good responses again. So I guess this is that PERSISTANCE that the podcasts keep referencing.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
@Dustan Marshall Sorry you had a poor turnout but keep looking. Pre-screen before you show so you can focus your time on promising candidates. Even then I think particularly at this time of year people are flakey.
I had a few show, some promising but some very interested candidates that no showed. And the prize goes to the no show who chased me to see it ( sent 8 emails and had 1 phonecall) and eventually emailed I am not interested because it doesn't have enough bathrooms and it is too far out of town. I did not move the house... and the ad says 1 bathroom... can you read.....
@Mary Mateika how did you make out with your open house.?
Rockford, IL · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes
12y
Hi Colleen,
We had a bit of a snow storm so the roads were bad. I had like 14 people that said they would show and I had 5. I really liked my first applicant that showed up. We had talked several times through emails. She looks great on the rental application so I sent her a application through smartmove. I hope she checks out!
I had to laugh Colleen. I had one of them to that kept bothering me and than didn't show lol!
I like the open house I will do it again when needed!
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
12y
I only give applications to those I want as renters. If I feel that they are tire kicking or something that bothers me I don't hand out the application form, I just say to contact me if they wish to apply.
If they are handed an application or if they gave me their application I always ask to see their ID to make sure the person who showed is the person who applied. I don't make a copy but I verify a few items on the application form against their drivers license.
I don't do cookies and milk but I do put out a dozen or so chilled bottled water for them.
I arrive an hour early to turn AC down to 74 degrees and to open blinds and draperies to get as much natural light as possible into the house.
I will lit a very mild scented candle.
At times I debated if I should put a tip jar on the kitchen counter and put in a few $5s and see what happens.
If the interest is very keen I will offer for them to hold the property with a reserve property form.
@Dustan Marshall How are you doing with your search?
I think after a bunch of showings I finally got a good one. Looks good on smartmove. Lots of people in transition this time of year and some of them need a reality check on how much they need to afford a rental.
. I agree with @Sam Leon I don't hand them an application if I don't want them/ think they will qualify. If they insist ok but I don't offer.
Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 4 votes
12y
When I advertise for an open house and try to book appointments for it people usually don't show up. I guess they feel if it's an "open house" it will go on with or without them. Open houses are only good for getting leads as an RE agent and for nosy neighbors.
Have you tried booking all the rental appointments for the same day in 10-15 min. Increments? That way if someone doesn't show, you aren't waiting too long, and if it works out correctly, you're creating a sense of urgency by asking the next showing politely to wait outside a couple minutes. Everyone knows they aren't the only one and there is a bunch of interest in your hot poroperty.
Anyhow, it's worked for me.
My search ended with a renter... I have collected deposit as well as first months rent. We have signed the lease agreement. I am very excited! Looking forward to the process in general. But I guess the big question will be Feb 1, when I attempt to collect rent for the first time ever! With me luck
Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
12y
Rental demand is high here so open houses have worked well for me. I just advertise it on Craigslist, with the address listed, a 4 hour time block, on the weekend. Like others have said, have a clipboard to take notes on because it all becomes a blur. I write down the persons name along with some notes that I don't let them see like "the guy with the crazy hair and leopard skin pants", whatever will jar my not so great memory. I leave the applications out for everybody to take so I don't appear to be discriminating.
Rockford, IL · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes
12y
Hi Colleen I hope it works for out for you! and everyone else who have posted.
Yes I have my tenant! She passed with flying colors. I am knocking on wood I don't want to jinx myself lol. Everyone filled out a application except for one girl she took it with her and was going mail it to me. Never got it as of today.
I didn't advertise a open house just I received so many calls I set appointments from 1-3 and made it into one. I also kept notes and got alot of emails from craigslist.
Want to say Good luck to you Dustan!
Sam Leon can you tell me more about your reserve property form?
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
Happy for you Mary. I do the same I set appointments but also if someone doesn't know when they are free I say I will say come by I will be here from 1-3. For applications, I ask them to scan them to me, mail is so slow here.
Good Luck to you Dustan when you hand over the keys and get that first check!
Sometimes I just have to have the outcome on the threads, I wonder how everyone has made out.
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
12y
I'm going to try an open house for a place that will be vacant on the 15th to rent it for the 1st. I've gotten about 10 responses since Friday to the Craigslist ad. My question is about choosing a tenant among acceptable candidates. Usually I make appointments and go with the first application from an acceptable tenant, but in an open house that seems silly. Is it just just sorting them by desirability and working your way through the list till you get a lease? Or sort by desirability AND odds they'll actually sign so you don't waste time?
I must say the one thing I don't like about open houses, having had "virtual open houses" as scheduled people overlap, is that the showing is by far the best time to evaluate the tenant, and multiples interfere with that. I've often decided whether I want them or not just walking them through.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
Set your criteria and stick to it. Take the COMPLETED applications in the order received. If they are incomplete reject them but it is up to you if you wish to go back to those people and say hey you missed this part. I find that it mostly sorts itself out. I will bypass applications that are incomplete but I also admit I verbally encourage good candidates more to get the application in complete and as soon as possible. I won't stop people who are not qualified from applying but I won't encourage them. That being said not everyone who comes or looks good at first in the end is good. What you are saying about simultaneous consideration is fine if what you are doing is setting aside non-qualified applicants and not processing the application. So yes if you want to pick someone who came and has adequate income over someone who does not that's okay. Be careful of fair housing though when you pick applicants. You may also discriminate on occupancy date and other non-protected classes when sorting applications.
Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
12y
@Johann Jells I hand out an application to prospects and tell them please call me if they decide it is the unit they want. This allows me to pick who appears the best fit if several call back. When they call back to say they want the unit, I then have them return to me the application and credit fee money, and I take it from there.
I personally don't like open houses because of the factor you mentioned - it is too distracting for me if more than one prospect is arriving or departing at the same time. So I stagger the appointments by 15 minutes. That way people will still see others looking so it will create a sense of urgency if they like the apartment.
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
12y
Thanks Dan, I've found the 15 min thing always breaks down, no shows and late's make it either crowded or empty. This one especially is a PITA being a 4th fl walkup in the multi where I live, I don't want to sit there twiddling thumbs nor run up and down the stairs 18 times!