Should I allow tent to install 220v outlet in Garage for his compressor.

Should I allow tent to install 220v outlet in Garage for his compressor.

Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes

So my long-term tenant is asking permission to install a 220v outlet in the Garage for his furniture project. He wants to use his compressor. Should I allow it? If I do, what precautions should I take, like pulling a permit or letting my insurance know? Thanks in advance. 

1Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

It should be done by a master electrician, who will know if a permit is needed.

There is also the question of if the renter pays for this and leaves, who owns the outlet and wiring.

It would be wise also for you to handle the electrician as your guy/gal, and you pay the bills for the stuff.

How you would handle billing the renter is your call.

That way you remain in control and if the structure burns as a result of a faulty install, the electrician should have his number on it.

If you are going to do it, just ask the renter where he wants it and then you take over.

It is possible the SFH may not have enough electrical AMPs to power this equipment.

If it's a duplex compressors can be very loud.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    It should be done by a master electrician, who will know if a permit is needed.

    There is also the question of if the renter pays for this and leaves, who owns the outlet and wiring.

    It would be wise also for you to handle the electrician as your guy/gal, and you pay the bills for the stuff.

    How you would handle billing the renter is your call.

    That way you remain in control and if the structure burns as a result of a faulty install, the electrician should have his number on it.

    If you are going to do it, just ask the renter where he wants it and then you take over.

    It is possible the SFH may not have enough electrical AMPs to power this equipment.

    If it's a duplex compressors can be very loud.

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3y

    For a “long term tenant” i would probably cover 1/2 assuming if they stay even 1 extra month it will more than pay for itself. Plus you can advertise EV charging outlet for the next tenant. 

    But as mentioned.  You get 2-3 quotes, choose one and tell tenant how much it will be. Pay it yourself and get reimbursed. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Great tenant, I may consider it. But I really don't like tenants doing business out of my properties, if this is a business. Do it by permit/professional in case the place burns down.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Angela Mehri:

    So my long-term tenant is asking permission to install a 220v outlet in the Garage for his furniture project. He wants to use his compressor. Should I allow it? If I do, what precautions should I take, like pulling a permit or letting my insurance know? Thanks in advance. 


     I would allow it as long as this is a personal project, not a business. I assume he pays the electric bill? I would require a written agreement that states exactly what is allowed, who will do the work, who pays for it, and what happens with the improvement when he leaves. Don't leave anything open.

    I can share my form if you DM a request.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y

    If he is an amazing tenant and has been there for a while, I would probably allow it but it needs to be done my a licensed and insured electrician (not a handyman) and with a permit. However, that being said, I would expect the tenant to pay for it especially if he will be using for a business purpose (but it is up to you if your comfortable with a business being run out of your property). For the electric bill every month, if your tenant pays it already, nothing to do there but if it is a shared bill and you pay it, you're going to want to bill an extra portion out. 

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Not sure what your state and local laws allow, but make sure you are allowed to operate a business there. You might need a permit or license to do so. In my area, if you're running a business without a license and you get caught, the responsibility falls on the homeowner.

    In regards to the installation, I would have a trusted electrician complete the work. I would maybe pay for material and they pay for labor. Equipment stays at the property even if tenant vacates

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 591 Reviews
    View Page
  • Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2023 · 101 posts · 77 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Seconded. Any tenant wanting to improve my property is okay in my book. Especially if they're paying for it. Get all the plans and details in writing so you can give specific written approvals. 
  • Developer · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2018 · 311 posts · 384 votes
    3y

    The cost will depend on how long the wire needs to be. If your panel is inside the garage, you can add a 240V outlet underneath the panel if there's room and at a minimum it should cost $350 and I had people quoted me for $500. If you need to pull some long wires, expect it to be $1200 to $1500. Simply ask your tenant is that the price he's willing to pay. If not, what's his budget and are you willing to split it with the tenant. 

    If tenant agrees to pay that, I would get three quotes from a master electrician along with necessary drywall patch and paint job. Have the tenant signs an agreement that the tenant will pay for the cost, maybe 50% upfront and 50% when the job is done. 

    In FL real estate law, don't quote me working off memory here: if the improvement is permanently attached to the property, it's an essential part of the property's functionality it's costly to remove or causing property damage to remove, that improvement is considered a fixture to the property and no longer belongs to the tenant even the tenant pays for it. And the tenant cannot take it with them when they leave. Maybe check your state law on fixture vs personal property and see if you have to write "who owns the improvement" into the lease.  

  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Thank you, everyone, for all the information. The tenant has a full-time job, and I send my handyman friend to do periodic inspections on the property. I am pretty much sure he is not running any business. In my original lease, running any business on the property was strictly forbidden. But I will definitely mention it again and have everything written up. 
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    At some point we are probably all going to have to install at least 1 220 in the garage for ev chargers so I’d see this as getting ahead of it.  I’d allow it but just be clear that this is something they are responsible for and it must be done by a licensed electrician and is staying with the house when they move.  If they truly value it then it should be no problem and if they don’t want to pay for it then it really wasn’t that important.  I’m also not against you paying parts and then paying the installation depending on the cost.  I do question though what someone would be doing needing a compressor with a 220 and would bet they are doing side jobs on cars in the garage.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y

    Pick a licensed electrician you trust, inform the tenant he will install it, and bill the tenant. If he's willing to do that, I don't see any issue! I love my side projects too, I'm sure he'll really appreciate it and he respected you enough to ask your permission. That sounds like a good tenant!

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    3y

    I'm in the crowd that says go for it as well.  I would just add an addendum to the lease (the lease should prohibit alterations to the property) and include the info in the addendum for how the cost of the 220 is split, who owns it at lease termination and who is allowed to install it (master electrician).  

    The tenants who want to do serious improvements to the properties are the BEST!  I always go out of my way to make sure they're happy and will stay in and take care of my property for as long as possible.

    Good luck

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Adam Martin:

    At some point we are probably all going to have to install at least 1 220 in the garage for ev chargers so I’d see this as getting ahead of it.  I’d allow it but just be clear that this is something they are responsible for and it must be done by a licensed electrician and is staying with the house when they move.  If they truly value it then it should be no problem and if they don’t want to pay for it then it really wasn’t that important.  I’m also not against you paying parts and then paying the installation depending on the cost.  I do question though what someone would be doing needing a compressor with a 220 and would bet they are doing side jobs on cars in the garage.  

    When that happens re the EV chargers expect your electric rates to skyrocket as the place the hidden gasoline taxes on the electric service you pay for.

    And when they have you hooked on these electric cars, expect there to be no incentives in the tax code for having them (that's just candy from a stranger). 

    End result your transportation will probably cost a lot more yearly, and then there will be used battery disposal fees too.

    Just my 2 Cents.


     
  • Member since 2008 · 30 posts · 23 votes
    3y

    Absolutely! That is a great feature to have long term. A few thoughts, some of which have already been covered: 

    1. Adjust and resign the lease if necessary - double check what they already signed and see if should be revised. For example, your lease might say no repairs should be complete by the tenant. 

    2.  Get the request in writing - have them specify the ask in detail and in writing 

    3.  Require proof of permits and inspections, and proof of insurance from the contractor

    4. Sign a liability waiver - this might be covered in the lease already. You want no liability for something that might happen from the installation 

  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blake Novotney:

    Pick a licensed electrician you trust, inform the tenant he will install it, and bill the tenant. If he's willing to do that, I don't see any issue! I love my side projects too, I'm sure he'll really appreciate it and he respected you enough to ask your permission. That sounds like a good tenant!


    Yes, he and his wife are excellent tenants. I always get rent before the month even begins. And he asked permission as well as wanted to cover all the costs. I have a veteran master electrician whom I can trust. Thanks for your advise.
  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Adam Martin:

    At some point we are probably all going to have to install at least 1 220 in the garage for ev chargers so I’d see this as getting ahead of it.  I’d allow it but just be clear that this is something they are responsible for and it must be done by a licensed electrician and is staying with the house when they move.  If they truly value it then it should be no problem and if they don’t want to pay for it then it really wasn’t that important.  I’m also not against you paying parts and then paying the installation depending on the cost.  I do question though what someone would be doing needing a compressor with a 220 and would bet they are doing side jobs on cars in the garage.  


     Yes, I think I will share the cost and use my electrician. Since it will be permanently installed, I don't think it's fair for my tenant to pay for everything even though he wants to pay 100%. 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2022 · 125 posts · 124 votes
    3y

    Not unless you are comfortable with the litigation risk. Let's say he gets electrocuted during the install and dies. His family sues you. Now you have no tenant and lawyer fees, insurance deductible, etc. Much cheaper to hire an electrician yourself and pay for the install. As a good rule of thumb, never let your tenants do any work on your properties. You don't know what quality of work they (or the person they hire) will do, and you open yourself to all kinds of risks.

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    As a realtor, it is important that you consider the safety of your property and the tenant while allowing them to install an outlet in the garage. A permit should be pulled so that your local building codes are met and it may be wise to inform your insurance company as well. Make sure you have clear expectations set with your tenant before going ahead with this project so that all parties involved understand what's expected. Good luck!

  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Not unless you are comfortable with the litigation risk. Let's say he gets electrocuted during the install and dies. His family sues you. Now you have no tenant and lawyer fees, insurance deductible, etc. Much cheaper to hire an electrician yourself and pay for the install. As a good rule of thumb, never let your tenants do any work on your properties. You don't know what quality of work they (or the person they hire) will do, and you open yourself to all kinds of risks.

    Great advice, I am using my licensed and insured electrician, and as @Ben Miller mentioned I will have them sign a liability waiver. 

  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    3y

    I wouldn't pull any permits. It's not rocket science any licensed electrician should handle this easily. Would you pull a permit to add a outlet in your living room? Not in my area. The expensive part depends on how far the plug will be from the breaker box.  

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Angela Mehri:

    So my long-term tenant is asking permission to install a 220v outlet in the Garage for his furniture project. He wants to use his compressor. Should I allow it? If I do, what precautions should I take, like pulling a permit or letting my insurance know? Thanks in advance. 

    Just for chuckles you should be told the difference between 120v and 220v. 120v tingles and you notice it, 220v kills. 

    You have to know if the box can carry the load. You could have a 60 amp, 100 amp, or 200 amp service and it matters. You need to know if there is a breaker that can handle it, if there is space to add the breaker if you don't have one and you have to run the wire safely and sometimes you have to have a disconnect and you have to have the appropriate connector.  All that being said, I'd probably go for it.

    But be sure to have someone who knows what they are doing, put it together.

  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Angela Mehri:

    So my long-term tenant is asking permission to install a 220v outlet in the Garage for his furniture project. He wants to use his compressor. Should I allow it? If I do, what precautions should I take, like pulling a permit or letting my insurance know? Thanks in advance. 

    Just for chuckles you should be told the difference between 120v and 220v. 120v tingles and you notice it, 220v kills. 

    You have to know if the box can carry the load. You could have a 60 amp, 100 amp, or 200 amp service and it matters. You need to know if there is a breaker that can handle it, if there is space to add the breaker if you don't have one and you have to run the wire safely and sometimes you have to have a disconnect and you have to have the appropriate connector.  All that being said, I'd probably go for it.

    But be sure to have someone who knows what they are doing, put it together.


    Thank you for your suggestion. I didn't know about that. I will check with the electrician. He already pulled the permit. Aren't the city supposed to verify all of those before approving the final work?
  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    I wouldn't pull any permits. It's not rocket science any licensed electrician should handle this easily. Would you pull a permit to add a outlet in your living room? Not in my area. The expensive part depends on how far the plug will be from the breaker box.  


    I actually called the city of Carrollton to verify if that is needed. They said you must pull a permit to do any electrical repair or add anything.
  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 870 posts · 823 votes
    3y

    Like most in here, I'd allow it if he's been a great tenant but make sure it gets done by a legit electrician. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Angela Mehri:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Angela Mehri:

    So my long-term tenant is asking permission to install a 220v outlet in the Garage for his furniture project. He wants to use his compressor. Should I allow it? If I do, what precautions should I take, like pulling a permit or letting my insurance know? Thanks in advance. 

    Just for chuckles you should be told the difference between 120v and 22

    Thank you for your suggestion. I didn't know about that. I will check with the electrician. He already pulled the permit. Aren't the city supposed to verify all of those before approving the final work?

    For a small job like that the inspector will probably look it over and see right away if there are any problems. On larger projects, my experience is that inspectors do "spot checks". They inspect a piece here and a piece there. You should be fine if you are using a licensed and insured electrician who is pulling a permit.

    Sometimes though, the final inspection isn't done for various reasons and you have to make sure the final inspection gets signed off.

    Personally, I wouldn't write the last check until the final inspection is approved.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.