Tenant Left Home Covered in Roaches - when can i re-rent?

Tenant Left Home Covered in Roaches - when can i re-rent?

Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 31 votes

We recently had a long term tenant move out of one of our single family homes and she left it absolutely covered in roaches- like falling out of the ceiling covered. I know our property management was NOT good on this one  we should have been checking on the house but she was there for so long and didn't used to be disguising so we fell out of checking on her. Lesson learned.   

Anyway, we are getting professionals involved BUT they say they can't just "bomb" the house (it's illegal in Michigan??) and it will require multiple trips and could take months or longer to eliminate this issue. So do I just have to sit on this house being empty while I wait to get rid of the roaches? Morally, I cannot rent to someone if I know the house has bugs. Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do?

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Randall AlanPro Member
Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Tiffany Roberts:

We recently had a long term tenant move out of one of our single family homes and she left it absolutely covered in roaches- like falling out of the ceiling covered. I know our property management was NOT good on this one  we should have been checking on the house but she was there for so long and didn't used to be disguising so we fell out of checking on her. Lesson learned.   

Anyway, we are getting professionals involved BUT they say they can't just "bomb" the house (it's illegal in Michigan??) and it will require multiple trips and could take months or longer to eliminate this issue. So do I just have to sit on this house being empty while I wait to get rid of the roaches? Morally, I cannot rent to someone if I know the house has bugs. Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do?

@Tiffany Roberts

Generally speaking, roaches are not that difficult to get rid of.  Even the smaller German ones can be eradicated in a few trips across a couple of weeks.  We have a lot of units, and have had some pretty serious infestations.  It has never taken longer than a month to cure any of them… and our pest control people don’t “bomb” the units… they are usually spraying the crevices, or baiting the German ones.  

If you aren’t getting good results with your current pest control, I would see about switching to a different one. It shouldn’t be a months long process… usually several weeks from all that I have experienced. 

All the best!

Randy 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Check out ozone machines, which can also address smells and bedbugs.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I'd also call another company to see what they say.  Try the ozone machine Michael suggested, they don't cost a lot.  You may need to do it more than once depending on how long it takes for eggs to hatch.  Use it before you start cleaning up, then again after everything is out.

  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tiffany Roberts:

    We recently had a long term tenant move out of one of our single family homes and she left it absolutely covered in roaches- like falling out of the ceiling covered. I know our property management was NOT good on this one  we should have been checking on the house but she was there for so long and didn't used to be disguising so we fell out of checking on her. Lesson learned.   

    Anyway, we are getting professionals involved BUT they say they can't just "bomb" the house (it's illegal in Michigan??) and it will require multiple trips and could take months or longer to eliminate this issue. So do I just have to sit on this house being empty while I wait to get rid of the roaches? Morally, I cannot rent to someone if I know the house has bugs. Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do?

    @Tiffany Roberts

    Generally speaking, roaches are not that difficult to get rid of.  Even the smaller German ones can be eradicated in a few trips across a couple of weeks.  We have a lot of units, and have had some pretty serious infestations.  It has never taken longer than a month to cure any of them… and our pest control people don’t “bomb” the units… they are usually spraying the crevices, or baiting the German ones.  

    If you aren’t getting good results with your current pest control, I would see about switching to a different one. It shouldn’t be a months long process… usually several weeks from all that I have experienced. 

    All the best!

    Randy 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tiffany Roberts:

    Keep checking around. You should see dramatic results within days and they can be completely eradicated in about four weeks.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner and @Randall Alan  thanks so much for the advice. I'll check out some other pest control companies and see if they have any faster options for me.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.