Leaving washer and dryer at rental property

Most Popular Reply

Noah BaconPro Member
Property Manager 路 Lansdale, PA 路 Member since 2021 路 826 posts 路 1k+ votes
3y

Hey Shalini!

Yes! Make sure they are listed under a section in your lease that clearly outlines what appliances are supplied with the rental property. 

Example Below馃憞: 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Noah BaconPro Member
    Property Manager 路 Lansdale, PA 路 Member since 2021 路 826 posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey Shalini!

    Yes! Make sure they are listed under a section in your lease that clearly outlines what appliances are supplied with the rental property. 

    Example Below馃憞: 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Narragansett, RI 路 Member since 2013 路 8k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Shalini Chawala  if you are a tenant leaving it behind ask your LL. They may be fine with it. 

    If you are moving out and you will be the LL I would outline in the lease whether you will repair or not.  I would say not. 

  • Member since 2023 路 3 posts 路 0 votes
    3y

    Thank you!

    I am the LL so I will update the lease to specify they are provided and that owner won't repair them.

  • Property Manager 路 Charlotte, NC 路 Member since 2022 路 138 posts 路 87 votes
    3y

    @Shalini Chawala it is absolutely acceptable! It's your property, you make the rules! :) I would ensure to list them on your lease agreement, in an addendum or a clause perhaps. Ensure that the tenants know the requirements for maintenance / upkeep. If you have warranty on them, then there is less for you to worry about in retrospect, if you do not have warranty and the renters damage them, you'll just have to factor that cost for repairs into your budget, if you haven't already. I would also suggest if the renters caused the need for repair, holding them financially responsible and charging them for the repair to the penny with an invoice.

    I am a seasoned property manager for multi and single family homes, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!!

  • Honolulu, HI 路 Member since 2008 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    Have a plan in case the Tenant has their own set they want to use. Storage, or remove and dispose, or sell online. It also matters whether this is a condo or a detached single family home. What is typical for similar properties in your area?

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Shalini Chawala Depending on the property and the quality of the washer and dryer we may charge an extra $50 rent for the privilege of having them included. Most tenants hate going to the laundromat and having to come up with quarters each week or else use a debit card now some places.

    If I buy them for a unit they are basic knob style $600 or so apiece version of usually whatever the box store has on sale. They are easy to use, easy to maintain, and easy to repair. Absolutely no electronic or digital parts. I had two sets of these in two different B&Bs that ran 15 loads apiece per day for 10 years without breaking. Perfect for tenant use.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    3y

    It's acceptable, but you should be prepared for the Tenants to damage them. Washer/dryer is one of the most abused appliances.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Tylere WeaverPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 upstate new york 路 Member since 2023 路 54 posts 路 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shalini Chawala:

    Thank you!

    I am the LL so I will update the lease to specify they are provided and that owner won't repair them.

    I sell them to the tenant.  That way if they break them not my problem.  I also make a few extra bucks.  They end up leaving them when they leave and I sell them again.  


  • Real Estate Consultant 路 Cleveland 路 Member since 2020 路 6k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shalini Chawala:

    Is it ok to leave washer and dryer at rental property? 

    Of course, however I never supply appliances, when they breck it's your problem, If they bring in their own, it's their problem.
    HIRE  A  PM CO PLEASE 

  • Dave KushPro Member
    Frankfort, IL 路 Member since 2022 路 204 posts 路 132 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shalini Chawala:

    Thank you!

    I am the LL so I will update the lease to specify they are provided and that owner won't repair them.


    Say it to them as well. Point at the section in the lease when you do. Later, when the machine breaks, you will have one more way to end it quickly. 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Metro Detroit 路 Member since 2023 路 4k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    3y

    As long as your lease states they are as-is, where-is and tenant responsible for any storage if they do not want to use.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Kansas City, MO 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 492 votes
    3y

    I usually don't provide them. In rare cases I have, it's always noted on the lease and I don't provide maintenance for them. W/D maintenance can at times be more expensive than kitchen appliances!

  • Member since 2023 路 3 posts 路 0 votes
    3y

    Thank you all for the responses, much appreciated!

    I will have the lease updated accordingly

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.