Tenant keeps getting mold in bathroom.

Tenant keeps getting mold in bathroom.

Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 4 votes

I bought a triplex over a year ago. One of the tenants, who seems to be clean, the times I have entered their property, had a window trim in her bathroom that was full of mold and kept spreading when she cleaned it. The window trim could not be fully cleaned, so I replaced the window trim and made sure the bathroom was very clean. I fixed the exhaust fan which had no connection to the outside, and her window works fine. Now one year later at an annual inspection the mold is almost the way it was in the beginning! I thought I had done everything I could to fix the issue. To start off, I think the tenant should have let me know sooner before it got this bad, am I wrong? And is this an issue I should fix? Is there anything that is my responsibility that can cause this? Or is this a tenant issue? Please help!

0Reply
255 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

The window is IN the shower. It is going to get water splashed on it all throughout the shower. The ONLY way to get rid of the mold is to get rid of a window that LOW. Take that window out and put in a smaller window that is higher that does not get wet once or twice per day. No amount of ventilation is going to keep it mold free.

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    2y

    @Alexander Rodriguez

    It seem your tiles are white.  If so, you don't need to worry about size match as long as they are white.  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    a) This is 100% on the tenant, I would send her a letter expressing your dissatisfaction and warning her that the fan must be turned on during use.

    b) Either get rid of the window entirely or tile right up to it. Don't worry if the tiles match, just use a colored tile as an accent. Or use a trim like Azek that is a PVC product, and caulk the heck out of it.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alexander Rodriguez:

    I bought a triplex over a year ago. One of the tenants, who seems to be clean, the times I have entered their property, had a window trim in her bathroom that was full of mold and kept spreading when she cleaned it. The window trim could not be fully cleaned, so I replaced the window trim and made sure the bathroom was very clean. I fixed the exhaust fan which had no connection to the outside, and her window works fine. Now one year later at an annual inspection the mold is almost the way it was in the beginning! I thought I had done everything I could to fix the issue. To start off, I think the tenant should have let me know sooner before it got this bad, am I wrong? And is this an issue I should fix? Is there anything that is my responsibility that can cause this? Or is this a tenant issue? Please help!


     Your mosture is behind your wall. We seen this nagging issue in old apartments we have worked in. At some point when it got there it never “dried” properly and from then on any amount of moisture in the front will cause that. I know pvc is not porous but with temperature in the back side (inside the wall) the front will easily develop this. Option is to open the wall, treat, encapsulate but not with kills, use a product like fiberlock, but you MUST allow every step to dry well otherwise its all useless. Feel free to call me with any questions O.T. Mendez 210.749.1000

  • Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Othon Mendez:
    Quote from @Alexander Rodriguez:

    I bought a triplex over a year ago. One of the tenants, who seems to be clean, the times I have entered their property, had a window trim in her bathroom that was full of mold and kept spreading when she cleaned it. The window trim could not be fully cleaned, so I replaced the window trim and made sure the bathroom was very clean. I fixed the exhaust fan which had no connection to the outside, and her window works fine. Now one year later at an annual inspection the mold is almost the way it was in the beginning! I thought I had done everything I could to fix the issue. To start off, I think the tenant should have let me know sooner before it got this bad, am I wrong? And is this an issue I should fix? Is there anything that is my responsibility that can cause this? Or is this a tenant issue? Please help!


     Your mosture is behind your wall. We seen this nagging issue in old apartments we have worked in. At some point when it got there it never “dried” properly and from then on any amount of moisture in the front will cause that. I know pvc is not porous but with temperature in the back side (inside the wall) the front will easily develop this. Option is to open the wall, treat, encapsulate but not with kills, use a product like fiberlock, but you MUST allow every step to dry well otherwise its all useless. Feel free to call me with any questions O.T. Mendez 210.749.1000


    Thanks for the advise. Do you think the issue is in this part of the wall only? Because there is mold growing in other parts of the bathroom as well. Like this closet, and it’s hard to clean since it’s so deep inside.

  • Frantz JosephPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 44 votes
    2y

    @Alexander Rodriguez

    I have a tenant which always seems to get mold buildup in her bathroom. I ended up switching the fan switch to a motion sensor switch so that it automatically turns on like the ones in public restrooms. Make sure you apply kills on that mold so it will kill it and don’t allow it to grow. These people are nasty, they do not clean their bathroom and at the end of their term I would not renew them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Had a similar window setup & problem so we replaced it with glass block. I upgraded the exhaust fan & wired it to the bathroom lights no issue since.

    Also noticed another apartment starting to have a slight mold issue. It began when we replaced the old HW tank with an on-demand system. Water is now so hot they must be having a steam bath inside the bathroom & I found that the chrome coated shower rod started to rust from so much residual water vapor. Repainted the walls etc with 'mold suppressive' paint & again upgraded the old exhaust fan. So far it worked.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    There's more than a mold issue here. I doubt that glass is tempered as required. Glass block and tile are probably the simplest solution. The sill should be one solid piece as tiled sills present a potential leak point at each of the grout joints. 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    There may be more going on here.

    Often, the mold may be INSIDE the wall and unless you address that - it will keep coming back no matter what you do.

    Tough to have to take out the whole wall, but sometimes needed.

    Also, check city requirements to make sure wiring the fan to the light is not a violation. 

    Another option is to replace the window with glassblock with a small vent that can be opened.

    NEVER put blinds in a shower - they just rot! Instead,just put opaque film on the window panes.

    Yes, tenants should have some responsibility to clean and alert you to issues they cannot easily address. Be sure to go over your lease carefully, so this is all spelled out legally.

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    There may be more going on here.

    Often, the mold may be INSIDE the wall and unless you address that - it will keep coming back no matter what you do.

    Tough to have to take out the whole wall, but sometimes needed.

    Also, check city requirements to make sure wiring the fan to the light is not a violation. 

    Another option is to replace the window with glassblock with a small vent that can be opened.

    NEVER put blinds in a shower - they just rot! Instead,just put opaque film on the window panes.

    Yes, tenants should have some responsibility to clean and alert you to issues they cannot easily address. Be sure to go over your lease carefully, so this is all spelled out legally.


     When you say tenants should have some responsibility to clean and alert us, do you think I should charge them to fix it? Or partially? If it’s behind the wall I’m not sure if it’s their fault since they can’t clean, but also I could’ve fixed it sooner and prevented it from spreading.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alexander Rodriguez:

    I bought a triplex over a year ago. One of the tenants, who seems to be clean, the times I have entered their property, had a window trim in her bathroom that was full of mold and kept spreading when she cleaned it. The window trim could not be fully cleaned, so I replaced the window trim and made sure the bathroom was very clean. I fixed the exhaust fan which had no connection to the outside, and her window works fine. Now one year later at an annual inspection the mold is almost the way it was in the beginning! I thought I had done everything I could to fix the issue. To start off, I think the tenant should have let me know sooner before it got this bad, am I wrong? And is this an issue I should fix? Is there anything that is my responsibility that can cause this? Or is this a tenant issue? Please help!


     There seems to be a leak somewhere IF NOT, tell them to clean once a week , 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Alexander Rodriguez you can only charge what your lease allows you to.

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Lansing, MI · Member since 2020 · 169 posts · 91 votes
    2y

    @Alexander Rodriguez

    Looks / sounds like the main issue is behind the wall / trim. Check outside to see if water is getting in behind the wall / window from the exterior. 

    Also, wood trim in a shower window is a terrible idea. Rip that off, treat the wall with mold killer, dry out, then replace the window trim with Azek (or similar) and caulk with 100% silicone. Maybe even slope your window sill to promote proper drainage. 

    I would classify this as a Landlord issue, in my opinion. 

    - Troy 

  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    2y

    The cheapest long term solution would be to rip up the tile and but a fiberglass surround. I had a similar situation. I just covered the window with sheetrock and put a fiberglass surround. No one will ever know there is a window there except from the outside. 

  • David BennettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Bothell, WA · Member since 2024 · 49 posts · 31 votes
    2y

    Calvin is correct.  That picture does not show any caulking.  In fact is shows gapping where moisture can seep.  If there is mold behind in the wall, even if you clean it regularly it will come out through the gaps and then spread.  You might need to see about a full mold mitigation. :-(

  • Member since 2024 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    The cheapest long term solution would be to rip up the tile and but a fiberglass surround. I had a similar situation. I just covered the window with sheetrock and put a fiberglass surround. No one will ever know there is a window there except from the outside. 


     This is absolutely the way to go.  Simple fix.  If it were me I would still tear into that wall and have a look.  

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    This is 100% tenant behavior. Sometimes it helps to provide a digital hygrometer for $9 on amazon and tell her to keep humidity below 60% at all times. Some people are visual learners... others get a non-renewal.

    Relative Humidity RH for mold to grow:

    I did not see if you mentioned what heating system you have. Forced air will usually make buildings be too dry for human comfort (under 40%) and certainly to dry for mold (needs 65%). We have a lot of 100 year old buildings in Milwaukee, most with no electric fan and often with a glassblock window in the shower - and even with that I do not see much mold.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    Glass block is a great idea.....I've used that and it is a good solution.

    I also second the idea to look inside the wall, if you have mold inside there, that could be huge trouble.

    And if you keep the window and have a tile trim, definitely make sure that the bottom 'sill' piece has a slight tilt to it so that water runs into the shower.

    Windows inside a shower are always a problem, it's just not a smart idea. Except a small window up high...

  • Chicago Area, IL · Member since 2024 · 54 posts · 49 votes
    2y

    Another example where spring/fall inspections are a good idea.

    1) You can look for leaks and other indicators to catch problems before they get to be huge expenses. Tenants that always call about everything are a pain, but tenants that never call are even worse for your bottom line.

    2) Replace smoke alarm batteries. These are normally tenant responsibilities, but if you have a fire, and they have removed the battery, or it is dead, who do you think will get the blame?

    3) Regular maintenance checks also go a ways in court to show you are not negligent, if you are being sued by a tenant. Also a great reason for one of the inspections. HVAC can be another. Whole house water filters, water softeners, and filters in the kitchen are also good for 6 month checks.

    4) Regular checks can also be used to check for tenants destroying the property, or swapping out appliances for cheaper ones. Letting garbage pile up can also attract bugs and rodents. Even if they only clean when you are coming thru, that is better than years of piling up.

    5) Gives you information to determine if you want to renew the lease.

    6) If you have regular inspections, then if a tenant is withholding rent, it gives you the opportunity to check on your property.

    Older homes with radiators and no fans in the bathroom are a nightmare. Plaster walls sagging from humidity, mold and other germs, wood deteriorating. All resulting from poor circulation. Tiles and caulking require regular checks and maintenance as needed. Sealing grout. Replacing caulk.Better to look for solutions that don't require as much, if you are looking for lower maintenance. But, of course, nicer bathrooms are required in higher rent properties.

    Options like humidity sensors on fans, and timers for outdoor lights are nice features. Some fans even come with sensors that turn on a night light when they sense motion at night. While these cost a little more, depending on the rental, it can give the feeling of luxury, without costing a lot.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.