I bought a triplex over a year ago. One of the tenants, who seems to be clean, the times I have entered their property, had a window trim in her bathroom that was full of mold and kept spreading when she cleaned it. The window trim could not be fully cleaned, so I replaced the window trim and made sure the bathroom was very clean. I fixed the exhaust fan which had no connection to the outside, and her window works fine. Now one year later at an annual inspection the mold is almost the way it was in the beginning! I thought I had done everything I could to fix the issue. To start off, I think the tenant should have let me know sooner before it got this bad, am I wrong? And is this an issue I should fix? Is there anything that is my responsibility that can cause this? Or is this a tenant issue? Please help!
Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
The window is IN the shower. It is going to get water splashed on it all throughout the shower. The ONLY way to get rid of the mold is to get rid of a window that LOW. Take that window out and put in a smaller window that is higher that does not get wet once or twice per day. No amount of ventilation is going to keep it mold free.
Does she use the fan (ie turn it on before she start running the water in the tub/shower AND keep it running for 15 min after she's finished)? She should have told you before it got to that point.
Does she use the fan (ie turn it on before she start running the water in the tub/shower AND keep it running for 15 min after she's finished)? She should have told you before it got to that point.
She said she turns the fan on and leaves the door open after. Which are the things I told her to do last year. Obviously I can’t be sure of that.
Do you have anyway to check to make sure the bathroom is getting property ventilation. Usually mold is caused by moisture getting trapped and not being ventilated out of a space.
Do you have anyway to check to make sure the bathroom is getting property ventilation. Usually mold is caused by moisture getting trapped and not being ventilated out of a space.
I thought this was the issue last year. I can’t think of a way to check though. Last year I replaced the exhaust fan for one that is more than appropriate for that size bathroom and made sure it’s ducted to the outside. Other than that, the window works and the door works as well too.
Do you have anyway to check to make sure the bathroom is getting property ventilation. Usually mold is caused by moisture getting trapped and not being ventilated out of a space.
I thought this was the issue last year. I can’t think of a way to check though. Last year I replaced the exhaust fan for one that is more than appropriate for that size bathroom and made sure it’s ducted to the outside. Other than that, the window works and the door works as well too.
The tiles has to wrap around all the way to the window where it is just tiles-caulk-window. No wood. No PVC. Does exhaust turn on simultaneously with the light? There are exhaust fan that turn on automatically when it reaches certain humidity.
Do you have anyway to check to make sure the bathroom is getting property ventilation. Usually mold is caused by moisture getting trapped and not being ventilated out of a space.
I thought this was the issue last year. I can’t think of a way to check though. Last year I replaced the exhaust fan for one that is more than appropriate for that size bathroom and made sure it’s ducted to the outside. Other than that, the window works and the door works as well too.
The tiles has to wrap around all the way to the window where it is just tiles-caulk-window. No wood. No PVC. Does exhaust turn on simultaneously with the light? There are exhaust fan that turn on automatically when it reaches certain humidity.
The exhaust fan doesn’t turn on with the light simultaneously, it has its own switch. I would assume that it’s her responsibility that it turns in when it’s humid.
Do you have anyway to check to make sure the bathroom is getting property ventilation. Usually mold is caused by moisture getting trapped and not being ventilated out of a space.
I thought this was the issue last year. I can’t think of a way to check though. Last year I replaced the exhaust fan for one that is more than appropriate for that size bathroom and made sure it’s ducted to the outside. Other than that, the window works and the door works as well too.
The tiles has to wrap around all the way to the window where it is just tiles-caulk-window. No wood. No PVC. Does exhaust turn on simultaneously with the light? There are exhaust fan that turn on automatically when it reaches certain humidity.
The exhaust fan doesn’t turn on with the light simultaneously, it has its own switch. I would assume that it’s her responsibility that it turns in when it’s humid.
And you take her word for it? I believe you can wire the light and fan to one switch. That may solve the problem.
Do you have anyway to check to make sure the bathroom is getting property ventilation. Usually mold is caused by moisture getting trapped and not being ventilated out of a space.
I thought this was the issue last year. I can’t think of a way to check though. Last year I replaced the exhaust fan for one that is more than appropriate for that size bathroom and made sure it’s ducted to the outside. Other than that, the window works and the door works as well too.
The tiles has to wrap around all the way to the window where it is just tiles-caulk-window. No wood. No PVC. Does exhaust turn on simultaneously with the light? There are exhaust fan that turn on automatically when it reaches certain humidity.
The exhaust fan doesn’t turn on with the light simultaneously, it has its own switch. I would assume that it’s her responsibility that it turns in when it’s humid.
And you take her word for it? I believe you can wire the light and fan to one switch. That may solve the problem.
Hmm you might be right. But what if she showers during the day and they don’t want to turn on the light?
Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
2y
@Alexander Rodriguez occasionally we run into this problem with tenants and we rewire the exhaust fan so there’s only one switch to turn the light and the fan on at the same time. It almost always solves the problem if the fan is functional.
Do you have anyway to check to make sure the bathroom is getting property ventilation. Usually mold is caused by moisture getting trapped and not being ventilated out of a space.
I thought this was the issue last year. I can’t think of a way to check though. Last year I replaced the exhaust fan for one that is more than appropriate for that size bathroom and made sure it’s ducted to the outside. Other than that, the window works and the door works as well too.
The tiles has to wrap around all the way to the window where it is just tiles-caulk-window. No wood. No PVC. Does exhaust turn on simultaneously with the light? There are exhaust fan that turn on automatically when it reaches certain humidity.
The exhaust fan doesn’t turn on with the light simultaneously, it has its own switch. I would assume that it’s her responsibility that it turns in when it’s humid.
And you take her word for it? I believe you can wire the light and fan to one switch. That may solve the problem.
Hmm you might be right. But what if she showers during the day and they don’t want to turn on the light?
That you cannot help but you can bet the exhaust fan will be used more than if it was on a separate switch. Plus, put the tiles all the way to the window with caulk being the only thing between the window and tiles. Good luck.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
2y
This is caused by the tenant and she should be charged for it.
Mold requires to things: water and a food source (usually dust). If you have mold, you have a source of moisture. In this case, the tenant is failing to use the ventilation options provided her. Not only does she fail to ventilate properly, but she fails to clean the mold that is clearly visible!
Charge her, get rid of her, start fresh with a new renter. And I definitely recommend connecting the ventilation fan to the light switch so it always operates when they are in the bathroom.
Property Manager · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes
2y
First post on Bigger Pockets!
As a current property manager, your lease should have clauses regarding the tenant's proper use of the HVAC system. Like Nathan says above, I also agree the tenant should be charged or provided with a notice to cure the lease violation. She has failed to keep the unit in acceptable condition and also failed to report it to you.
Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
The window is IN the shower. It is going to get water splashed on it all throughout the shower. The ONLY way to get rid of the mold is to get rid of a window that LOW. Take that window out and put in a smaller window that is higher that does not get wet once or twice per day. No amount of ventilation is going to keep it mold free.
On PVC there is no way a normal tenant would let the mold get that bad and not say anything. Something is clearly up especially if your other tenants are not having any problems.
Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
2y
Window in a shower is always going to require more upkeep, which as we all know, tenants rarely will do. We always try to remove them where the additional light from outside or ventilation isnt needed, when needed, we have replaced with glass block or nicer unit we built custom non functioning window out of pvc. I'm going to guess your going to fight that window setup until the day its gone.
What we also do is put fan on a timer switch, tenants seem to more responsive to simply pushing 15 minutes etc on switch vs leaving fan on and having to come back and shut off. Remind them, fan should run for about 15 minutes additional after they leave bath.
This is a pic of my bathroom. The window is only 18" from floor. No mold. Tiles all around the window. This is cheaper than replacing to smaller window or placing window higher.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
2y
@Alexander Rodriguez its on the tenant but one fix is to make the fan stay on by making sure it goes on with the light or a sensor. Also they need to dry that area if it keeps growing mold. If it is just the one spot are they hanging something above there? Is there a hook or something because it's not on the other side. or do they get condensation there when they open the window? Why wait that long to clean it? I told my one tenants with this problem forget the cleaners. Either get a spray bottle of bleach or vinegar to clean it on a regular basis.
This is a pic of my bathroom. The window is only 18" from floor. No mold. Tiles all around the window. This is cheaper than replacing to smaller window or placing window higher.
Thanks for the advise. I’m actually considering this. The only thing is that I probably won’t be able to find matching tiles. They are older. Do you know if I do this, can I put a trim on top to hide the non-matching tiles? It’d be decorative only. Also, upon looking further (I went back) I noticed that mold is in other places of the bathroom, like the closet, which is hard to clean. The photo below is a closet.
Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 14 votes
2y
When you did the first cleaning attempt, did you clean more than the moldy window trim? Mold spreads, and if it's anywhere else nearby it's likely to come back over and over. There's pretty obvious mold/mildew between the tiles.
Would also recommend against a textured finish and extended sill on the window. The texture will hold water, and the more sill, the more water it catches.
It also looks like there wasn't any caulking around the trim pieces, which means water is going to collect in between them and behind the tile no matter what. This was not a proper installation.