Our tenants left without giving prior notice and did not pay for last months rent. I have 1 month deposit so it will cover that. There was no Lease termination doc signed or anything. What should be my next step as far as making sure we are taken care of as a LL. They just texted me and no other means of communication. Their lease was to end Spetember 2024. Pls advice.
Unfortunately this happens, I choose to take this as part of the business I am in and review my screening process. Photograph or video the empty unit and get the place ready for the next tenant. Some LL will pursue the tenant for any rent owed or notice period not satisfied, that of course is up to you. Save any communication. Be sure and send them a final accounting including the security deposit to any forwarding or last known address. All the best!
Unfortunately this happens, I choose to take this as part of the business I am in and review my screening process. Photograph or video the empty unit and get the place ready for the next tenant. Some LL will pursue the tenant for any rent owed or notice period not satisfied, that of course is up to you. Save any communication. Be sure and send them a final accounting including the security deposit to any forwarding or last known address. All the best!
1) what are the notification requirements for a tenant in your jurisdiction? Being Texas, I am guessing they are somewhat LL friendly. Make sure they are not jumping through a loophole.
2) What does the lease state regarding notice and responsibility of rent should they terminate early? If you don't have such clauses you might not be able to do much or might be limited on the damages.
3) What is the damage/condition of the property? You may be spending that deposit on getting the property back into rentable condition. So you may not be covered for a month's rent - don't count that chicken yet.
4) Assuming you can hold them responsible for rent, you should still get the property turned as quickly as possible to avoid the vacancy loss.
5) Determine the loss in physical damages, vacancy, etc. and send them a bill. When they don't respond, file a claim.
Sorry for your situation, but my best advice would be to move past them as quickly as possible, then deal with the financial aftermath separately.
In Florida, if the landlord believes the tenant has abandoned the premises, the landlord can take possession, but I advise my clients to make sure the presumption of abandonment exists (pursuant to statute) and to follow the process of sending notice to the tenant stating that the landlord has determined that the tenant has abandoned (giving the reasons that form the basis of that determination) and that if the tenant doesn't respond within the deadline given (normally 1-3 days), the landlord will retake possession. This helps to protect the landlord in case the tenant later asserts that the landlord took possession illegally.
Once possession is taken, the landlord can follow the statutory provisions regarding making a claim on the deposit, including assessing for damages, accounting for all monies owed and unpaid during the lease, taking move-out pictures, getting needed estimates for repairs, etc. Be sure to meet your statutory requirements for making a claim on the deposit, including, e.g., certify mail to last known address, meeting the specificity requirement on the notice of claim, mailing within the timeframe provided by statute.
Best wishes.
In Florida, if the landlord believes the tenant has abandoned the premises, the landlord can take possession, but I advise my clients to make sure the presumption of abandonment exists (pursuant to statute) and to follow the process of sending notice to the tenant stating that the landlord has determined that the tenant has abandoned (giving the reasons that form the basis of that determination) and that if the tenant doesn't respond within the deadline given (normally 1-3 days), the landlord will retake possession. This helps to protect the landlord in case the tenant later asserts that the landlord took possession illegally.
Once possession is taken, the landlord can follow the statutory provisions regarding making a claim on the deposit, including assessing for damages, accounting for all monies owed and unpaid during the lease, taking move-out pictures, getting needed estimates for repairs, etc. Be sure to meet your statutory requirements for making a claim on the deposit, including, e.g., certify mail to last known address, meeting the specificity requirement on the notice of claim, mailing within the timeframe provided by statute.
Best wishes.
If you're Texas(?), I don't have any forms for that state, as I only practice law in Florida. I would encourage you to form a relationship with a landlord attorney in Texas who can assist you with needed forms, agreements, advice, etc. I know that there is a plethora of forms on the internet and folks pass them around like candy, but truth is, the property management business involves a lot of legal issues and situations. So again, I encourage you to connect with a landlord attorney.
In Florida, if the landlord believes the tenant has abandoned the premises, the landlord can take possession, but I advise my clients to make sure the presumption of abandonment exists (pursuant to statute) and to follow the process of sending notice to the tenant stating that the landlord has determined that the tenant has abandoned (giving the reasons that form the basis of that determination) and that if the tenant doesn't respond within the deadline given (normally 1-3 days), the landlord will retake possession. This helps to protect the landlord in case the tenant later asserts that the landlord took possession illegally.
Once possession is taken, the landlord can follow the statutory provisions regarding making a claim on the deposit, including assessing for damages, accounting for all monies owed and unpaid during the lease, taking move-out pictures, getting needed estimates for repairs, etc. Be sure to meet your statutory requirements for making a claim on the deposit, including, e.g., certify mail to last known address, meeting the specificity requirement on the notice of claim, mailing within the timeframe provided by statute.
Best wishes.
If you have it in writing that they left, double check all utilities are paid for and transfer them to your name. Then start looking for a new tenant. Take photos and send a list of what the deposit is being used for to their last known address (ie the rental house). If they haven't forwarded their mail, keep the envelope unopened when it is returned to you as proof that you sent it.
@Dee Mandrekar I would not recommend pursuing lost income. I’d just consult an attorney as to the legal requirements and move forward with the next tenants.
Often the first consult is free with an attorney if it is fairly simple. If you start asking for documents and such they’ll charge you.
@Dee Mandrekar you can send them a lease termination, but doubt they will respond.
You have two legal worries:
1) Tenant coming back and claiming you illegally evicted them.
---Save their text, it should cover this.
2) Tenant claiming you took a valuable asset of theirs.
---Send them a text confirming they are giving up claim to any & all personal possessions left behind and save their response.
You could pursue them for damages in Small Claims Court, doubt they would show, but you would need their new address to properly serve them.
Our tenants left without giving prior notice and did not pay for last months rent. I have 1 month deposit so it will cover that. There was no Lease termination doc signed or anything. What should be my next step as far as making sure we are taken care of as a LL. They just texted me and no other means of communication. Their lease was to end Spetember 2024. Pls advice.
First of all you should consult an attorney due to the fact this is a legal matter. With that said it depends on what was agreed to in the lease you signed with the tenant. As you said the lease was signed until September 2024, so according to what was written in the post the tenants are responsible to pay rent until than. But what does the lease state about nonpayment of the rent and collections process? Its different from state to state. Reach out to me if you would like to talk more.
Our tenants left without giving prior notice and did not pay for last months rent. I have 1 month deposit so it will cover that. There was no Lease termination doc signed or anything. What should be my next step as far as making sure we are taken care of as a LL. They just texted me and no other means of communication. Their lease was to end Spetember 2024. Pls advice.
A could be worse as in…
Tenant stayed in Property without paying rent.
I have had the later happen way more than the former.
Our tenants left without giving prior notice and did not pay for last months rent. I have 1 month deposit so it will cover that. There was no Lease termination doc signed or anything. What should be my next step as far as making sure we are taken care of as a LL. They just texted me and no other means of communication. Their lease was to end Spetember 2024. Pls advice.
A could be worse as in…
Tenant stayed in Property without paying rent.
I have had the later happen way more than the former.
Thats true. Now working towards getting a new one.
Can anyone pls review my current Lease Docs and advice me on if I am missing anything important in there? Will really appreciate it so I make sure I am covered next time.
Also had a quick question. There is fire wood left in the backyard by previous tenants and hope not but what if snakes starts living there and bite the tenant will it be our liability? or shall we just take the fire wood out?
Dee, I highly recommend you use a landlord attorney to prepare a lease for you. Non-lawyers are not permitted (at least here in Florida--but pretty sure it's the same in every state) to advise on legal document (such as a lease agreement) and their import. Plus, you want your lease agreement to fit your business model, help you to reduce costs, provide for compensation from the tenant for administrative burdens imposed on you by tenant acts or omissions, provide for procedures tenant need to take for maintenance and other tenancy issues, etc. I know it's tempting to get the input of others in the landlord business, but you'll do yourself a favor by going to the right attorney for this need. Best wishes.
Dee, I highly recommend you use a landlord attorney to prepare a lease for you. Non-lawyers are not permitted (at least here in Florida--but pretty sure it's the same in every state) to advise on legal document (such as a lease agreement) and their import. Plus, you want your lease agreement to fit your business model, help you to reduce costs, provide for compensation from the tenant for administrative burdens imposed on you by tenant acts or omissions, provide for procedures tenant need to take for maintenance and other tenancy issues, etc. I know it's tempting to get the input of others in the landlord business, but you'll do yourself a favor by going to the right attorney for this need. Best wishes.
Can u recommend one that you have used and is reasonable? I need one assp
As landlords, it's unfortunate but risks are part of the job. It's crucial to promptly serve any required notices following your state's guidelines. Be sure to specify the timeframe and maintain records of all notices served. Once the property is legally deemed abandoned, proceed with the standard move-out procedures. Conduct a thorough inspection, take photos of the property's condition, and finalize the deposit disposition. Best of luck to you.
Dee, I highly recommend you use a landlord attorney to prepare a lease for you. Non-lawyers are not permitted (at least here in Florida--but pretty sure it's the same in every state) to advise on legal document (such as a lease agreement) and their import. Plus, you want your lease agreement to fit your business model, help you to reduce costs, provide for compensation from the tenant for administrative burdens imposed on you by tenant acts or omissions, provide for procedures tenant need to take for maintenance and other tenancy issues, etc. I know it's tempting to get the input of others in the landlord business, but you'll do yourself a favor by going to the right attorney for this need. Best wishes.
Can u recommend one that you have used and is reasonable? I need one assp
I have a Lease Agreement Plan through my law firm, but it's only for Florida properties.
Dee,
Sorry to hear about your situation. Here’s what you should do next:
Best of luck getting this resolved.
Carlos
Dee, I'm a property manager down in San Antonio, but have gone through this many times. It does depend on what the lease says, but in general if you're using the TREC or Texas Realtors lease, you should have recourse to simply post a notice of abandonment on the inside of the door and if they don't contact you in 48 hours you can legally take possession and change the locks. Just make sure to document all that. However, you said they texted you? If they texted saying they left then that can be proof of them vacating.
In terms of lost rent, you can take them to small claims court, but it's usually not worth it. I would at minimum send them to an outside collections agency. Just find one and give the tenant ledger and everything they still owe. This way it will be reported on their credit report so future potential landlords can see. I for one, if a tenant has a past amount owed to a landlord, we won't rent to them until they have settled. We had one a few months ago that we agreed to let them move in but they had to go settle with their landlord from 3 years ago and make things right.
Good luck!
Dee, I'm a property manager down in San Antonio, but have gone through this many times. It does depend on what the lease says, but in general if you're using the TREC or Texas Realtors lease, you should have recourse to simply post a notice of abandonment on the inside of the door and if they don't contact you in 48 hours you can legally take possession and change the locks. Just make sure to document all that. However, you said they texted you? If they texted saying they left then that can be proof of them vacating.
In terms of lost rent, you can take them to small claims court, but it's usually not worth it. I would at minimum send them to an outside collections agency. Just find one and give the tenant ledger and everything they still owe. This way it will be reported on their credit report so future potential landlords can see. I for one, if a tenant has a past amount owed to a landlord, we won't rent to them until they have settled. We had one a few months ago that we agreed to let them move in but they had to go settle with their landlord from 3 years ago and make things right.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for a detailed response. I have sent them a certified mail today also stating that the Lease is terminated and also sent them total summary of what they owe. Can you pls suggest any Collections Agency names that I can use the only reason is I dont want them to cheat anyone else. Apparently they did the same to the previous owner also and I just spoke to them today after finding their contacts. Once its on their credit report they will be careful next time
Dee, I'm a property manager down in San Antonio, but have gone through this many times. It does depend on what the lease says, but in general if you're using the TREC or Texas Realtors lease, you should have recourse to simply post a notice of abandonment on the inside of the door and if they don't contact you in 48 hours you can legally take possession and change the locks. Just make sure to document all that. However, you said they texted you? If they texted saying they left then that can be proof of them vacating.
In terms of lost rent, you can take them to small claims court, but it's usually not worth it. I would at minimum send them to an outside collections agency. Just find one and give the tenant ledger and everything they still owe. This way it will be reported on their credit report so future potential landlords can see. I for one, if a tenant has a past amount owed to a landlord, we won't rent to them until they have settled. We had one a few months ago that we agreed to let them move in but they had to go settle with their landlord from 3 years ago and make things right.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for a detailed response. I have sent them a certified mail today also stating that the Lease is terminated and also sent them total summary of what they owe. Can you pls suggest any Collections Agency names that I can use the only reason is I dont want them to cheat anyone else. Apparently they did the same to the previous owner also and I just spoke to them today after finding their contacts. Once its on their credit report they will be careful next time
I use Hunter Warfield. They are built into Appfolio which I use but it's helpful and effective. They charge 40% of anything ever collected but it's worth it since it's not likely I'll ever collect anything from them anyways. Regardless, you should be fine with taking back possession. Sorry this happened to you! Make sure you get a good lease and are sending NTV's as soon as you smell trouble!
@Dee Mandrekar
This happened to me recently. Just clean it out and move on. Mine didn’t even text me. The neighbors told me they moved when I came over to post a 3 day pay or quit. They totally ghosted me. Then finally texted back saying to just keep the deposit. They trashed the house so there went the deposit. Some people we deal with really suck. lol
What is frustrating here is that a tenant can do whatever they want and walk out clean to go next and cheat another LL. There should be a red flag for the next LL to know that this tenant is not to be trusted. So I am more keen on sending the dues to collection agency so at least it will be a red flag on their credit report. Has anyone seen issues with doing this? what can be some of the cons?
What is frustrating here is that a tenant can do whatever they want and walk out clean to go next and cheat another LL. There should be a red flag for the next LL to know that this tenant is not to be trusted. So I am more keen on sending the dues to collection agency so at least it will be a red flag on their credit report. Has anyone seen issues with doing this? what can be some of the cons?