Hi guys, I'm a property manager of a small portfolio of new construction townhomes. All of the homes are brand new with new appliances and we've had a few ice makers stop working right outside of the warranty window in our Whirlpool fridges. It's a bit of a costly repair relative to the price of the fridge - they need to be replaced for around $500. Does anyone have a more budget friendly option?
You can buy the parts yourself, watch a YouTube video, and replace them yourself.
Go to Google and search for "appliance parts" and find many companies selling the parts. Shop around because the prices fluctuate between sites. Some of the sites include install instructions or videos. If not, you can search for instructions on YouTube. Example:
Another option is to buy an extended warranty - just check the fine print as many are borderline scams. Maybe do a Google search for reviews.
Also, who are you having fix these?
You should have a reliable and if YOU search for Youtube video (handyman unlikely to do this) as @Nathan Gesner recommends, you should be able to fix much cheaper.
Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y
It is my opinion that renters and (Landlord owned) ice makers do not mix- unless you want to pay for a lot of repairs.
Ice makers breakdown a lot.
I would never have an ice maker in a rental.
I have an ice maker myself- I love it I use it all the time- sometimes it breaks down and has to be repaired- I don't care I want the ice and am willing to pay for it.
It is my opinion that renters and (Landlord owned) ice makers do not mix- unless you want to pay for a lot of repairs.
Ice makers breakdown a lot.
I would never have an ice maker in a rental.
I have an ice maker myself- I love it I use it all the time- sometimes it breaks down and has to be repaired- I don't care I want the ice and am willing to pay for it.
Just my 2 cents.
Y’all just make landlords look bad. If you can’t replace a refrigerator every 7 years in a rental you shouldn’t be in the game. I’ve got to stop reading BP, it gets worse and worse.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
@Account Closed did you read the post? He said they are just over 1 year old. Do you suggest they buy new fridges every year?
@Lena Wang I swear whirlpool is going to poop. I’m sitting in a 375 day old DR Horton build with a DEAD whirlpool microwave. I assume DR Horton buys a lot of appliances. But whirlpool said their warranty is 365 days. Not 366, and certainly not 375. Pound Sand and buy a new one.
@Account Closed did you read the post? He said they are just over 1 year old. Do you suggest they buy new fridges every year?
I read the post, it said “we've had a few ice makers stop working right outside of the warranty window in our Whirlpool fridges.” I have no clue what the warranty window is Bill Brandt, but I also read from the next guy replying that they would never supply ice makers in a rental. That’s what really bothers me, I want my tenants to experience the same quality of life that I do….
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
In case you didn’t read my post. I told you in the the post you quoted, that whirlpool (and 90% of US appliances) have a 365 day warranty. I’m sure you didn’t think it was 7 years.
It is definitely a “scam” that ice makers cost 40-50% of a new fridge and 80-90% of the service calls are ice makers. After 30 or 40 years they still haven’t figured out the technology? You can buy a countertop icemaker that’s faster and makes nicer ice for under $100.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
1y
@Kristi K. Ice makers are not the hill you want to die on. I fix all legitimate issues in my properties, with exception to ice makers. Not sure how many doors you have, but when you get to your 5th broken ice maker you realize the math just doesn’t make sense.
And while they are convenient, the level of convenience they provide are not substantial. most tenants outside of A Class will complain about having to fill an ice tray.
Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2024 · 43 posts · 27 votes
1y
Don't buy fridges that have ice machines towards the top of the fridge. The ones that last much longer are the ones that have the ice machine towards the bottom half of the fridge.
insurance companies are also charging extra to cover ice machines. Other than watching YouTube videos to try to fix it yourself, I don't see any other way. Sorry.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y
@Lena Harris better with no ice makers but you are stuck fixing them now. has defrosting not worked? I say this because they are always going to do the easiest thing which is say it needs replacement. Is it labor or parts cost? It might be worth it to just get someone inhouse or a handyman to do this for you rather than calling an appliance shop if it is the labor cost. If it is the cost of the part well... file a complaint with whirlpool if you have a number of the same fridges maybe it helps.
@Kristi K. Ice makers are not the hill you want to die on. I fix all legitimate issues in my properties, with exception to ice makers. Not sure how many doors you have, but when you get to your 5th broken ice maker you realize the math just doesn’t make sense.
And while they are convenient, the level of convenience they provide are not substantial. most tenants outside of A Class will complain about having to fill an ice tray.
I’ve got 17 rental properties and have replaced ZERO refrigerators because the ice maker quit working. That’s over a 24 year period of owning rentals. Stop being slum lords people.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y
@Account Closed You have 17 refrigerators, all with ice makers and none have broken, in 24 years, what brand? I have had 7 breaks with small and large fixes, various brands. Could be the water, don't know. I prefer no ice makers and when the last fridge with the broken icemaker (lease signed with it that way) dies they will get one without an ice maker. Personally, it's not my goal that tenants experience the same quality of life I have (and have worked for). My tenants expect what they pay for. I think the absence of an ice maker is a far cry from a slumlord.
I absolutely hate ice makers, and I would never subject my tenants to those horrible things. They're nothing but problems, even dangerous. I once went to look at a purchase and the owners' ice maker line was leaking on the floor. Big puddle in the kitchen. His little puppy ran by and slid right into the wall. It was traumatic for all of us to see!! And the children, those poor children, they we especially upset! First thing I do is rip 'em out.