Void roof warranty under property management’s care

Void roof warranty under property management’s care

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
Screens on the roof, not approved for installation. There’s four across the roof

—
Hi all, I am going through an interesting experience with one of the properties I own and could use some advice.

One of the properties I have is handled by a property manager. Two years ago, the roof was replaced on the property and recently due to a leak, the roofing company discovered that screens were installed on the drains on the roof that voided the roof warranty. I have no record of this installation, nor does the property manager, or the roofing company.

To get the roof back under warranty, I need to pay 3000$ to remove the screens.

I know that I have no record of this installation. The roofing company says it’s not their work. The property manager has been unhelpful in connecting the dots.

Any suggestions here?

1Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y

Screwing a 4x4 screen into a roof would probably not show up as an "installation".  This would not be something a roofer would do.

I'd look to see if there were any work orders for cleaning debris off the roof or for clogged downspouts.  It's the guy  cleaning gutters that might do this to make his job easier in the future.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    Screwing a 4x4 screen into a roof would probably not show up as an "installation".  This would not be something a roofer would do.

    I'd look to see if there were any work orders for cleaning debris off the roof or for clogged downspouts.  It's the guy  cleaning gutters that might do this to make his job easier in the future.

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    There is a small potential that the tenant did it. $3k to fix the issue sounds like ROBBERY!

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    I haven’t found any types of jobs or maintenance that the property manager approved that seemed relevant but will keep looking. 
    I didn’t think it was tenants because it’s a multi unit property so not sure who would cover all four. 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    You don't have pics or video of the completed job?

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Update! I found the job order from a pest control visit this year. Property manager had pest control come and they mentioned “partial exclusion” on an invoice, and calling the pest company I found records that they sealed up those drains. Property manager didn’t have any of that though. 

    Property manager explicitly said no one has been on the roof other than the roofing company, and even suggested I look into an attorney to go against the roofing company. Won’t be taking that route, is there any way to get the property manager accountable for voiding the roof warranty? I didn’t know people would be going on the roof

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Carrie Lane you'd have to prove the PMC directed the pest company to add the screens.

    Otherwise, you'd have to go after the pest company.

    Not sure what you would actually win to make it cost effective.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    Yes, I would contact the pest control company and demand they pay the cost of repairing this. I would not let them make the repair; I would make them pay for a contractor of my choosing.

    Definitely look for a different roofer. That's not a $3,000 job.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 277 votes
    1y

    @Michael Smythe speaking as both someone who owns rental properties that we self-manage, and a manager for other owners, I think' you'd have a tough time going after the property management company. 

    I would go to the pest control company and ask where they were authorized to install these screens on your property.

    I doubt you're going to get $3k from anyone, but did the roofing company say what the $3k is for and why a handyman can't just go up for a few hundred bucks and remove the screens? Maybe it's because the screws put holes in the shingles and roofing which is causing the leak, but that does still seem to be like a lot.

    How long is your roof warranty anyway since it's been 2 years already?

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
    1y

    This is a typical roof drain. The roofing company should not have left large, unprotected drainage openings in your roof. They should have installed roof drains (as in the picture.) The roofing company is at fault for not installing these and your PM should not have accepted their work without them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.