What repairs can you leave until after listing but before showing?

What repairs can you leave until after listing but before showing?

Sean ReganPro Member
Investor · Charlotte NC · Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 8 votes

Getting ready to list my first rental property after an extensive reno.  The punch list is taking forever to finish!  I'm curious what more experienced investors will leave to finish repairing after they list the property, but before they start to show it (or lease it).

1Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Maranda TuckerPro Member
Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 152 posts · 118 votes
1y
Quote from @Sean Regan:

Appreciate the tips. Very helpful! I need to install LVP throughout, replace bathroom vanity, toilet, and fixtures, install a new dishwasher, and finish a 300 sqft ADU with drywall, paint, and LVP that can be used as an office, rec room, etc. I figured I at least need to get these completed before photos and listing. I also plan to touch-up paint, fix kitchen cabinet drawers, replace outlets and a few door handles. It seems like I would be cutting it close to try to finish, list, and lease it starting March 1?

 Sounds like you still have a ways to go! I think a March 1 lease might be a little out of reach.. Unless you can knock all of those items out in the next week, price competitively in the market and are in a hot area. 

If you need rental comps for your area, let me know! I can shoot them your way. Also happy to share market updates. :) 

Good luck!!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sean Regan:

    Getting ready to list my first rental property after an extensive reno.  The punch list is taking forever to finish!  I'm curious what more experienced investors will leave to finish repairing after they list the property, but before they start to show it (or lease it).

    It depends on the type of repairs, but generally, anything cosmetic or minor can wait until after listing. Things like touch-up paint, minor trim fixes, and final deep cleaning can often be done while showing the property. However, anything that impacts functionality like plumbing, HVAC, or safety issues should be handled before listing to avoid turning off potential renters/buyers.

    If you’re re planning to lease it, tenants will expect everything to be move-in ready before signing. But if it’s a sale, some buyers might be okay with a few unfinished details, especially if you disclose them upfront. Then again, they may not. What’s left on your punch list?


  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sean Regan:

    Getting ready to list my first rental property after an extensive reno.  The punch list is taking forever to finish!  I'm curious what more experienced investors will leave to finish repairing after they list the property, but before they start to show it (or lease it).


    I start the marketing about two weeks prior to completion, with an advertised availability date of one week after completion. This allows a few days for flexibility and cleaning.

    But it really depends on the remaining work. If they still have to install kitchen cabinets, then I would wait. As long as viewers can see the layout and general quality, I think it's safe to market.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bradley BuxtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NV · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    1y

    @Sean Regan

    How good will the property look in the photos? If you can make it look good in photos then you can list it for rent. Other consideration is that most people have leases that start at the beginning of the month. If you still have another 3 weeks of repairs or are very confident of the move in date it might be okay to list.  

  • Sean ReganPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Charlotte NC · Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Appreciate the tips. Very helpful! I need to install LVP throughout, replace bathroom vanity, toilet, and fixtures, install a new dishwasher, and finish a 300 sqft ADU with drywall, paint, and LVP that can be used as an office, rec room, etc. I figured I at least need to get these completed before photos and listing. I also plan to touch-up paint, fix kitchen cabinet drawers, replace outlets and a few door handles. It seems like I would be cutting it close to try to finish, list, and lease it starting March 1?

  • Maranda TuckerPro Member
    Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 152 posts · 118 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sean Regan:

    Appreciate the tips. Very helpful! I need to install LVP throughout, replace bathroom vanity, toilet, and fixtures, install a new dishwasher, and finish a 300 sqft ADU with drywall, paint, and LVP that can be used as an office, rec room, etc. I figured I at least need to get these completed before photos and listing. I also plan to touch-up paint, fix kitchen cabinet drawers, replace outlets and a few door handles. It seems like I would be cutting it close to try to finish, list, and lease it starting March 1?

     Sounds like you still have a ways to go! I think a March 1 lease might be a little out of reach.. Unless you can knock all of those items out in the next week, price competitively in the market and are in a hot area. 

    If you need rental comps for your area, let me know! I can shoot them your way. Also happy to share market updates. :) 

    Good luck!!

  • Brandon RizzoPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Austin, TX · Member since 2024 · 53 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    @Sean Regan We provide a breakdown on scoping based on "required" vs "recommended". We base the required off of historical code compliance items, Section 8, safety & security, habitability, etc. 

    In general, recommended would most often be curb appeal related items. Those items boost your chances of success renting/showing the unit and enhance it's overall aesthetic, but aren't necessarily required for a new tenant. 

    A good question to ask yourself when determining what needs repaired would be: "Does this item affect the health and safety or habitability of the unit? Is it required by code? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.