I've got a basement unit which has adequate ceiling height, lighting, egress, kitchen, bath and bedroom with light and closet. It's however connected to the building meter that I pay. That tenant which I inherited with purchasing the building is leaving, so what options am I left with?
Airbnb? Continue to rent out - but at what risk/liability? It's not in the ADU zone and not sure how much more time can be spent waiting. It could be duplexed down - but the investment return isn't there.
Looking for shared experience with this gray area.
@Account Closed this question comes up pretty regularly in the forums. There is an added risk layer if your basement unit is not legal and you know about it. Most of these are sort of a giant greay area. Check your zoning cert from when you bought the property to see if it is included.
If it IS a legal unit, you can always add another electrical or gas meter to service the unit. If it is not legal, you will struggle to have the tenants pay their own utilities and will likely need to offer this as an all utilities included deal.
Airbnb is a whole separate animal. If your unit is not legal, this is probably the "best" way to monetize the unit since you are just renting out part of your house. It is short term.
The duplex up/down strategy can also work, but it rarely pays off if you need to do the construction.
@Account Closed I’m a little confused with your situation. Is this basement unit in a multi-unit (ex. 2-4 unit) property? I’m assuming the basement is either an illegal or non-conforming unit? Are you living in the building? When you say it has its own meter, do you mean electric, gas, and/or water or just one or two?
You shouldn't have any problem renting a basement apartment in an owner-occupied property. I'm curious why you didn't investigate this during the purchase? Call the zoning office and anonymously pose your question, and it won't be a "grey area" any more.
Get some "good" tenants, and include utilities in rent. Just get familiar with the upside of renting a basement if its non-conforming or illegal.
@Account Closed this question comes up pretty regularly in the forums. There is an added risk layer if your basement unit is not legal and you know about it. Most of these are sort of a giant greay area. Check your zoning cert from when you bought the property to see if it is included.
If it IS a legal unit, you can always add another electrical or gas meter to service the unit. If it is not legal, you will struggle to have the tenants pay their own utilities and will likely need to offer this as an all utilities included deal.
Airbnb is a whole separate animal. If your unit is not legal, this is probably the "best" way to monetize the unit since you are just renting out part of your house. It is short term.
The duplex up/down strategy can also work, but it rarely pays off if you need to do the construction.
These basement units are very common in Chicago. I have sold many 2-4s with them. My clients typically give a credit to the first floor tenant for the electricity that the garden unit uses. You can also add a meter saying to city the meter is just for a basement and that works too. Airbnb can be a great option. The basement units rent really fast as so much demand for “cheap” housing in nice neighborhoods. Even really crappy basement apartments get a bunch of applicants. For insurance you just tell them how many total units in building, as long as no injunction/violations saying units not legal it’s ok for the insurance companies I have talked to at least.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! Only rent these to great tenants 680+ credit and 2 good references. If there is a problem tenant they will call the city and the city may make you remove the unit. Outside the north side if in an area with lower quality tenants I would just run it only Airbnb safer that way. On north side I have seen them be used for 30+ years no issues.
Hey @Account Closed 👋🏽
Most house hackers will live in the basement + rent out the other units to maximize their return. You can also rent it out like everyone on here mentioned, but it is risky if you rent because the tenant can call the city on you and you would have to de-convert the unit + possibly pay the tenants back rent for the time that they lived there OR you can airBnB the unit - probably the best way IMO. Let's us know what you end up doing! options are there but you just have to weigh your options!
@Account Closed
These units technically *shouldn't* be rented out depending on the zoning certificate but the reality is they are common and rented out all over Chicago.
Hey there @Account Closed - What is your LONG TERM plan with the building?
If it's holding it indefinitely, then the best option, if you have the cash, is to legalize the basement. You would first have to verify if this allowed based on your current zoning, if not then check to see if you are in a pilot ADU area. If neither is an option then you would either have to get a zoning change or duplex down to LEGALLY use the space. In the Long term, this will be the highest and best use and will generate the most appreciation (what area of the city is your property in?)
Maybe more importantly, you need to understand the difference between ILLEGAL & NON-CONFORMING. Illegal is if there are violations or the city has deemed the area uninhabitable. Non-confirming means that the space does not comply to current zoning/building code but there is no active violations. MOST Chicago garden units are non-conforming and rented out to generate cashflow.
Hey there @Account Closed - What is your LONG TERM plan with the building?
If it's holding it indefinitely, then the best option, if you have the cash, is to legalize the basement. You would first have to verify if this allowed based on your current zoning, if not then check to see if you are in a pilot ADU area. If neither is an option then you would either have to get a zoning change or duplex down to LEGALLY use the space. In the Long term, this will be the highest and best use and will generate the most appreciation (what area of the city is your property in?)
Maybe more importantly, you need to understand the difference between ILLEGAL & NON-CONFORMING. Illegal is if there are violations or the city has deemed the area uninhabitable. Non-confirming means that the space does not comply to current zoning/building code but there is no active violations. MOST Chicago garden units are non-conforming and rented out to generate cashflow.
Renting it out short term or long term is possible and I see advantages to both. Does this unit have it's own separate entrance? I have owned rental properties where all units were on one electric meter. I took that into consideration when renting. To figure out the add-on to the rent, I took the largest bill and split it according to square footage. This became the additional paid by each tenant. I will tell you that the mindset of some renters is "I am not paying for electric, so I can overuse all I want". So, take that into consideration as well when figuring out the amount. I added a clause in my leases saying that if electric rates and/or usage goes above XXX, there will be an increase. Best of luck and I hope it all works out well for you!
@Account Closed,
this is a common situation in Chicago, and the right move depends on your long-term goals. If you plan to hold the property for years, legalizing the basement unit could be the best path for maximizing value. That process takes time and money, but it removes risk and increases the property's long-term appreciation potential.
If you're not in an ADU zone and legalizing isn't an option, renting it out is possible but comes with risks. Non-conforming units are common in Chicago, but if a tenant reports the space to the city, you could be forced to de-convert it and even return past rent. To minimize this risk, be selective about tenants. Applicants with strong credit and rental history are less likely to cause problems. Many landlords include utilities in rent, since adding a separate meter isn't always feasible.
Short-term rentals like Airbnb can be another option, especially if you’re living in the building. Since you’re technically renting out part of your own home, the enforcement risk is lower. Just make sure to check Chicago’s evolving short-term rental regulations, as they vary by neighborhood.
If you decide to keep it as a rental, think about how it fits into your overall strategy. The extra income is great, but if it comes with added risk or uncertainty, it may not be worth it long-term.
@Dan H. - Your last two sentences caught my eye! Who determines if the unpermitted work is "safe" and what exactly constitutes as safe?
Here in Chicago, there's a lot of unsafe work happening lol
@Dan H. - Your last two sentences caught my eye! Who determines if the unpermitted work is "safe" and what exactly constitutes as safe?
Here in Chicago, there's a lot of unsafe work happening lol
The relevant ordinance is SB13. It is not clear as to safe but certain things are obvious such as egress, unsafe electrical or plumbing, unsafe framing, etc. Sb13 does state in general terms who gets to determine a unit is unsafe.
I have taken it to mean that if it is of the quality of a licensed contractor but simply not permitted then it is legal for 5 years (which has already been extended once). They wrote SB13 such that existing unpermitted units were allowed, but they did not want to encourage further unpermitted units (so the units had to exist before a certain date). However, the 5 year date was fast approaching and there had been many safe unpermitted units added after the date in SB13. So AB2533 extended the time. In my opinion it sets a bad example. Knowing that it has been extended once already, is there great incentive for the additional costs associated with a permitted unit? At the very least it makes the decision to get permits not as strong as it would have been otherwise.
Here is the original text of SB13:
"...
(2) The owner of an accessory dwelling unit that receives a notice to correct violations or abate nuisances as described in paragraph (1) may, in the form and manner prescribed by the enforcement agency, submit an application to the enforcement agency requesting that enforcement of the violation be delayed for five years on the basis that correcting the violation is not necessary to protect health and safety.
(3) The enforcement agency shall grant an application described in paragraph (2) if the enforcement determines that correcting the violation is not necessary to protect health and safety. In making this determination, the enforcement agency shall consult with the entity responsible for
enforcement of building standards and other regulations of the State Fire Marshal pursuant to Section 13146.
...."
As stated AB2533 has extended the time the unit had to exist by (originally the unit had to exist before JAN 1 2020). The date in SB13 existed to discourage further unpermitted units, but I believe the effect of SB13 and especially AB2533 has been to encourage unpermitted units.
Prior to SB13, there were areas in San Diego county with many unpermitted units (City heights being perhaps the most obvious) and areas with virtually zero unpermitted units (Poway where I lived had stringent enforcement on unpermitted units). Now all areas basically cannot require the removal of unpermitted units (at least for 5 years and longer if it keeps getting extended).
I understand there is a housing shortage. Removing safe units exasperates the housing shortage. But with these rules, why get a permit (cost, time, increase to property taxes, etc) unless you believe at some point the state will require safe unpermitted units to get a permit? I personally believe the housing shortage will continue for at least 15 more years and that the state is going to continue to protect safe unpermitted units for at least that long.
I do own some safe unpermitted units, but I did not add them. I purchased the property with the units already created. I purchased it before SB13 went into effect but after I already knew about it. I purchased at a price that reflected a risk that was going away in the near term (at least going away for 5 years at that time, since extended).
If I were adding units, I would pay to have it permitted but I understand those that make a different decision in this market. SB13 and AB2433 protect unpermitted units and that protection seems likely to continue (the Ab2533 precedent shows this).
Hey Asim,
If it's not in an ADU zone, long-term rental could carry some risk, especially if it's not legally recognized. Airbnb might be an option if local regulations allow it. Another route—house hack by including it with an upstairs unit.
Might be worth consulting a local zoning expert or attorney to explore your best move. Good luck! #letsgo
– Jarret
@Dan H. - Will an appraiser count them as a legal unit in their appraisal underwriting? I could see that as one of the main reasons someone wants to legalize it when they are going to sell or refinance.
Anyone renovating a unit without a permit can still get a stopwork order by the city right? In some areas of Chicago that is very rare (mainly the south and west sides), but on the northwest side of the city I've seen quite a few stop work orders typically a neighbor calls in which prompts the city to send someone out.
I would think a better solution would be to make the permitting process easier instead of basically enabling more unpermitted work...
@Dan H. - Will an appraiser count them as a legal unit in their appraisal underwriting? I could see that as one of the main reasons someone wants to legalize it when they are going to sell or refinance.
Anyone renovating a unit without a permit can still get a stopwork order by the city right? In some areas of Chicago that is very rare (mainly the south and west sides), but on the northwest side of the city I've seen quite a few stop work orders typically a neighbor calls in which prompts the city to send someone out.
I would think a better solution would be to make the permitting process easier instead of basically enabling more unpermitted work...
What I have seen, even before this law, appraisers typically do not check permits and if the additions look to code, then they appraise similar to if it was permitted.
However, either the buyer in due diligence or seller in their disclosures, the buyer finds that the work is not permitted often results in a reduced price as it should. Unpermitted work costs less to have done and has risks associated with work quality and potentially getting red tagged. It is worth less than permitted work, but the amount less is determined by work quality, risk, market, etc.
if you can purchase quality unpermitted work at a correct price that by law cannot be red tagged, that could provide an opportunity (especially if the reduced risk is not yet recognized by many sellers).
Good luck
You have several options for handling this basement unit, this topic comes up a lot on here and at investor meetings, this is my advice (I have personally done all of these)
1. Rent It as a Standard Unit
2. Rent It as an All-Inclusive Unit
3. Convert It to a Legal ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit)
4. Short-Term or Mid-Term Rental (Furnished Option)
5. House Hack / Personal Use
Hey Asim - Sounds like you've got a solid space with lots of potential. If ADU zoning isn't an option and duplexing doesn't make sense financially, short-term rentals like Airbnb could be a flexible choice — just factor in utility costs since it's on your meter. If you go long-term, check local laws to cover liability, and maybe adjust rent to account for utilities. Sometimes waiting for zoning changes isn't worth missing out on income now.
I'd be happy to connect for more ideas! Let me know!