My future tenant sent this email:
Should I allow them to move some stuff in ahead of time?
My future tenant sent this email:
Should I allow them to move some stuff in ahead of time?
NEVER let them store stuff BEFORE the Lease Start Date!
Anything happens to their stuff you have liability.
Also, could be construed by a judge as a lease start date.
You didn't include their email. Have they paid you early? Does their request seem reasonable? I would have no problem with some personal belongings/furnishings moving in a few (1-3) days early (assuming they have paid rent and security deposit.)
Third, and I hope I am not imprudent for asking, but would you be amenable to allowing us to bring over a few items a day or two before taking residence on the 1st? Items like houseplants, a small number of boxes, and delicate items that we'd like to keep out of the way of the movers. I totally understand if it's out of the question, I'm only asking so that we can plan our move efficiently.
Why not just start the lease early?
I would say "yes, but we would need to amend the lease to reflect the correct move-in date/date of possession and I would have to charge you for the additional day(s)." That's what I have done in the past.
I want to avoid paper work (that's partially why I hired a leasing agent), so I might just arrange for them to have access to the property for an hour prior to the lease start date.
I want to avoid paper work (that's partially why I hired a leasing agent), so I might just arrange for them to have access to the property for an hour prior to the lease start date.
I would say "yes, but we would need to amend the lease to reflect the correct move-in date/date of possession and I would have to charge you for the additional day(s)." That's what I have done in the past.
@Andrew Katz Do you plan to ignore the Terms of your Rental Agreement the next time they ask a favor? What if they tell you they will be late next month when their rent due date rolls around? Or what if they "forgot" to mention that they had a housecat...or a mastiff? What if their cousin moves in with them? Which terms are you planning to abide, and which are you not?
You need to start off on the right foot...Rules is Rules. If you don't follow through, they will walk all over you. It seems like an innocent enough request, but that's how it always starts.
My future tenant sent this email:
Should I allow them to move some stuff in ahead of time?
NEVER let them store stuff BEFORE the Lease Start Date!
Anything happens to their stuff you have liability.
Also, could be construed by a judge as a lease start date.
What if their stuff is stolen before the lease starts, or they say it was stolen?
What if they accidentally start a fire, or a flood?
What if they move in with their stuff?
You simply state. Because neither my insurance or yours would cover you or your property until your lease starts. We can start your lease early (for which you will pay the same rent.) Or, you’ll have to spend $100 or $200 at a self storage unit. Sorry.
MAYBE, you could write up a separate lease for just garage space for a few hundred dollars if you kept all other doors locked. But they probably still wouldn’t have any insurance.
What if their stuff is stolen before the lease starts, or they say it was stolen?
What if they accidentally start a fire, or a flood?
What if they move in with their stuff?
You simply state. Because neither my insurance or yours would cover you or your property until your lease starts. We can start your lease early (for which you will pay the same rent.) Or, you’ll have to spend $100 or $200 at a self storage unit. Sorry.
MAYBE, you could write up a separate lease for just garage space for a few hundred dollars if you kept all other doors locked. But they probably still wouldn’t have any insurance.
>What if their stuff is stolen before the lease starts, or they say it was stolen?
Same thing as if after the lease had started. They have to have renters’ insurance otherwise they are SOL. Our lease requires renters insurance.
>What if they accidentally start a fire, or a flood?
Same thing that happens if a fire is started at any time, my property insurance covers it. It is up to the insurance if they go after the tenant. When I experienced this the insurance did not try to collect from the tenant even though the insurance found that the tenant started the fire,
>What if they move in with their stuff?
Same thing if they ever break any agreement. They get classified as an undesired tenant and will be treated as such. They will soon be paying above market rent or move out.
>Because neither my insurance or yours would cover you or your property until your lease starts.
My insurance, and I suspect yours, covers the property 100% of the time. This includes between leases. In fact, I suspect everyone with a conventional mortgage is covered 100% of the time.
we have let tenants move in things early. So far we have not had a tenant abuse the privilege. We screen well, so our tenants rarely abuse any privilege we grant them. On Feb 27 we let a tenant move some stuff into the unit even though the lease started Mar 1. There was no issues.
I look at it as a personal decision to let tenants access early. The property has value for those days. At lease end we charge for every day, yet do not charge to let tenant store some items for 1 or 2 days before the beginning of the lease. The unit is empty anyways, versus at the end of lease it is delaying the start of the unit flip.
Best wishes
My insurance, and I suspect yours, covers the property 100% of the time. This includes between leases. In fact, I suspect everyone with a conventional mortgage is covered 100% of the time.
we have let tenants move in things early. So far we have not had a tenant abuse the privilege. We screen well, so our tenants rarely abuse any privilege we grant them. On Feb 27 we let a tenant move some stuff into the unit even though the lease started Mar 1. There was no issues.
I look at it as a personal decision to let tenants access early.
My insurance, and I suspect yours, covers the property 100% of the time. This includes between leases. In fact, I suspect everyone with a conventional mortgage is covered 100% of the time.
we have let tenants move in things early. So far we have not had a tenant abuse the privilege. We screen well, so our tenants rarely abuse any privilege we grant them. On Feb 27 we let a tenant move some stuff into the unit even though the lease started Mar 1. There was no issues.
I look at it as a personal decision to let tenants access early.
My insurance, and I suspect yours, covers the property 100% of the time. This includes between leases. In fact, I suspect everyone with a conventional mortgage is covered 100% of the time.
we have let tenants move in things early. So far we have not had a tenant abuse the privilege. We screen well, so our tenants rarely abuse any privilege we grant them. On Feb 27 we let a tenant move some stuff into the unit even though the lease started Mar 1. There was no issues.
I look at it as a personal decision to let tenants access early.
My insurance, and I suspect yours, covers the property 100% of the time. This includes between leases. In fact, I suspect everyone with a conventional mortgage is covered 100% of the time.
we have let tenants move in things early. So far we have not had a tenant abuse the privilege. We screen well, so our tenants rarely abuse any privilege we grant them. On Feb 27 we let a tenant move some stuff into the unit even though the lease started Mar 1. There was no issues.
I look at it as a personal decision to let tenants access early.
@Dan H.. This was moving in before the lease started. So they wouldn’t have tenants insurance, you wouldn’t have a lease that’s in effect to evict, etc etc.
Maybe your landlord insurance would cover you if a person was in your unit with no lease. But you’d lose at least your deductible or how every many months it took to get them and their multiple friends evicted.
I just see ZERO downside to, in your example. Starting the lease one day earlier so everything’s on the up and up and they have tenant’s insurance just incase of injury or loss. You can decide if you want to charge them 1/30th of a month’s rent, some nominal fee, or zero.
But what’s the upside of not doing 5 minutes of paperwork? Especially when they hurt someone moving that “garage fridge” in to your place. I can just see their insurance company breathing a sigh of relief. Thank goodness their policy starts tomorrow. Thank goodness they couldn’t be bothered to change the move in date or the insurance start date.
Would you also let them stay past the move in date with no insurance or rent? Anyway. To each their own, I just want everything in writing so someone doesn’t decide later what you said is not what they heard.
@Dan H.. This was moving in before the lease started. So they wouldn’t have tenants insurance, you wouldn’t have a lease that’s in effect to evict, etc etc.
Maybe your landlord insurance would cover you if a person was in your unit with no lease. But you’d lose at least your deductible or how every many months it took to get them and their multiple friends evicted.
I just see ZERO downside to, in your example. Starting the lease one day earlier so everything’s on the up and up and they have tenant’s insurance just incase of injury or loss. You can decide if you want to charge them 1/30th of a month’s rent, some nominal fee, or zero.
But what’s the upside of not doing 5 minutes of paperwork? Especially when they hurt someone moving that “garage fridge” in to your place. I can just see their insurance company breathing a sigh of relief. Thank goodness their policy starts tomorrow. Thank goodness they couldn’t be bothered to change the move in date or the insurance start date.
Would you also let them stay past the move in date with no insurance or rent? Anyway. To each their own, I just want everything in writing so someone doesn’t decide later what you said is not what they heard.
California has anti squatter rules that if you follow the rules there is no issue getting squatters out. Note the tenant could squat for a couple days in our case before their lease goes into effect but I could get them out immediately and they would be placed on our not best tenant list when lease goes into effect. If the tenant lets someone occupy that is not on the lease, it is no different than if they did it within the lease period. Same as any other lease violation. We do not get intentional extreme lease violations, even in our class c- areas. Certainly we do not get it in our class a- areas.
We typically have such a housing shortage, I do not get such outright breaking of agreements (have not yet in decades of doing this). Also never have needed to evict anyone or do cash for keys (we have had a few tenants ask, but I make clear the consequences if I have to have them evicted and they leave and pay what is owed).
@Andrew Katz
I let people move in a couple weeks early for free. They appreciate it and it starts the partnership off well. I’ve never had an issue. With 33 properties, I rarely ever have turnovers. I try and be a great landlord and take care of my tenants. Turnovers within a few years of someone moving in crushes profits as you know. So I go above and beyond so my tenants want to stay with me for many years.
As @Drew Sygit said - no. When keys and access is given that is when the lease starts. Not worth the risk. If they want an earlier date just start the the lease early - you can give them a discount - they would be paying the utilities and you were not making any money anyway so a win for both sides.
@Andrew Katz, a few thoughts:
1. Yes, others are correct that nothing gets moved in before the lease is in effect. That would create risks/liability for you.
2. Nothing says the lease can't be updated to reflect this.
3. I do similar to @David Peschio. If a tenant's lease starts April 1st. If the lease is signed, ALL move-in money paid, and utilities switched over early, we can make an addendum to the lease that allows for them to have "early entry at no cost".
If I did nothing and forced them to wait until April 1st to move, then they are likely in a rush to move in all at once. By giving them that extra time they can settle in more seamlessly.
For me, it gets the utilities out of my name sooner saving me a few bucks and gets the house occupied so that its protected. A vacant unit can attract vandalism or if an issue occurs there is nobody to deal with it before it becomes a larger issue, for example a water leak.
@Kevin Sobilo - exactly - especially in the winter with pipes and heat.
Hey Andrew,
Follow your contract. The lease should control when possession is delivered. If the lease says the 1st, that is the date they get access. Allowing items in early can blur that line and potentially create issues if there is any dispute later.
In many places, once a tenant moves belongings into the unit it can be argued they have taken possession. That can complicate things if something goes wrong before the official lease start date. And if they enter the property before the lease begins and get injured, or if something happens to their belongings, you could end up dealing with liability or insurance issues.
@Andrew Katz I know you want to avoid paperwork, but wouldn't you also want to avoid a lawsuit or any kind of legal issues? Always good to have a quick and easy addendum drawn up or an amendment to the lease to reflect a new start date -- even if you don't charge them more.
What if they move stuff in and damage the property? Your lease doesn't reflect that they were there. What if they move stuff in and trip and fall and blame you, there's not paperwork in place to protect you.
I just don't trust anyone these days
It is best to wait until the lease has been signed and the move-in inspection has been completed before allowing them to move anything in.
@Dan H. you misread my post. In over 30 years managing hundreds of Client owned units, I never "cowered" from anybody, and now I am enjoying retirement here. My point for newbs on the forum is that lawsuits, Win OR Lose, are costly in time and money. Quality systems, consistently applied, will minimize unnecessary expenses. That is just a fact.
This usually comes down to risk versus convenience.
Once a tenant starts moving belongings into the unit, many jurisdictions can view that as taking possession, even if the lease start date hasn’t technically begun yet. That can create complications if something changes before the official move-in.
If owners do allow it, it’s usually safer to have:
the lease fully executed
security deposit and first month’s rent already paid
utilities transferred
written confirmation of the official possession date
Some landlords still prefer to avoid early move-ins altogether for exactly this reason. It’s not about being difficult — it’s about keeping the timeline and liability clear.
A small favor can sometimes create a much bigger legal or operational issue if something goes wrong.
As a professional, I would not recommend allowing the tenant to move items in before signing a lease and paying rent. Allowing a tenant to move items into the property before the official lease start date can create several legal, financial, and operational problems for a landlord. If something goes wrong, it can complicate your ability to enforce the lease terms. It can also become a liability if something happens such as theft, fire, damage, or injury, while moving. It can also set wrong expectations.
A professional way to explain it to the tenant:
"To protect both you and the property, we’re unable to allow any items to be moved into the home before the official lease start date. This helps ensure the property is fully prepared for your move-in and that responsibility for the home begins clearly on the agreed date."
I wouldn’t.
Until the lease is fully executed, security deposit is cleared, first month’s rent is paid, and possession legally transfers, that is still your property and your liability.
If you let them move items in early, you create gray areas:
• Are they now a tenant?
• What if they damage something?
• What if the deal falls apart?
• What if they claim early occupancy rights?
In Chicago especially, you do not want ambiguity around possession.
If you decide to allow it anyway, minimum protections:
• Lease fully signed
• All funds collected and cleared
• Written early access agreement
• Clear statement that occupancy begins on X date
• No overnight stays
• Insurance verified
But personally, I keep it simple:
Keys on lease start date.
No exceptions.
Clean boundaries prevent expensive problems.
My future tenant sent this email:
Should I allow them to move some stuff in ahead of time?
No. This is why God invented self-storage units.
NEVER. NEVER EVER. NEVER. OKAY, NEVER.