What's Your Best Landlord "Hack" ?

What's Your Best Landlord "Hack" ?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

People love "life hacks." A life hack is a simple strategy/process/tool/trick for improving your life in an unconventional way. For example: 

So... 

I am writing a post about "Landord Hacks" - it's the little things that a landlord can do to make their life easier, save money, etc.  And I need your help! 

So my question is: What is your best Landlord Hack(s) ? 

I'll give you a couple quick examples: 

1.) Have a hole in the middle of a hollowcore door? Rather than replacing, just buy a $5 mirror at Wal-Mart and screw it to the door. Not only does it hide the hole, it makes the hallway look larger and ads some decoration to a boring space! 

2. ) From @Darren Sager - Always write the paint color that a unit is IN the lease when you sign it. That way, when you need to repaint, you know exactly what color you used. 

So... your turn! What are your best Landlord Hacks? 

Go! 

12Reply
286 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2011 · 95 posts · 65 votes
12y

1) I send birthday cards to each tenant with a $5 Starbucks card

2) I send a postcard to each 'door' once a quarter, asking them if there's anything I can do for them.

3) On a tenant's one year anniversary, I give them an 'upgrade' of their choice, within reason. It's usually something I would do when they move out anyway, I just get to do it with them there.

4.) I have five properties and eight doors, I've never had a move-out, a late payment or an eviction. Special attention works.

See this reply in the discussion

101 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Only provide locking deadbolts, use pass through handles for all exterior doors. That way, tenants can't lock themselves out and call you at 2:00 am because they need you to drive over and let them in.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    LOVE that tip, @Andrew Syrios ! I'd never heard that before!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2010 · 93 posts · 32 votes
    12y

    order property specific deposit slips and send them to each tenant at the start. when they deposit the check at the beginning of the month, it shows the property address on the deposit slip for easy tracking

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    KwikSet Smartkeys!!! I absolutely love how easy it is to rekey locks now and I've been able to eliminate the box full of doorknob/deadbolt in ziplock bags. I have 6 keys that I just rotate out for each property. Some people also like landlordlocks, I haven't tried them out yet but may get a set to try out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris K. - you probably should watch one of the videos at this next link:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=kwikset+smart+key+...

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

    @Chris K. - you probably should watch one of the videos at this next link:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=kwikset+smart+key+...

     I've seen them. Everytime I post about the smartkeys someone reminds me that theres a tool to break them ;) . They can always find a way in.

  • Homeowner · Havertown, PA · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    Those portable scanners that can quickly take receipts, leases, invoices, checks, etc and turn them into digital docs. 

    Tracking mileage apps

    Flashlight app

    Voip service -- so voicemails can be delivered as files to your email inbox.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2010 · 93 posts · 32 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Chris K.:

    KwikSet Smartkeys!!! I absolutely love how easy it is to rekey locks now and I've been able to eliminate the box full of doorknob/deadbolt in ziplock bags. I have 6 keys that I just rotate out for each property. Some people also like landlordlocks, I haven't tried them out yet but may get a set to try out.

     yeah a buddy of mine has landlord locks and loves them. he also has a 30 unit and another larger complex so it saves him a ton of money, and time. haven't used them myself but a good resource.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Use the same color paint in all units. No need to remember what color each place is painted that way, and no partial gallons of leftover paint sitting around - it just gets used on the next rehab.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Mini-blinds always seem to get destroyed.  Put up a 99-cent curtain rod and some cheap curtains from Goodwill or eBay (like $4) - multiple benefits:

    a) Cheaper than the $8 mini-blinds for every window.

    b) Makes the place look nicer and more of a home feel.

    c) When the tenant departs they can be washed and re-hung - no more throwing away damaged mini-blinds that wind up in a landfill.  Then you don't have to buy more mini-blinds either. Better for the environment and saves money on turnover.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Put scrap vinyl flooring under the sinks and curl up behind the plumbing.  This way, if there's a sink leak, its not ruining the bottom of the cabinet.  If the tenant has a cleaning supply spill, it's not ruining the bottom of the cabinet. It also looks pretty nice too.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 619 posts · 128 votes
    12y

    @Dawn Anastasi  do you have a picture you could share of the scrap vinyl under the sink hack? I'm not visualizing it off the top of my head.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Gautam Venkatesan:

    @Dawn Anastasi  do you have a picture you could share of the scrap vinyl under the sink hack? I'm not visualizing it off the top of my head.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 619 posts · 128 votes
    12y

    @Chris K. thanks! So its glued down? If there is a leak and the vinyl is stained and needs replacement how do you handle it?

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    @Gautam Venkatesan that pic used tiles so had to be glue down. But you can use sheet vinyl similarly and no need to glue that in place. 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios:

    Only provide locking deadbolts, use pass through handles for all exterior doors. That way, tenants can't lock themselves out and call you at 2:00 am because they need you to drive over and let them in.

     Andrew,

    Or use Zigbee/Zwave deadbolts, then if your tenants call at 02:00, you pickup your phone or laptop and open the door.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Google Docs - so you can access your rental contracts at home or the office - easy and free!

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 640 posts · 457 votes
    12y

    1) I like to put these vinyl door stoppers on the walls above bathtubs. They let tenants know exactly where to put their shower curtain rod, and they also protect the walls from repeated installations. 

    2) Hide an interior door lock opening toolsomewhere in the rental (they come free with new handle kits). Then when one of the tenants calls to say they're locked out of their bedroom, simply tell them where the tool is.  

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

    @Gautam Venkatesan that pic used tiles so had to be glue down. But you can use sheet vinyl similarly and no need to glue that in place. 

     I don't use "sticky tiles" or glue down tiles.  I just use scraps of sheet vinyl and on occasion I've used very small nails to hold it in place.  You can easily remove.  I've also used scraps of the same sheet vinyl inside kitchen cabinet drawers and inside cupboards.  You never know what food tenants are going to spill in there.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

    @Gautam Venkatesan that pic used tiles so had to be glue down. But you can use sheet vinyl similarly and no need to glue that in place. 

     I don't use "sticky tiles" or glue down tiles.  I just use scraps of sheet vinyl and on occasion I've used very small nails to hold it in place.  You can easily remove.  I've also used scraps of the same sheet vinyl inside kitchen cabinet drawers and inside cupboards.  You never know what food tenants are going to spill in there.

    We do a similar under sink treatment in the kitchen and bathroom vanities.  We have one unit, where the tenants manage to dislodge the vinyl with surprising regularity ... perhaps they keep their curling stones under the sink? We are presently experimenting with velcro strips - one side fixed permanently to the floor of the cabinet, the other to the back of the vinyl as a means of securing it in-place.

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 342 posts · 123 votes
    12y

    I love Landlord locks also. They work great and once you buy the deadbolt the cylinders are cheap, then just swap them out as needed.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    drywall screws, " great stuff".... The ultimate problem solvers.......
  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 342 posts · 123 votes
    12y

    There are some great tips in here by the way. I like the vinyl under the sink and door stoppers for the shower rod?

    Another thing I think is a good idea that a very experienced LL taught me is to put a 2' band of mulch around a house, dig up /kill grass, put down weed blocker, cover with mulch. It looks great and also keeps the grass from building up against the house since apparently it is a federal offense for a tenant to own a weed eater, lol.

    Also helps protect the AC unit near the house.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Up here they are allowed to own them, provided they swear a proclamation they will never use one. ;-)   

    It's like student tenants who elect to shovel their own snow to save a few bucks ... we no longer offer that choice either.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 54 votes
    12y

    I like to custom fit shower wall panels as a back splash for the kitchen sink and behind the stove.  The back splash stays white forever and they are very to clean.  No more repainting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.