What's Your Best Landlord "Hack" ?

What's Your Best Landlord "Hack" ?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

People love "life hacks." A life hack is a simple strategy/process/tool/trick for improving your life in an unconventional way. For example: 

So... 

I am writing a post about "Landord Hacks" - it's the little things that a landlord can do to make their life easier, save money, etc.  And I need your help! 

So my question is: What is your best Landlord Hack(s) ? 

I'll give you a couple quick examples: 

1.) Have a hole in the middle of a hollowcore door? Rather than replacing, just buy a $5 mirror at Wal-Mart and screw it to the door. Not only does it hide the hole, it makes the hallway look larger and ads some decoration to a boring space! 

2. ) From @Darren Sager - Always write the paint color that a unit is IN the lease when you sign it. That way, when you need to repaint, you know exactly what color you used. 

So... your turn! What are your best Landlord Hacks? 

Go! 

12Reply
280 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2011 · 95 posts · 65 votes
12y

1) I send birthday cards to each tenant with a $5 Starbucks card

2) I send a postcard to each 'door' once a quarter, asking them if there's anything I can do for them.

3) On a tenant's one year anniversary, I give them an 'upgrade' of their choice, within reason. It's usually something I would do when they move out anyway, I just get to do it with them there.

4.) I have five properties and eight doors, I've never had a move-out, a late payment or an eviction. Special attention works.

See this reply in the discussion

101 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Doug H.:

    Roy N. - how do you quote the post you are commenting on?

    ....and, I'll rephrase that:

    double drywall is a very cost efficient and effective form of soundproofing. Because of human hearing range, a person will perceive a 10 decibel sound drop as a 50% reduction.

    Depends on the frequency of the sound 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.