Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
People love "life hacks." A life hack is a simple strategy/process/tool/trick for improving your life in an unconventional way. For example:
So...
I am writing a post about "Landord Hacks" - it's the little things that a landlord can do to make their life easier, save money, etc. And I need your help!
So my question is: What is your best Landlord Hack(s) ?
I'll give you a couple quick examples:
1.) Have a hole in the middle of a hollowcore door? Rather than replacing, just buy a $5 mirror at Wal-Mart and screw it to the door. Not only does it hide the hole, it makes the hallway look larger and ads some decoration to a boring space!
2. ) From @Darren Sager - Always write the paint color that a unit is IN the lease when you sign it. That way, when you need to repaint, you know exactly what color you used.
So... your turn! What are your best Landlord Hacks?
Rental Property Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2011 · 95 posts · 65 votes
12y
1) I send birthday cards to each tenant with a $5 Starbucks card
2) I send a postcard to each 'door' once a quarter, asking them if there's anything I can do for them.
3) On a tenant's one year anniversary, I give them an 'upgrade' of their choice, within reason. It's usually something I would do when they move out anyway, I just get to do it with them there.
4.) I have five properties and eight doors, I've never had a move-out, a late payment or an eviction. Special attention works.
Investor · Newnan, GA · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 24 votes
11y
We used mysmartmove.com for tenant screening which was easy and convenient.
Also, since we are 1.5 hrs away from our rental property, we have our tenant deposit her rent at the bank. All she has to know is our name, and the address of the rental and the bank puts it into our checking account we have designated for that property. It's convenient for us so far, and the check clears right away, and all we have to do is log into our bank app on the 1st to confirm it is there.
We established early on with our tenant that we prefer to communicate through text for most things. Very easy and usually yields quicker response times.
I agree with the gifts idea. At Christmas we dropped off homemade cookies and a Starbucks card.
Are you using a smaller bank or one of the large ones? I have tried similar solutions but have had issues with the bank tagging any information to the deposit (which becomes more and more of a problem as you increase the number of properties). Thanks!
Are you using a smaller bank or one of the large ones? I have tried similar solutions but have had issues with the bank tagging any information to the deposit (which becomes more and more of a problem as you increase the number of properties). Thanks!
Thad
We use Wells Fargo, which has a branch right by the rental property. It is also where that mortgage is at so it keeps things simple. When we set it up we told them what we were using it for, and they let us give the account a name. Our tenant goes to the same branch every month and we haven't ever had a problem so far. None of our personal accounts are there so they can't really mess it up too much, just one checking account and two mortgages now.
Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y
Two years ago, I wrote this:
HOW TO KEEP THE CATS OUT OF THE FLOWER BED: If you have cats in the neighborhood who have discovered your planting bed as a good place for their deposits, lay down chicken wire mesh on top of the soil and cover it lightly with mulch. It is the only deterrent that has worked for us. Plants can still be planted by cutting a spot in the chicken wire mesh. You or your tenants can also place potted plants on top of it. The cats try scratching once, get their claws caught on the wire and won't come back.
Now I have another great idea to add along these same lines:
HAZEL NUT SHELLS! Just got this tip from the guy at our gardening center. You see, hazel nuts are the number 1 agricultural crop in Oregon and we live just north of Oregon. Some hazel nut farmers have figured out there is a market for hazel nut shells as a top dressing for garden beds. After the nuts are removed from their shells, the shells are bagged and sold at gardening centers. They dress up the beds quite nicely and last about 5 years. Bonus...cats don't like walking on them, so they will avoid the beds covered in hazel nut shells!
Beware of filbert blight in those hazelnut shells ... though I presume they control for that pretty tightly in your area where there is a commercial crop. We have a corkscrew hazel which I planted for my wife when we bought the house 20-some years ago and it has contracted the blight ... and the garden centre thinks the mulch may have been the cause.
Investor · Bryan, TX · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 82 votes
10y
great topic!
I'm still acting as my own property manager. I communicate with my tenants through text. This is a written, recorded, time stamped record of every conversation.
Get repair guys personal cell phone numbers. It's much easier to call them on weekends or after hours.
I always knock s little off the rent for Christmas.
I don't lie but I am the manager. I never tell tenants I'm the owner.
I have found a guy that deals in used appliances. He also makes appliance repairs for me. Last stove I bought was 125$ installed on the second floor. All his stuff is clean and works great.
Here in south/central Texas I have to keep a cheap used window a/c unit in storage. If the central air goes out then I can at least keep one room comfortable until the ac man can make repairs
Beware of filbert blight in those hazelnut shells ... though I presume they control for that pretty tightly in your area where there is a commercial crop. We have a corkscrew hazel which I planted for my wife when we bought the house 20-some years ago and it has contracted the blight ... and the garden centre thinks the mulch may have been the cause.
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind, but I doubt it's a problem here. The nut shells we use for mulch are extremely clean and commercially packaged in 30 lb bags. I read about that blight in the eastern part of the country, but not in the Pacific Northwest. I also heard the blight transmission is not from the shells, but rather from twigs that may get mixed in. You're right, our hazel nuts (filberts) are commercially grown and disease is extremely well controlled. Were you using hazel nut shell mulch under that corkscrew hazel tree, or regular mulch?
Our problems came after we used a mulch that was a mixture of coir and hazelnut (and one another nut) shells. {Ornamental} hazelnuts are not common here as we are at the very edge of their range, which is why the arborist suspected (there are no other trees around to have introduced the blight). I actually had to order the treatment from Oregon as none of the regularly stocked fungicides around here were even able to annoy the blight. We've kept the tree going ten years, but are slowly loosing the battle (I amputated a lot of limbs last year).
Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 87 votes
10y
I worked at a great property management company for a while doing remodels on all their units. We would always write on the top of all the paint cans - which unit it was, and what rooms it was for. This made it super helpful for homes that had multiple colors. I also use a universal color in all of my rentals now. It just makes it so much easier. Same sheen and everything.
Another obvious one - I use a silicone caulk around the base of the bathtub, toilet, AND around the bottom of the trim in all the bathrooms. If your good with caulk, you can make it look natural. This way, if the toilet overflows and a tenant lets it sit for a while, it protects my subfloor. We have had many times this has been a huge benefit!
Lastly, I use cozy.com for all of my payments. Every tenant I have worked with has given great feedback about their experience with it, and it has proved to make my life much easier when it comes to getting paid.
Another obvious one - I use a silicone caulk around the base of the bathtub, toilet, AND around the bottom of the trim in all the bathrooms. If your good with caulk, you can make it look natural. This way, if the toilet overflows and a tenant lets it sit for a while, it protects my subfloor. We have had many times this has been a huge benefit!
Chris:
I didn't think anyone caulked around the base of toilets anymore. If the wax seal leaks, you won't know until after it has soaked the subfloor ... unless, of course, it comes through the ceiling below first.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Roy N., I guess that is a concern! Your probably right, but we still do it! We will have to reconsider our strategy and decide if its worth it ;) Thanks for the input!
@Roy N., I guess that is a concern! Your probably right, but we still do it! We will have to reconsider our strategy and decide if its worth it ;) Thanks for the input!
We caulk around three sides and leave the back open. This prevent urine that misses the mark from getting under the toilet (front and sides) and allows an exit for leaking water (back).
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 59 votes
10y
There are these little things called "zip it's" from Home Depot. They are like giant disposable zip ties used to clear out drains. Since most clogs are hair clogs, these things save you a ton on plumber calls. I will even leave a couple with problem residents.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Zip-It-Bath-and-Sink-Hair-Snare-BC00400/100665735
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 59 votes
10y
My best hacks involve expectation setting "scripts" used during the interview that help potential residents self-screen themselves. But, I don't think that is what you are asking...
Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Include a Tip sheet for how to use ovens, washers/dryers, changing temperatures in room or refrigerator, etc.
simple things that tenants may decide to call you on. I put up laminate paper holders around the rental and slip these in so they are easy to access. Change em ,when directions change
Probably works best with students rentals, since interior design isn't a huge deal to them
Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
10y
A general question about garage door remotes in another thread of this forum reminded me of this "hack" I thought I would add here...
If your property has a garage door opener, you should do a full reset of the paired remotes between tenants. Why? Just because they give you the remotes you provided doesn't mean they didn't pair an aftermarket remote or the one built into their vehicle. If you don't do a full reset of the paired remotes, you risk past tenants having access to the property through the garage door.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 59 votes
10y
Oh, here is one. The best soundproofing for walls is putting up a second sheet of drywall over the offending wall with about 1/8th of an inch air gap between the two sheets.
Oh, here is one. The best soundproofing for walls is putting up a second sheet of drywall over the offending wall with about 1/8th of an inch air gap between the two sheets.
Actually, filling the wall cavity with dense sound deadening insulation (such as rock wool) then face both sides resilient channel (wth 1B-1 or RSIC{?} clips) and 5/8" drywall will give you much quieter wall assembly (somewhere around STC 55 - 60 ... been a while since I've done the math) while also meeting fire code for common walls.
If you want to go further for even less neighbour noise in a higher end unit, you can add a second sheet of (5/8) drywall, but instead of an air gap (which would require shimming and create a conduit for lower frequency sounds), use a sound deadening/absorbing filler such as "green glue" between the sheets.
Investor · Bryan, TX · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 82 votes
10y
about the caulking around the toilets.....
Toilet wax ring seals begin to leak mostly due to movement of the toilet. To stop this big stores and plumbing supply houses sell small plastic wedges that are used to remove any play a toilet may have. Then I choose the proper colored tile grout, mix it to the thickness of peanut butter and grout around the toilet leaving the back open to expose any leaks. Now you have a rock solid throne.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 59 votes
10y
Roy N. - how do you quote the post you are commenting on?
....and, I'll rephrase that:
double drywall is a very cost efficient and effective form of soundproofing. Because of human hearing range, a person will perceive a 10 decibel sound drop as a 50% reduction.
Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 54 votes
10y
Here are my few more hacks I use:
1. I'm big on communication with my tenants. I downloaded a sms text scheduler on my phone that sends out a scheduled monthly text reminding them when the rent is due, how to pay it, late fees, and asking them if they have any repair issues. I have very few collection issues. During summer and winter I set up reminder text for cutting grass and shoveling snow. It works great!
2. Whenever I might have to send out a notice for behavior or rent I send them the notice via email first, then later in the day serve the notice the required way. I usually get an instant response and resolution from my tenants and you have a stored copy of the notice in your email.
3. Do you want your tenants to be more responsible and receive fewer maintenance calls? Give them the tools to do so. At move in, all of my tenants receive a new sink and toilet plunger, snow shovels (usually still there from the last tenant), a sealing bucket from Home Depot that is full of snow salt (they get one free bag from me each year), and each stove has an oven liner to help keep the oven cleaner. Everything on this list is less than $100 total but it is priceless in comparison to the time I save in managing properties.
4. Finally I am big on fire prevention. Since my day job is property management, I have seen what can happens when other landlords don't spend a few dollars to protect their investment. In all my units they have a mounted fire extinguisher in the kitchen, each level has at least one hardwired smoke/ carbon monoxide detector, and I install firestops above the stoves. In my lease the tenant acknowledges that all of the fire prevention items are there at move in.