That title caught your eye, didn't it?
I have 4 tenants in this property.
So tenant A & B saying tenant C is smoking pot in the house (I've already given her a warning based on prior rumors). Also, tenant B says tenant D is doing it as well. I have written statements from both tenant A & B. Is that enough to evict the pot smokers?
saw this thread title in my email and had to come here and make sure it wasn't started by my landlord. Carry on...
"And they all lived happily ever after." [Dude, is that Afghani Kush?]
I agree with you 100% that the majority of people that smoke weed are not hard criminals. That doesn't mean what Joe describes is a thing of the past, as "i truly can't believe people in this day and age still think like this" suggests.
Clearly not the class of people that Taylor is dealing with, but they exist nonetheless.
As for what was being sold in town today, I had no desire to ask what was on the menu. I just take in the mental images and use them as motivation to escape the 9 to 5 as soon as possible.
Anyone's that use, sell, transport drugs is a low-life uneducated person that never had a mother and father to raise them the right way.
Joe Gore
This is the type of ridiculous statement that you are well known for.
Why doesn't someone vote for David because I think the poor kid is on a one way track leading nowhere?
Joe Gore
@Account Closed
Hahaha......I love the people that sit around complaining the world is crumbling due to all the "potheads" ............while waiting on their prescriptions of Vicodin, Xanax and Ambien
Anyone's that use, sell, transport drugs is a low-life uneducated person that never had a mother and father to raise them the right way.
Joe Gore
Haha...good one. Oh, wait...you weren't joking?
Quick question: do you consider alcohol a "drug"?
2/3rds of the 100 million pot smokers are white.
The greater the prestige of one's father's occupation, the greater is the likelihood of smoking pot.
Percentage of those who believe pot is harmless.
College Grad 48%
High School Grad 24%
Stereotypes take little time to create but take a much longer time to undue I hear.
Interestingly enough, I'm probably more annoyed by the people who come into the forums claiming to be experts, lobbing around opinions as facts, and doing it all while not being able to use proper English than I am about the people who are sitting in their living rooms lighting up occasionally. With that said, I still don't want my tenants smoking ANYTHING in my property. And, if I can prove they are dealing ANYTHING, I will take the necessary steps to ensure they are no longer my tenant.
Wow, that's a pretty neat arrangement you had. Was that overseas? Sounds like more of a hostel-like arrangement.
What are you saying will be forfeited?
I'm giving them the next month to get out of their lease early, otherwise I won't renew once the leases are up.
I am not sure if that young ladies post was directed to my post. These are facts. You can look them up. You would not be the first who did not like or believe those facts. I would not blame you as our government has been systematically misleading the public and medical community for decades regarding pot. I am typing on a tablet so please excuse my typos.
Thanks,
Matt
Why doesn't someone vote for David because I think the poor kid is on a one way track leading nowhere?
Joe Gore
Just like I am not concerned about fitting in, I am also not concerned about votes.
That being said, when I get them for posts directed at you it is confirmation that others view you as a troll just like I do.
I am not sure if that young ladies post was directed to my post. These are facts. You can look them up. You would not be the first who did not like or believe those facts. I would not blame you as our government has been systematically misleading the public and medical community for decades regarding pot. I am typing on a tablet so please excuse my typos.
Thanks,
Matt
Why doesn't someone vote for David because I think the poor kid is on a one way track leading nowhere?
Joe Gore
Wow, that's a pretty neat arrangement you had. Was that overseas? Sounds like more of a hostel-like arrangement.
No, it was in Lewiston, Maine right here in the USA. That was more than 25 years ago however, but the place might still exist I am sure the owner has passed by now, but he did have at least one son and a daughter I know of, that are around my age, so one of them might have kept it going. That house was gigantic. Maybe around 6000 SF, that must have been built in the late 1800's but thanks to the people that could not keep a job, it was well kept up. He worked them hard now, but at the same time watched over them. Every room door was commercial steel, and had a deadbolt. You had a key and he had the master. He made no secret about checking your room out either. He wouldn't search through your stuff, but you knew he had been there, because he would tell you one way or another. I know one time he had a run away girl living there, and he notified the police and talked to her parents on the phone even, without the girl knowing. Because of this man, and the way he did things, and the relationship he had with the police, the girls parents came and got her, and she thanked him when she left. I also know the police would pick up a vagrant from time to time, and bring them to him, and he would let them sleep in the basement, and even feed them if they needed it and swiftly threw them out by 10 the next morning. See a winter night in Maine can get well below zero, just like in Utah. Don't get me wrong the guy was not a bible thumper either, he drank and partied right along with the tenants. If someone got mean when they got drunk, either out in the snow they went or to bed. He put up with no crap.
When I lived there the owner was like 60 years old at least, and he had some medical issues, one to do with site, that I know of, he was like 5'8 or so and maybe weighed about 250 pounds, it would not be what you would expect to keep all of these people in line. We used to kid him about wearing a pistol on his belt when he collected the rent, however, he was right to do it. He was married, but his wife stayed mainly in their living area. You would see her occasionally and every so ofter she would cook for everyone, if everyone paid like $2.00. If it wasn't for pretty much, everyone, she wouldn't do it. To feed 30 people or so is a big task you know. His children had long moved out of the house by then. He didn't start it until they were grown. They would come and visit of course, sometimes nearly every night, sometimes once a week, but it was like they were visiting with everyone. The place gave you a real sense of family. This guy raised some people that lived there in some ways. He knew a lot of people and would even help the unemployed find work, if they asked him to. Who did not like him? I will give you a hint, his neighbors, mainly because of parking. For this reason if those 2 places in the driveway were full, you had to walk 2 blocks from were you parked your car. If a neighbor would complain about someone, out they went. So, some of the tenants would cut the neighbors grass in the summer, just to try to keep them happy. The owner of the place would also clear the neighbors driveways and sidewalks from snow. I think he was always within one step of the city shutting him down. The neighbors worried him more than anything else.
In my opinion, I wish there were more places like his. We have a need for them, but try to do it and see what happens.
Write them a pleasant letter containing something along these lines:
Dear Tenant,
It has come to my attention that you and/or your guests gave been smoking marijuana within your apartment. This behavior is illegal and must be corrected immediately.
Your lease contains specific language regarding the use of illegal drugs and other such activity within the property. This is a direct violation of your lease.
If I receive any further complaints or evidence of illegal activity coming from your unit your lease will be terminated/non-renewed.
If you are on a Month to Month lease. Simply give them their 20 day notice to leave. No reason needed.
If you are on a Month to Month lease. Simply give them their 20 day notice to leave. No reason needed.
Different states, different laws. That option is not available to everyone. But it is nice for the lucky landlords in Washington State! With the exception of Seattle which does not allow "no cause" terminations.
Write them a pleasant letter containing something along these lines:
Dear Tenant,
It has come to my attention that you and/or your guests gave been smoking marijuana within your apartment. This behavior is illegal and must be corrected immediately.
Your lease contains specific language regarding the use of illegal drugs and other such activity within the property. This is a direct violation of your lease.
If I receive any further complaints or evidence of illegal activity coming from your unit your lease will be terminated/non-renewed.
Marcus,
Not that I would not be against this letter, but there are two problems with it. Now I am not a Lawyer, but I would advise against it.
First, in the the first line you may have committed "Slander" because you are stating something you don't know, and only have been told about. You are making an assumption you cannot prove.
Second is actually you have admitted that you know about this activity, and this letter could be used against you in a court of law, to take your property away, because you knew of illegal activity and failed to contact the proper authorities.
Now in a perfect and just world, it would not be a problem. But I have not lived in that world for many years now.
This is just my opinion.
A Comply or Quit does what @Marcus Curtis is suggesting.
I think the lesson learned is that you have to remember that you are dealing with teenagers, possibly in their first away-from-home living experience. Your owner occupant status in this arrangement is a liability because you will be aware of their activities.
I disagree with some posters that this a greed thing on your part. There are certain locations here that are predominantly off-campus student housing. This is how students rent and because these are whole neighborhoods full of 19 year-olds, there are few families that want to live there on conventional leases. To lease any other way would be fighting the market. Also, you have a new set of problems having 4 unrelated students on the same lease.
I know a bunch of young landlords that rent rooms in their personal residence to students to pay the mortgage. They charge less than conventional student oriented housing and have tenants that stay there for three years (USU requires freshman to live in student housing). With few exceptions, all the tenants come from existing tenant referrals and these landlords have few problems.
I also disagree with some of the other posters that the mother getting involved is a big deal and that you really have much legal exposure, but in the future, as the tenants are technically adults, you should have told the mother that you have a policy not to discuss leases and tenancy with third parties. End of conversation. In landlording and property management you will make people upset (security deposits, inability to deliver premises, etc). I get threatened with phrases like "my father is an attorney" monthly. In the end, what are the damages that a lawyer could pursue?
Bottom line is get your policies in line. Create a set of house rules reference it and incorporate into the lease. Make it very restrictive (no alcohol, no drugs, no overnight guests, etc). Explain it to every new tenant and tell them there is zero tolerance for violations (or a one warning policy). I can't imagine that you're reducing the BYU tenant pool by prohibiting these things. You already have enough headaches with student housing without accommodating partying.
If tenant D (I think) knew she could lose her housing for smoking pot, she may have been much more discreet. You wouldn't have known and perhaps her roommates wouldn't have known and there would not have been these issues. If she was so brazen to break the rules openly, she should be thrown out for lack of respect of her roommates, rules, and her landlord.
Hope it all works out.
Wm
I know a bunch of young landlords that rent rooms in their personal residence to students to pay the mortgage.
Where I live, young people do it all over. However, at the same time it is their "personal residence" like you state. The owner is one of the roommates and lives in the same apartment. I am not young, but if it was up to me I would do it myself. My home could accommodate up to at least 5 tenants. This is not greed in my opinion either. It is making the best use of what you have, and it is a very smart thing to do.
The problem is here, that the landlord may live on the same property, but does not share the same apartment with the tenants. This keeps her very separated from the day to day activities that are happening.
Yes, you have to be very strict with the rules. One warning and then you are out, would cure the problem easily. But not knowing and doing it on hearsay is a whole lot different.
About the comment about the parents getting involved: Now you know as well as I do, if you had a daughter that just left home, that when she goes to mommy because she has a problem, and that problem is that she does not feel safe with the situation she is living in, and that person contacts you, the landlord, with illegal activity happening that any judge would allow the lease to be broken without incident, even though you could not prove it. Bringing this, someone using drugs in the residence, would most likely put you under a microscope that you may not care for.
Really she may fix this problem real easily. Just include herself is one of the tenants. This way she can enter the apartment anytime she desires, without having to give notice. She does not have to have a bed in apartment, and still can live where she does on the property, and will know what is happening on a day to day basis.
@William Hochstedler About the comment about the parents getting involved: Now you know as well as I do, if you had a daughter that just left home, that when she goes to mommy because she has a problem, and that problem is that she does not feel safe with the situation she is living in, and that person contacts you, the landlord, with illegal activity happening that any judge would allow the lease to be broken without incident, even though you could not prove it.
-----------
The best thing for the parent to do is to teach the daughter what she needs to do, not to fight her battles for her. William is right in that the matters of the tenant should not be discussed with the parent. It is also good for landlords to be flexible when faced with out of the ordinary circumstances and letting a person terminate a lease early without penalty is certainly an option. Involving law enforcement and the courts at this juncture would be premature. Fact finding is required. Talk to the tenants, set clear expectations and follow through if the terms of the rental agreement are broken. Do what is usual and customary in accordance with the landlord-tenant law for the jurisdiction.
Good points.
Regarding the mother's involvement, I would certainly let the daughter out of the lease to avoid conflict and anxiety, but don't think her litigious threats will go very far. @Taylor Chiu has zero motivation for trying to enforce a student lease when an anxious helicopter mom is threatening law suits. Good riddance.
But usually things calm down and we find this was just an overreaction, particularly if C&D move out...
Thanks for your input, I wish I had listened to more of your original advice! As you said, it's not really a greed thing on our part - what we are doing is very common in this area. Some families won't rent room-to-room - instead, they'll just live in the basement and rent the upstairs to a couple - but the arrangement of owner living on property (separately) happens often.
Good advice about not discussing leases with third parties. In fact, when the mom gave her little legal threat, I should have mentioned that I didn't tell her about the rumor of marijuana use because that is private info privy to that tenant (plus the mom didn't ask anyways).
Yes, I'm working to get everything in line at this point. I think one of the girls with a contract through next August drinks, so I'll probably have to hold off of a "no-drinking" policy. Although I like catering to UVU students as well, so.....