• Port Hueneme, CA
Votes |
Craziest Tenant Experience?

James R. Copeland
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Port Hueneme, CA
Posted Dec 7 2017, 21:09

So I have to share mine, because it just happened this week. We went back and forth with the tenant in our rental home but finally convinced them to move out without having to go the eviction route. When they did finally leave, it costed about 10k to fix the house up so it was move in ready again. We're showing it this coming weekend and are excited to find a better tenant, knock on wood. 

After we were just about done cleaning it up though, my wife decided to go over there on Monday to throw away some junk the tenant had left in the back yard. While she was tidying up the back yard she noticed a bucket filling up with dirty rain water. The bucket's lid had a big U shape cut into it for some reason. She kicked over the bucket to spill the dirty rain water out onto the concrete walkway beside the house. To her horror, she saw (and smelled) a whole bunch of human turds go rolling and oozing out onto the concrete. 

... Queue the stunned silence.

I guess our old outdoorsy tenant wasn't satisfied with the 3 (yes, THREE) perfectly good toilets in the house, and decided to make a DIY toilet in the back yard.

For the next few hours she texted me some very colorful comments about our old tenants while spraying dish soap she had brought along all over the concrete and scrubbing it out as best she could. Needless to say, I picked up the expensive dinner tab that night and showered her with as much praise and gratitude as I could muster. 

This was only the latest head scratcher in a long line of oddities which led us to show this tenant the door OUT. I have a hard time believing other landlords could top the leftover DIY toilet in the back yard... but I kinda want to see if you can lol. Any of you have any hilarious or maddening tenant stories that you love to tell at parties? 

Loading replies...