Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
A Father came to look at our rental for his newly graduated college son. I gave the Father a Rental Application as well as an Oregon Rental Application Addendum & Fee Disclosure. The Father dropped of both signed agreements (by his son) two days later with a $50 non-refundable processing fee. During the approval process the son called me and asked if I would make some term adjustments on the Fee Disclosure. I agreed to a pro-rate of 1st months rent and a reduced early lease termination fee. In my mind this oral agreement was only "upon approval." The son however (young) felt that our agreement on terms translated to his approval and said as much to his parents. The parents are livid and telling me I have an oral binding contract with there son and threatening to call an attorney! At no time did I ever tell the son he was approved and I still actually have his $50 un-cashed check. Now we so scared we want to take the unit off the market. A friend suggested mailing check back with no comment? I'm in the State of Oregon.
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y
The Statute of Frauds requires it to be in writing. You can also suggest to this cop that you feel he is using his position of government authority in a threatening manner, and you will file a complaint with his department if he continues to do so.
You do not have a binding contract. All you had was a back and forth phone conversation prior to accepting an applicant. That does not constitute a contract.
Put on your investor/landlord hat and tell the father, regardless of what his actions are, that his son has been declined.
I would likely tell the father to pound sand and ask if he would like my lawyers contact information. But that's just me knowing full well the parents are p*ssing into the wind.
Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
8y
Thanks Tom! To be honest this is the first property we've rented to the general public (other two are corporate rentals) and to have this happen straight out of the gate has us both terrified, and the Father is a police officer...don't know if that matters...but the whole thing scared us. Now we are wanting to not rent anything out and contact an attorney to make sure we are totally protected from Liability as much as possible. We are sole-proprietor's now.
Now their reaction is understandable. He is a cop, most have superiority complexes and like to push their weight around. He is simply trying to bully you.
I love dealing with these types of people but for a newbie it can definatly be intimidating. My advice is that you simply tell the son he is not accepted and move on screening applicants. You have more than enough grounds to reject. Do not be deterred, ignore all future attempts to contact you.
The only thing worse that renting to officers is renting to their young children.
Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 38 votes
8y
I don’t know Oregon law but I know a little contract law. I don’t think there’s a contract. Seems like there’s a lack of consideration here, but do not cash that check! It would act as consideration and could bind you to your word. It also seems that he did not rely on his mistaken belief to his detriment. Let them call an attorney yadda yadda. They will find a new place and move on.
Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 38 votes
8y
@Nina B. On second reading, you may be able to cash the check and get away with it, but I wouldn't risk it. I would just do what @Thomas S. said, just tell them their son has been declined.
Lol @ the father being a cop. I think being a cop is a highly admirable profession. I'm sure he knows a bit about criminal law. But I think it's unlikely he really knows contract law. Again, with @Thomas S. on this one, tell him to pound sand.
Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
8y
Thanks again Tyler and Tom, you've made me feel much so much better! I have absolutely NO INTENTION of cashing this check and I'm running down to the post office right after I post this to mail it off! I do feel bad for the kid, he was excited about his first apartment and I can see how a young person never having done this would have jumped to that conclusion. Next time I'll make myself perfectly clear...agreeing on terms does not constitute approval of the application!
Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
8y
Another quick question since this came up with the son renting. Am I required by law to take co-signers? The parents wanted to co-sign. I don't think going forward that I want a co-sign situation. Your thoughts?
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y
The Statute of Frauds requires it to be in writing. You can also suggest to this cop that you feel he is using his position of government authority in a threatening manner, and you will file a complaint with his department if he continues to do so.
Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
8y
@Nina B. there's no laws requiring co-signers for leases, however I wouldn't balk at the idea. If something happens then the parents are liable as well, it's added protection to the landlord. That is assuming the parents have credit worth risking, if it's already trash then that doesn't matter.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
8y
@Nina B. you are making the right decision to deny them. Any time someone threatens to call an attorney, cease all communications with them. They are verbally threatening you. Tell them never to contact you again. If they try to contact you again, tell them they are harassing you and block their number.
Yes he is a cop, which likely means he thinks he is above the law. A surprisingly large number of police will lie, plant evidence and even break the law, believing they are above it. That is why I don't rent to law enforcement.
Above all, I can't stress more the importance of not talking to them, verbal or written. Any phone conversation is verbal and there is no way to prove what you said. Refuse to discuss the situation with anyone, but your attorney and you will be fine. They will go away.
I avoid co-signers for the simple that it overcomplicates the business. In the case of a young tenant the parents/co-signers will probably interject themselves into the landlord tenant relationship. More layers of drama.
Other than renting to university/college students I would never accept any applicant that could not pass screening on their own merit. It is basically working to qualify a otherwise unqualified applicant. Pass.
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
8y
Just in general, applicants that call to query or ask favors right away or the day after submitting and before the screening is done are a no-go for me. I like to see patience. You know what curiosity got the cat, right? Same thing here. Giving me additional information or clarifying something is way different than calling to bug me about stuff early in.
On things like this with implied approval - need to be clear and preface every answer with - 'well, if it works out and you are approved...' 'we'll consider doing that if you even get approval'...'too early to tell and a non-issue if you aren't even approved'.... you get the drift. Good advice above so I'll stop now.
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
@Nina B. Cash that check. Its unrelated to the lease, its to pay for your processing of the application, which you have done. That should have been cashed before even looking at the app.
If I was in a mood to argue, I'd ask the parents what exactly are the terms of the oral contract you supposedly agreed to? They aren't going to get an attorney, they aren't going to sue, and even if they did you have nothing to worry about. I'd just tell them his application has been declined, you don't know why he told them he was approved since the process takes at least a few days, and there was certainly no meeting of the minds between the 4 of you. Then stop taking their calls. Its understandable why he thought he was approved, but the parents reaction tells me this isn't a group I'd want to deal with.
Rental Property Investor · Sacramento Area, CA · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 64 votes
8y
Hi,
First, who cares what the father does for a living; cop or no cop. You were not talking to the father and he is not your prospective tenant. If the father is throwing around "I am a police officer" attitude, I would give a nice call to his chief or immediate supervisor. That will stop him cold! Second, you had a simple conversation with a prospective tenant. This happens all the time and it is not until both parties agree and sign the lease that you really have a binding contract. After all, a verbal agreement is as good as the paper it is written on. Third, Like Tyler said, DO NOT cash that check. That may look like you have approved the tenant. Plus, if this tenant is giving you this much grief BEFORE he is actually a tenant, what do you think he will do once he has moved in.
I would keep moving forward and get your property rented to someone with less demands and with a solid rental history. Your easiest eviction is your application process!
Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
8y
This thing has turned into a nightmare!
Thank you so much everyone for your responses and advice, as I sit here with knots in my stomach it makes me feel I have some support on my side!
I spoke with my attorney yesterday and he advised NOT talking to the parents as they are not the tenant and advised returning the uncashed application fee. He didn't say anything about declining the application, however, to be on the safe side I did print out an Oregon Form 43 Denial letter and mailed it along with the check. Reasons for denial, insufficient income and lack of rental history (both true). The parents texted me this morning to check on the "resolution of the apartment." I texted them back, told them that I had been advised to communicate with the tenant only, but did tell them that the application had been denied and that the reasons for denial and the application fee were in the mail addressed to the son/tenant.
Since then I have received texts from all parties, son and parents. They are adamant that we have both a verbal and signed contract (the son signed a fee disclosure statement and the rental application only), they have all stated that I verbally told them the son was approved and he could have the apartment (NEVER happened) and stated that if I don't respond to them and honor my commitment by the end of today they are hiring an attorney, reporting me to the housing authority for breach of contract, fraud and discrimination, and reporting me to the BBB etc. etc. I have not responded to any of the texts.
I'm utterly blown away, I simply don't understand why under the current circumstances they'd even still want to rent the apartment?
Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
Whatever grief they give you at this point, it will PALE in comparison to the grief you would get if this kid became your tenant.
"A nail head is bulging on my living room wall - I am reporting you!"
"My 6 pit bulls are emotional support animals - if you don't let me keep them I am reporting you!"
"Hey, my dad's a cop and he says that what you said/did/look like is a violation of section blah blah blah"
You dodged a bullet with this tenancy. Do not respond to any more communications from them. They will try to use it against you. If you ignore them, they will probably go away.
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
8y
Yeah, when the pushy text to check app status (even when not this combative), I text back that 'the decision is in writing and in the mail. I went to bat for you. Hope it works out!'
Another thread was asking about having an entity as a mgt co. Nice to have a 'bad guy' in times like these.
You'll get through this, Nina. Next time your attorney advises NOT to talk to the parents, don't even text them ;)
Wow lot's of totally speculative cop hate here. Parents sound like every pissed of parent that misunderstood when their kid told his parents he had the place after talking to you.
I didn't see the part where he said rent to my son or I'll arrest you, but sure, totally call his department and effect his career. Very responsible and kind advice...
To the original poster: I love co-sign for young tenants because in my experience that few thousand dollars that the kid won't ever have the ability to pay, the parents will to avoid all 3 of them having a judgement against them. For me it was usually taken care of with one quick phone call. Also I"m sorry you are going through this and agree you are not bound to anything, but hopefully its a lesson to be more clear in the future so you can avoid this entire thing.
Wow lot's of totally speculative cop hate here. Parents sound like every pissed of parent that misunderstood when their kid told his parents he had the place after talking to you.
I didn't see the part where he said rent to my son or I'll arrest you, but sure, totally call his department and effect his career. Very responsible and kind advice...
To the original poster: I love co-sign for young tenants because in my experience that few thousand dollars that the kid won't ever have the ability to pay, the parents will to avoid all 3 of them having a judgement against them. For me it was usually taken care of with one quick phone call. Also I"m sorry you are going through this and agree you are not bound to anything, but hopefully its a lesson to be more clear in the future so you can avoid this entire thing.
You are right. Its perfectly unreasonable to report him to his supervisors while the guy is threatening to destroy the ops life. "by the end of today they are hiring an attorney, reporting me to the housing authority for breach of contract, fraud and discrimination, and reporting me to the BBB etc. etc" Eye roll
Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Nina B. I'm wondering why you didn't listen to your attorney when he said not to talk with them. Find a qualified applicant and get the place rented. Don't worry about this family and count your lucky stars you didn't rent to him. Aso, NEVER allow the tenant to alter your lease. I don't know anyone that's ever rented a car or anything else and was allowed to alter the terms of the agreement. You'll be ok.
Wow lot's of totally speculative cop hate here. Parents sound like every pissed of parent that misunderstood when their kid told his parents he had the place after talking to you.
I didn't see the part where he said rent to my son or I'll arrest you, but sure, totally call his department and effect his career. Very responsible and kind advice...
To the original poster: I love co-sign for young tenants because in my experience that few thousand dollars that the kid won't ever have the ability to pay, the parents will to avoid all 3 of them having a judgement against them. For me it was usually taken care of with one quick phone call. Also I"m sorry you are going through this and agree you are not bound to anything, but hopefully its a lesson to be more clear in the future so you can avoid this entire thing.
You are right. Its perfectly unreasonable to report him to his supervisors while the guy is threatening to destroy the ops life. "by the end of today they are hiring an attorney, reporting me to the housing authority for breach of contract, fraud and discrimination, and reporting me to the BBB etc. etc" Eye roll
Destroy the ops life? Really? "Eye Roll"
What does threatening to get a lawyer and reporting someone to the BBB have to do with him being a cop? If he was a lawyer would you call the Bar association?, if he was a Surgeon would you call the Chief of Medicine?,If he was framer would you call the Foreman? I highly doubt it.