Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Tim Kaminski
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Signing Inherited (Smoking) Tenant to New M2M Lease-How?

Tim Kaminski
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Posted Mar 14 2018, 06:57

Back Story: House hacking a duplex for the first time.  Have an inherited tenant (who smokes!) paying under market rent and has inherited lease agreement ending at end of June.  Tenant is very clean and does not bother me with little things BUT he smokes right outside front door even though it is in his lease that "smoking is not permitted on premises".

Question: Is there a way to have him sign MY lease but only as M2M?  I want to bump the price up to better reflect the market and improvements made to the house(central AC, paint, etc).  I like the idea of giving him options of M2M/8-12 mo lease, but would make the M2M option cheaper than long term solely due to the smoking. 

There is no carpet in the home so the smoke is not holding as much as it could. Also I plan to paint his unit anyway BUT smoke is still going to find a way back in and the area where he smokes has a very strong odor.

This is my first rental and while I am familiar with Long term leases, I wasn't sure if there was a way to have him sign MY lease but only as a M2M.  Typically the leases are worded as "Starting on____and ending on ____ with M2M option after end of lease term"

Let me know your thoughts or if I'm being too confusing with what I need to accomplish!

Thanks BP

Loading replies...