Tenant sees a ghost. What should my response be?

Tenant sees a ghost. What should my response be?

Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 48 votes

So...one of my tenants is claiming that she and her daughter are seeing a spirit in the house. Did not know how to respond to this. If it was a maintenance item I would send my guy to take a look right away, but what the heck I am I supposed to tell someone who's seeing things? BTW I don't believe in ghosts (although those who do believe in ghosts are free to do so and disagree accordingly), but I don't want to be politically ghost believer insensitive and tell her she's crazy. Any advice would be helpful, Ghostbusters, new or old, need not apply.

26Reply
408 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

You can play it one of two ways......

If she is a good tenant, tell her you need to add the ghost as a new tenant on the lease and you will need to now raise her rent.

If she’s been a bad tenant then start the eviction process because she has told you after the fact that she has had someone move in and this wasn’t part of the original lease agreement 

See this reply in the discussion

117 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @John Park. That's a new one, lol. I think I would encourage them to make friends with it! And then just let it ride and do nothing. Hopefully it'll blow over. Good luck!
  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    The insesivity of the responses here is astounding. Just because you never experienced something that is quiet real and possibly very dangerous depending on what type of entity you’re dealing with doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 

    There are many things unexplained and until you experience it making fun of it or jokes something you have no knowledge of is just cruel and inhuman especially with a child involved which is clearly no concern of anyone. After all the sole focus is collect your rent so who cares if this does actually exist and could do harm both mentality and physically. 

    Fact is there are things beyond the world we see that can’t be explained and can be a real issue to deal with. 

    If you actually want a sensible and concerned answer as the owner then take some type of responsibility. I would find out what the tenant would like to do. Explain to them that’s beyond your control and offer support in the only way possible which is see if they want out of the lease. If so, then do it. If not, then there is nothing you can do. 

    Since you now know it’s been reported and they have told you it exists you must disclose whatever you do know even if you haven’t seen or experienced it yourself to any future tenants or buyers. 

    There have many, many cases of this exact situation. If by chance it’s an evil entity (Even if you don’t believe they exist) and something happens you have a great chance of being held responsible if you don’t disclose it. 

    Being pursued by something you have no way to battle is no joke. It can be terrifying and life threatening. It’s not something to take lightly regardless of the many insensitive and inhumane responses. 

    Do as u wish but I tell u now go look it up. You are responsible since you now have reports of it. 

  • Developer · Golden, CO · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    I had a tenant a few years ago that claimed there was a ghost, moved out in a day without notice, broke the lease three months into a year lease, never tried to help me sublet the house, left it super dirty and damaged  and then threatened to sue me for their deposit and back rent. 

    I documented everything, as well as my agnostic views on ghosts. I would document everything and ask your tenant what she wants, as well as let her know your beliefs on ghosts. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Park:

    So...one of my tenants is claiming that she and her daughter are seeing a spirit in the house. Did not know how to respond to this. If it was a maintenance item I would send my guy to take a look right away, but what the heck I am I supposed to tell someone who's seeing things? BTW I don't believe in ghosts (although those who do believe in ghosts are free to do so and disagree accordingly), but I don't want to be politically ghost believer insensitive and tell her she's crazy. Any advice would be helpful, Ghostbusters, new or old, need not apply.

     I would respond with...

    "whenever you have a maintenance issue give me a call, otherwise rent is due on the 1st. Have a nice day."

  • Jake ThompsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 136 votes
    8y

    You should refer to the section of your local landlord/tenant laws that address ghosts and other spirits. This can't be the first time this issue has come up! 

  • Investor · Bergen County, NJ · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    "I ain't afraid of no ghost."

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    8y
    Tell her that she will need to pay you a non refundable ghost deposit and 50 per month ghost rent.
  • Real Estate Agent · Reno / Sparks, NV · Member since 2013 · 174 posts · 59 votes
    8y
    @John Park 👻 Boo!
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 381 posts · 134 votes
    8y

    Just tell your tenant the truth, which is that you have never dealt with a situation like this before.  ( Nor, has any other landlord that you personally know) Then, tell her that she and her daughter should research online.  

    And leave it at that. Don't say research how to get rid of the ghost or how to speak with spirits.  People see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe.  What a strange thing for anyone to say, I wonder what she wants you to do about the situation?  Of course as others have mentioned, I'm thinking she just wants to break the lease. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2014 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    LOVE the sage idea!! As someone who has rented a home that was haunted, I wish I would have done that!  

    Backstory...So the house I rented used to belong to husband's mom who died in the home. I lived in that home for a  few years and experienced spirit activity (not seeing the ghost though). Saw things like, the door knob moving, lights coming on and off on their own...

    Then we rented the house out and the renters said the same thing! 

  • Middle River, MD · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    I would simply say to them that I've never dealt with this situation before and so I'm unsure of how to resolve this situation so I would ask her opinion on how she would like you to help and see if the resolution is viable and feasible.

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Is the ghost on the lease?  I would have a firm discussion with her that if she is going to have a ghost living in the property then she needs to add them to the lease....

  • Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 351 posts · 273 votes
    8y

    As silly as it may be, proceed with caution. You do not want the home to be known for being a haunted house. Some states require disclosure of deaths in a home and/or if a property is stigmatized for having ghosts. This can seriously affect the property's value, and failure to disclose could bring a lawsuit. As always, seek professional advice. Good luck with your new paranormal tenants! 

    Tenant Blames Ghosts for Breaking Lease

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    8y

    If she doesnt feel comfortable in the place, follow your lease with regard to her breaking it and moving out.

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    8y

    tell  her to get of the system and get a job. She will be so tired at the end of the day she will sleep right through any of it. 

  • Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    There are several ghost chaser shows on discovery or history or those channels.  Have her contact one of them and maybe they will come do a show in your property and you will become famous!!!

    As long as the tenants last name is not Lutz, I think you should be ok!!

  • Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ericka Parrott:

    Just tell your tenant the truth, which is that you have never dealt with a situation like this before.  ( Nor, has any other landlord that you personally know) Then, tell her that she and her daughter should research online.  

    And leave it at that. Don't say research how to get rid of the ghost or how to speak with spirits.  People see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe.  What a strange thing for anyone to say, I wonder what she wants you to do about the situation?  Of course as others have mentioned, I'm thinking she just wants to break the lease. 

    Well...she has not indicated that she wishes to break the lease (yet), just that she will not be renewing the lease at the end of term primarily because she is getting married. Which is fine, 3 months left and leaving the potential to ask for a bit higher rent with the next tenant as market rents have been creeping up. Not much make-ready to be done (hopefully) as the house was extensively remodeled prior to her tenancy.

  • Peoria, AZ · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Write to the Travel Channel, get on Ghost Adventures, your house will become famous, raise the rent due to people wanting to live in a haunted house they saw on TV. 

  • Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Yang:

    Has anyone besides her seen the ghost? Maybe turn the place into a tourist attraction and profit off of it.

    One of my employees husband owns a 'real ghost house' that he charges ghosthunters to spend the night or nights there. Apparently he's booked most weekends with people and their ghost cameras and ghost-o-graphs. And no, I don't want anything like that at this house, haha.

  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @John Park Definitely sounds like an excuse if the property is like you say and there's no history to explain it. Good post to think about though as some people might go for this and hire services to remove the ghost when they don't have to. I wouldn't think there are any laws that require a landlord to handle removal of ghosts but there could be somewhere you never know they might hold you liable for their insanity if you don't do anything to remove the ghost so be careful.

  • Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 351 posts · 273 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

    You can play it one of two ways......

    If she is a good tenant, tell her you need to add the ghost as a new tenant on the lease and you will need to now raise her rent.

    If she’s been a bad tenant then start the eviction process because she has told you after the fact that she has had someone move in and this wasn’t part of the original lease agreement 

     What if they claim the ghosts are Emotional Support Spirts?

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 108 votes
    8y

    Here in Hawaii that's serious business. It's one of those things that has to be disclosed. But in your case if it's a lasting problem, maybe a priest can do a blessing of the property. That usually works...had to do that a few times.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    When I make a homerun deal I have been known to go crazy with excitement and run butt naked up and down the block making very unusual inhuman sounds. If this happened at night , all you can see are my eyeballs and teeth floating in mid air. Please apologize to the tenant for me. 

    I won't do it again!

  • Scott SmithPro Member
    Attorney · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 932 votes
    8y

    Okay here’s my legal perspective: Fortunately, you cannot be held legally liable for actions of ghosts (or any other imaginary creatures) on your property. Based just on the facts you have stated here and common sense, you don’t have any legal obligations to reign in spirits.

    But of course, you might be the kind of landlord who wants to go above and beyond to ensure your tenant’s comfort and perception of safety. Bravo, you may be a nicer guy than I, @John Park! So here’s my perspective as a fellow real estate investor who finds the very idea of ghosts laughable. But like you, I care about my tenants having a good quality of life and relationship with me. Even if I find their beliefs crazy as all hell...

    Do you know if this fear of ghosts is based in a religion? If not, most folk superstitions agree that a good old fashioned sage burning is useful for cleansing a home of unwanted spirits. It is also used in white magic spells of protection. Sage is cheap, and as a bonus, makes the house smell nice too!

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Wait ... why would you laugh? How do you know it's not a real ghost?

    Seriously, just don't feed the beast. Just say "that's interesting", as was suggested earlier, a number of times already.

    By the way, hi folks, I'm new here on this forum and this is my first contribution. The spirits made me do it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.