Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes
I'm a new landlord and not quite sure what to do in this situation, so any advice is greatly appreciated. My tenant asked me today if I would replace the oven (gas stovetop) because it has a lot of tiny grease stains all over. It's overall a little worn out and has stains here and there but it's still perfectly functional. Aside from being nitpicky with this type of thing, she's a very solid, clean tenant. What would you all do here? I'd hate to replace an appliance that works just fine but I'm not sure if it'll be possible to get all the grease stains off. The oven is 9-10 years old by the way.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y
I would consider getting a nicer clean used stove to appease a clean freak. A tenant that is a clean freak is a rare animal. You can always use this stove in another rental or sell it.
Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y
Personally, I would not get rid of a perfectly functioning appliance because it had some spots on it. Have you tried cleaning it (or having it cleaned)? I have some great cleaners that I use for my properties every time I turnover a property and I'm always amazed at what they're able to do. They make appliances (and everything else) look like new. Here's an example (before and after photos from an oven in one of my properties):
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y
I would consider getting a nicer clean used stove to appease a clean freak. A tenant that is a clean freak is a rare animal. You can always use this stove in another rental or sell it.
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
I had a REALLY old stove in my first rental. It came with the house. I didn't mind it. When I rented it out, the tenant asked about it and I told them I'd replace it with a new one. They signed the lease then moved in. Two months later they asked about the stove.
I had a new stove delivered for $400 or so from what I recall. I had only verbally told them I'd replace it but I kept my word. A stove is not that expensive. If it is old I'd replace it. Mine was still functioning but looked like crap. I didn't mind it but tenants did. It will make the place easier to rent out in the future.
Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
8y
@Account Closed also has a fantastic suggestion. I will that on the contrary, a clean freak is actually an asset: you know that he/she will take care of your property. You dont want to have dirty tenants, you will regret renting to them.. :(
Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes
8y
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try cleaning it with the most heavy duty methods I can find and if she's not satisfied I'll pony up for a new one. She's a seemingly great tenant and I don't want to miss out on potentially keeping her for years.
Flipper/Rehabber · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 16 votes
8y
@Sam T. Don’t start giving into everything they want . I made that mistake because I took pride in my apartments. I learned if they are not considering mY pockets then why should you consder theirs. Tell them you purchased the building with the appliances and you Apologize if it does not meet their standards. Let’s split the cost since the old one work. Once you start that you’ll see your tenants choose wIsely when spendIng theIr money.
romance , AR · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 10 votes
8y
with new appliances you could negotiate increased rent or longer lease. functionality verses new appliances , explaining the cost of new appliances and you are accommodating they should also. try some goo gone seems to cut grease well.
Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 17 votes
8y
@Dennis M. I am replacing coil tops with glass tops in my unit and they are C minus to D but my rents are also increasing by 50-75 per month after renovation. Just my experiance though.
Specialist · MI · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 7 votes
8y
I'm with most others here. You have a tenant that you state is a clean freak and didn't bring cockroaches with her. I'd oblige her and replace the oven. Not asking too much for a clean freak that pays on time. Or she could move and you could rent to those missing cockroaches. BUT I would do a stringent internet search to find a scratch and dent (dents or scratches are normally on the sides where they can't be seen) or discontinued stoves. You can find a $900 stove for $350 bucks, I've done it many times. I have a built in oven / microwave combo, dumbest thing I've ever seen. $3,000 to $5,000 new. I found a discontinued (new old stock) for $1,100 that was originally $3,800. A nice stove you can find cheap if you look and it would solve all problems.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I do a 30 month ROI for any requested improvements for good tenants. So if a new stove costs $500. The answer is sure, the rent increase will be $17/month. I'd store it or sell the old stove on craigslist. Most grease stains come off with a magic eraser or for tough cases a night soaking in easy-off. Are you sure it's not a chips in the finish?
Rental Property Investor · York, PA · Member since 2017 · 377 posts · 315 votes
8y
@Account Closed - the real question is: What does your Lease say? The following is in my lease, and I've never had a tenant argue against it. If the appliance is functioning, then I wouldn't spend the money to replace it.
"Tenant acknowledges appliances and furnishings are for the convenience of the Tenant only, and not a condition of the Lease Agreement. In the event that said appliance or furnishing shall become inoperable or unusable, Landlords liability shall be limited solely to the removal of said appliance or furnishing and NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REPLACEMENT."
Specialist · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 71 votes
8y
If you have only had her as a tenant for a few months, that means she was aware of the stove and how it looked when she signed the lease. I say, like some have mentioned, ask her to split the cost. If she chooses not to, then the dirty stove isnt that big of a deal to her then.
Real Estate Consultant · Milwaukee - WI · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 73 votes
8y
My first landlord would have laughed in my face to replace something like that. But end of the day I don’t know many landlords that would replace an appliance for bunch of college guys.
But clean freak tenants are definently hard to come by. First idea would be to hire someone who hasn’t experience with some deeeeep cleaning and see how it goes from there.
Rental Property Investor · Alton, IL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 22 votes
8y
I'd search or a upgrade but not new. there are plenty of options out there on sale sites. as has been stated... you can find a "like-new" appliance that was prob in someone's home for a few years and they took care of it but wanted the latest oven so they sell to you... I wouldn't buy new
Investor · Pacific City, OR · Member since 2016 · 175 posts · 123 votes
8y
If it wasn't working, I'd replace it in a second.
In this case, I would let her know you'll start pricing out replacement stoves and see what you find. Let her live with the stove for a couple of months while you monitor if she's a good tenant or not (pays the rent on time, no other complaints).
How is she a "solid" tenant? How long has she been renting from you?
Realtor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 19 votes
8y
I would try cleaning it if you haven't already. If you're cleaning it and it's not getting better maybe shop around. My husband and I got a gas oven at a scratch and dent clearance sale for around $100. You can always use the oven for another unit or sell it.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
8y
And the slumlords on BP show their true colors. Yes, I am talking about those of you that say, don't replace it and don't clean it.
It is totally reasonable for a tenant to expect an appliance to be clean. Grease stains can 100% be removed from porcelain enamel on a stove. I have done it many times, but it requires a degreasing cleaner and some cleaning time. That means either the landlord does it or hire the cleaning.
The problem is too many cheap landlords who don't want to spend a penny to keep their properties clean. When they actually get a tenant who cares, they treat them like crap. This is how a C property turns into a D property.
If it is too hard to clean and if the appliance is old, it may make sense to buy new. I am changing all my properties to use flat top electric stoves that are self cleaning. It cost a little more, but tenants love the upgrade.
Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
if its mid range to high end property, I would definitely consider replacing it, if you are unable to clean it. Black Friday is coming and I'm sure you could get a reasonable new stove for a good price.