Tenant wants oven replaced, it's not broken

Tenant wants oven replaced, it's not broken

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes

I'm a new landlord and not quite sure what to do in this situation, so any advice is greatly appreciated. My tenant asked me today if I would replace the oven (gas stovetop) because it has a lot of tiny grease stains all over. It's overall a little worn out and has stains here and there but it's still perfectly functional. Aside from being nitpicky with this type of thing, she's a very solid, clean tenant. What would you all do here? I'd hate to replace an appliance that works just fine but I'm not sure if it'll be possible to get all the grease stains off. The oven is 9-10 years old by the way.

3Reply
593 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y

I would consider getting a nicer clean used stove to appease a clean freak. A tenant that is a clean freak is a rare animal. You can always use this stove in another rental or sell it.

See this reply in the discussion

82 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brittney R.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Tenant can move somewhere that has a different oven... If it ain't broke don't fix it... Next they'll want you to remodel the whole house... Don't open that can of worms...

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 729 posts · 596 votes
    8y
    @Sam T. all my leases state the tenant is moving in "as is". this means the stove had stains when they moved in so it was as is. that being said, I may consider getting a new one if the tenant was excellent. but, not if they just moved in. maybe in a year If they resign
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
    8y

    Go to the Depot, get some greased lightening and spend an hour cleaning it with your client, talking about life and getting to know your client paying down your debt. Best hour you will spend that day. Don't spend money on new appliances for cosmetic reasons. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 432 votes
    8y
    @Sam T. If it's a new tenant hell no. If a good long term tenant you better
  • Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    First, just to be clear, that the tenant wants a new stove is not a clear indication she is a neat freak, sometimes slobs are also entitled PITA's. I wouldn't let that possibly incorrect assumption guide a decision.

    I would consider getting a new stove if the old one was super beaten up, if it didn't work, or it was old enough that it was outdated with regard to energy efficiency. If it functioned as it should, and looked ok but used as often is the case in rentals, then no.

    I am of the opinion that if your new tenant is such a diva that she would complain about a slight physical imperfection you should probably brace yourself because the unreasonable requests are going to be coming hard and fast.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed,

    You stated you are a new landlord, so it's a rookie mistake--you didn't clean it.   Clean it--easy as that.   If you can't do it, hire someone to clean it... all appliances should be cleaned before someone else moves in.   A lot of people who get a C/D property think all people are slobs, but everyone just wants the same thing-- a nice, clean place to live-- including clean appliances. 

    If she wants an upgraded stove,   offer to get her a new one with a rent increase as the stove is functioning, and she rented the apartment seeing the original stove.   I would NOT just give her a new one because it's dirty, it sets the precedence, and sooner or later she'll ask for the fridge to be replaced, etc.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 175 votes
    8y
    @Sam T. I'm not sure you should replace it. They rented the unit as it was when they signed the lease. Which means one of two things; either they saw the condition of the appliance and agreed to it (by signing the lease) or during their rental period they added some stains to it. In my opinion, both are not your problem. I've had to learn (the hard way) to draw and maintain very strict lines. Because when I don't people will walk all over me. What starts with "could you please change me lights bulb", turns into "my light bulbs need to be changed".
  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kyle J.:

    Personally, I would not get rid of a perfectly functioning appliance because it had some spots on it.  Have you tried cleaning it (or having it cleaned)?  I have some great cleaners that I use for my properties every time I turnover a property and I'm always amazed at what they're able to do.  They make appliances (and everything else) look like new.  Here's an example (before and after photos from an oven in one of my properties):

    OMG, do you know or does anyone else know how to make the oven look like this? Asking for a friend, definitely NOT asking for my own disgusting oven.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 94 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kyle J.:

    Personally, I would not get rid of a perfectly functioning appliance because it had some spots on it.  Have you tried cleaning it (or having it cleaned)?  I have some great cleaners that I use for my properties every time I turnover a property and I'm always amazed at what they're able to do.  They make appliances (and everything else) look like new.  Here's an example (before and after photos from an oven in one of my properties):

     What did you use?

  • Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    This is somewhat easy... say you will replace the oven, if the tenant agrees to a $50 (or something like that) rent hike. whatever you spend on the oven will pay itself in a few months, and the rent went up with the consent of the tenant... Keep and clean the old oven for other less-maintenance tenants. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Allentown, PA · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 86 votes
    8y

    Perhaps you want to make a deal with the tenant something like, after their 1 year lease is up, if they sign another year lease you will replace the stove at that point.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Like others have said if it ain't broke don't replace it. Dirty is superficial. Buy one of those hand held steam cleaners and you will be able to clean grease off old stoves all day long. Landlords that want to make money do not replace things because they get dirty they roll up their sleeves and get cleaning. A 9 year old stove is practically new.

    The mentality of jumping to replace items is how most of society ends up living pay check to pay check. We are operating a business. If you want to be successful you do not throw money at every tennats whim.

    I have a 35 year old stove in my personal home that I have repaired multiple times and works like a charm. Keeping it clean with some Old Dutch and a scouring pad.... work wonders.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Is it just the top that is stained?  If so, and you are unable to clean it off, how about just replacing the top?  Not sure how easy it would be to source a top of that age, but it could be more cost effective than replacing the whole thing.  We have a oven/stove which was new and got a chip in the top by a contractor, and they just replaced the top.

  • Mason, MI · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    I would replace the stove. Good tenants are hard to come by. You can use it in another rental at a later date for one that does fail. I usually go the extra distance for good tenants.
  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    8y

    If it's not in the budget then explain to her how businesses work and that it wasn't part of her lease to replace the oven on a whim because she doesn't like grease stains. Provide some cleaning advice and drive on. 

    If it's going to get replaced anyway though, you think this tenant won't destroy it, and it's in the budget, why not?

  • Developer · CA · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock - My heart was sinking until I came to your reply. Honestly, as a 30 year renter (California, Georgia, and Michigan) and now new investor - I have never had a landlord as callous as I've seen here. 

    @Account Closed - Please do as your upbringing, pockets, and values guide.

    gena

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Gena Morris:

    @Joe Splitrock - My heart was sinking until I came to your reply. Honestly, as a 30 year renter (California, Georgia, and Michigan) and now new investor - I have never had a landlord as callous as I've seen here. 

    @Account Closed - Please do as your upbringing, pockets, and values guide.

    gena

    Thanks Gena, I get sick of some landlords always blaming everything on tenants. There is obviously lots of bad landlords out there too. I think the difference is responses from some "mom and pop" landlords. Any large rental company uses cleaning companies, so a stove would never be dirty to begin with. Add to that what I call "keyboard courage". People hide behind their computers acting all tough. When faced with a real person complaining about a dirty stove, they will act totally different. 

  • Property Manager · Henderson, NV · Member since 2018 · 501 posts · 317 votes
    8y

    If the issue with the stove was not indicated on the inventory and condition form, upon move in, then I would not replace the stove.  If you did not do an inventory and condition upon move in then I would first try and have the stove cleaned, and if that does not do the trick, have it replaced.  

  • Investor · Matamoras, PA · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    If the tenant always pays on time and doesnt call or txt you about nonsense issues I might say ok.

    If they constantly complain it's going to be this stove top and then next week it's going to be the closet door that doesnt close perfectly and then the bathroom toilet and then a new refrigerator etc.

    Grease lightning! I'll decide for you.

    Say no!

  • Lender · Newark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 695 posts · 252 votes
    8y

    It will depend on the area of my property. if it is in a higher end and my cash flow is good I will replace it for a cleaner one. you can use the stove for another property after you clean it. I think your best bet is to give it a good clean as that will make it a big difference. Listen learned for next time, always give appliances a good clean before tenants move in. Best of luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookhaven, MS · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 108 votes
    8y
    @Sam T. I wouldn't replace it. She just moved in and you might be opening a can of worms. She saw it when she moved in, the stove works.
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y

    I wonder how many of those that think having a "neat-freak" tenant is good have actually had a "neat-freak" tenant.  Personally I have had the neat-freak tenants and would rather have a slight slob.

    Neat freak tenants call for everything.  Gardener missed sweeping an area.  Other tenant's kids left their bikes out.  A ball hit their car.  They cannot clean their stove top and want a new one.  The refrigerator makes too much noise when cooling so get me a new refrigerator.  The bathroom fan is too loud and needs replacing.   The oranges that fell off the tree last week have not been picked up (gardener is ~2 weeks).  Can you make a cover for the door bell chime?  The closet door is off its track.  Other tenant has too many guests over so there are too many cars.

    This was our most neat freak tenant we have had.  We let them out of their lease early.  The stove top was killed due to extreme scrubbing (we took the cost out of their deposit).  This particular tenant also seemed to be bi-polar.  She would be all pissy about it when she would call but when you were there to address the issue she acted like she had been perfectly cordial.

    The name neat-freak implies an excessive behavior.  It is not just neat.  If they are requesting a new oven for some grease stains, your tenant may be a neat-freak.  The oven really just needs to be cleaned.  9 years is not an old oven; it is likely mid-life.  I would get my cleaners to clean the oven ($50 minimum charge (2 hours) for my cleaners so I would have them do some other cleanup (maybe clean the windows) at the same time).

    Good luck with this tenant.

  • Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 997 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed  compromise and reach a middle ground.  She wants a new stove, OK, she pays half, you pay half.  Then, you sell the old one for at least half the cost of the new.  Now she has a new oven, you have a happy tenant, and it cost you nothing after all is said and done.  She's got some skin in the game and will probably take decent care of it.  Perhaps when the lease is over you have the option of buying her "share" of the oven if that's needed to close the deal.  

    I think when landlords compromise like this they keep good tenants longer.  After all, in most case the cost of a bad tenant is much more than a month's rent.  

    Heck, you might even be able to make a small profit if the current over is in really good shape! 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 64 votes
    8y

    Some cleaning solutions can really work wonder, suggest you clean it first before buying a new one. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @Linda S. I agree with Linda S comment. The stove should have been cleaned before the Tennant moved in. They are expected to leave the place in a clean condition and they should expect it to be clean when they move in. If the stains can't be removed that's a different story. I would not suggest the Tennant pay half for a new one. When they leave they may feel it is as much theirs as it is yours. It's not worth the potential hastle.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.