Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes
I'm a new landlord and not quite sure what to do in this situation, so any advice is greatly appreciated. My tenant asked me today if I would replace the oven (gas stovetop) because it has a lot of tiny grease stains all over. It's overall a little worn out and has stains here and there but it's still perfectly functional. Aside from being nitpicky with this type of thing, she's a very solid, clean tenant. What would you all do here? I'd hate to replace an appliance that works just fine but I'm not sure if it'll be possible to get all the grease stains off. The oven is 9-10 years old by the way.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y
I would consider getting a nicer clean used stove to appease a clean freak. A tenant that is a clean freak is a rare animal. You can always use this stove in another rental or sell it.
Interested in buying property to rent out. I'm busy with work and not exactly good with fixing appliances, Electric, plumbing, etc. Where would you recommend hiring someone for these issues? Or would it be better not to hire someone for all of these this and just call places if needed to fix things?
Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
I'm a new landlord and not quite sure what to do in this situation, so any advice is greatly appreciated. My tenant asked me today if I would replace the oven (gas stovetop) because it has a lot of tiny grease stains all over. It's overall a little worn out and has stains here and there but it's still perfectly functional. Aside from being nitpicky with this type of thing, she's a very solid, clean tenant. What would you all do here? I'd hate to replace an appliance that works just fine but I'm not sure if it'll be possible to get all the grease stains off. The oven is 9-10 years old by the way.
I would not be able to answer the question without knowing a little background info
Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
8y
Lot's of great suggestions. I like if it can be cleaned... clean it. If it can't be cleaned... replace it but with one that is not new but looks good. $100 limit
I also like the lease caveat one suggested: "Tenant acknowledges appliances and furnishings are for the convenience of the Tenant only, and not a condition of the Lease Agreement. In the event that said appliance or furnishing shall become inoperable or unusable, Landlords liability shall be limited solely to the removal of said appliance or furnishing and NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REPLACEMENT."
What happens then if you replace with a scratch and dent even though it says you do not have to you are a hero. Everyone is happy since your unit will have a nicer stove.
Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
8y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Interested in buying property to rent out. I'm busy with work and not exactly good with fixing appliances, Electric, plumbing, etc. Where would you recommend hiring someone for these issues? Or would it be better not to hire someone for all of these this and just call places if needed to fix things?
Brittany, you need to start your own thread.
I would clean the oven, as others have said, it should have been clean when she moved in.
I have a long-term but pain-in-the-*** tenant who wanted a new dishwasher simply because the old was too loud and interfering with his TV watching. H brought over some soundproofing but he insisted he had already picked out the one he wanted, of course cost twice as much as we would spend. H said "Buy it yourself, I'll put it in, you can take it out and keep it when you leave".
Took this guy all of 30 seconds to decide H could install the soundproofing and maybe he could go with my original idea....run the dw after you go to bed once you're through watching TV.....
Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 51 votes
8y
Ovens a relatively cheap and to appease a good tenant I would purchase a new stove, you can recoup some of your expense by selling the used oven on Marketplace or just save it for a rainy day.
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Account Closed Just be careful about saying "yes" too much to a tenant. Usually, the requests start out small. But can keep going as long as their tenants. Most times, it's best to stick to the contract. If you decide to replace the stove, many apartments charge a monthly fee for new appliances to cover costs and maintenance. Good luck!
I would go over there with a pot. Fill it with water and turn all the burners on, place the pot on the whichever burner you want. Wait for the water to boil, switch the burners and repeat until all the burners have been tested. I would then turn to the tenant and ask them if they saw the water boiling on all the burners. They will obviously say yes unless there is an issue. I would then ask them what more could they ask for aside from a fully functional stove.
Some times dramatization is needed to bring a point home. Best of luck!
Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 127 votes
8y
Hey Sam. Congrats on getting into the landlord game! Hopefully (depending on your state laws) you are able to have in your lease taking the property "as-is". If you don't have that in there, maybe look into adding it. Overall, you should be providing a wonderful home for tenants to live in a clean, working condition.
Short answer, if the stove is working and safe, I would not start the domino effect of replacing this stove. Next it will be replacing the faucets, then flooring, painting etc etc.
Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 23 votes
8y
@Sam T.
I’d be careful catering on replacement of functional things. If you do be sure to make her aware that this is an exception and not normal. OthwrwIse I‘d Try cleaning wIth some heavy duty cleaner and see how that goes. Aside from that if you have storage put it away for a rainy day or another unit and buy a clean used one.
At some point the tenant accepted the condition of the property and everything in it. Allowing them to nit pick could start an unwanted trend at your expense.
Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 15 votes
8y
If she’s a good tenant replace the stove. A new decent unit will cost around $600 and you will get $100 for the use one. Then raise her rent $50 a month next year. Win win.
Rental Property Investor · North Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 93 posts · 10 votes
8y
@Sam T.
I would replace it. Sounds like the stove has been through a lot of cooking lol and It could go out soon.
Check out offer up or Craigslist can find good used stoves on both sites might even find someone that delivers and install for a small fee.
Then you could sell the old one after a good cleaning and make some of your money back.
Just my opinion
Personally, I would not get rid of a perfectly functioning appliance because it had some spots on it. Have you tried cleaning it (or having it cleaned)? I have some great cleaners that I use for my properties every time I turnover a property and I'm always amazed at what they're able to do. They make appliances (and everything else) look like new. Here's an example (before and after photos from an oven in one of my properties):
Real Estate Agent · Atlanta · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 69 votes
8y
Thanks everyone for the input. I decided I'm not replacing it (at least not for now) as to not start down that obviously slippery slope, but I am going to try every possible cleaning method to get it looking as close to new as I can. After getting a few good cleaning tips I'm somewhat confident I can get at least a large majority of the hard grease stains off and hopefully she'll be happy. For reference, the unit is in metro Atlanta and rents for $1550. Worst case scenario I'll buy a basic new one in a few months for $300-400 if it still stresses her out and just raise rent $40 next year (which would just be keeping up with inflation anyway) to make it back.
Specialist · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 130 posts · 100 votes
8y
@Sam T. Everyone has some great suggestions for ya. Definitely cleaning it with the proper cleaning solution with some elbow grease should do the trick.
Just as a quick tip, please dont replace a gas stove with a used gas stove. Yes, you can save some money but you are taking the risk the new used GAS range you're buying doesnt have a GAS leak anywhere in it. Secondly, I see this countless times (I fix appliances as my w-2) when landlords wanna be cheap, buy a used appliance, then call me out ($100) to figure what's wrong then come to find out they were better off just buying a cheap model.
If buying a new appliance scratch and dent outlets store are where to go. Dont get USED. Budget a new one in your numbers and you're set. 😎
Real Estate Agent · Phila, PA · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 100 votes
8y
Tenant perspective: When I moved in to my last rental, I noticed 2 issues right away: 1 - the freezer was not working (I would fill ice trays at night and they'd still be liquid in the morning); and 2 - there were some cracked/loose tiles on the bathroom floor. I told my new landlord about both issues. He immediately replaced the refrigerator (no cost to me), and said he would look for some tile replacements for the bathroom, but ultimately never got around to that one. The freezer was unusable before he replaced it, but a few loose tiles in the bathroom doesn't make it unusable to me. I would assume this was his justification for fixing one over the other. I wish he would've fixed the tiles, but it wasn't such a big deal that I felt I wanted to move out or anything like that. I don't know if this helps, but just food for thought maybe.
Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
I will not hesitate once to make the tenants happy. Many demand certain color, wanting new style kitchen and newer bath. The other choice is they will not stay long. Many apartments are offering first month rent for free.
As landlord you do what it takes to retain them. In SFO as housing cools off slightly, the tenant demand a rent reduction is often met.
Rental Property Investor · Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 54 votes
8y
Have someone come in and give it a deep clean. Your tenant will appreciate it and it will cost you a fraction of what a new appliance will cost. Win-Win
Real Estate Broker · Portland, ME · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 55 votes
8y
Some great suggestions here. Two things come to mind:
1. You could replace the oven and donate the old one to Habitat for Humanity. Small tax write-off. Or, sell it on craigslist.
2. I lean toward replacement. If you don't, she may check out emotionally and be less inclined to her clean freakishness. Give her some reasons to stay cleanish. It'll also be a competitive advantage when you get to turnover and advertise "new stove".
The difference between the money for a new one and selling or writing off the old is nominal.
Investor · Crystal, MN · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 277 votes
8y
This is going to be fun!
First, @Account Closed
Don't project your experiences on all people. Landlords are not rich barron's, smoking stogies, and driving cadillacs. This business is hard work...every dollar counts.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
So...new tenant.... moved in and inspected the property...signed lease "as is condition" and now wants a new stove because this one is dirty?
NOPE...... clean it as best as absolutely possible..... this is a cosmetic issue, not a functional one.
After a couple of months you still have very little knowledge about how good a tenant will be...ZERO.
You will set the precedent of " I don't like this....replace or fix it"....... have fun with that..... this is a test....
Even if you know its old and will need to be replaced soon anyway, I would typically stall to replace it if its purely cosmetic. I let them know its in the plans for long term expenses but its not happening at this time...but it will....but I decide on when....no them
When my tenants ask me to jump....I don't scream HOW HIGH SIR...... guess that make me a slumlord......
Real Estate Agent · Ivor, VA · Member since 2011 · 73 posts · 21 votes
8y
She should have complained about the stove before signing the lease. Your lease should say AS IS if its not broke don't fix it. At least not now wait 6 months if she really is a good tenant then consider it.