To bookkeep or not to bookkeep?

To bookkeep or not to bookkeep?

Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 26 votes

Hello fellow BP members! Looking for a little advice..

Little background: I am a financial analyst for a multifamily developer, so i understand real estate and all of the financials associated, but i am definitely not accountant. I currently own 7 rentals, with 2 more under contract; all are self-managed through Cozy.co.  

I am very quickly realizing that if I do not get a serious grip on this whole weekly/monthly bookkeeping thing, it could get out hand. I want to treat the properties as a business, like they should be treated(and generally do in all other areas), with weekly bookkeeping and monthly/yearly reports. 

My question is: Should I spend the time to learn an accounting software like Quicken, as well as the time imputing information weekly and keep the "books" myself? Or outsource this task to an actual bookkeeper and keep my energy focused on other aspects of the business? And also, should the bookkeeper be an online service or local firm?

My goal is to acquire another 10 units next year, and so on etc., etc. I don't plan on stopping the acquisition train anytime soon.

Any advice from investors who have faced this dilemma? What was your solution, and how did it pan-out?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice/insight!

1Reply
156 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
7y

@Sterling Fields I am at 31 units and still do the bookkeeping myself. I use General Ledger (www.getledgers.com) to manage my bookkeeping. A few notes. 

By doing the books myself I get to look at all my transactions and ask myself "why the heck am I spending so much on that." Helps to keep me in check. When someone else does the work you will likely just get the statement and think to yourself that the numbers sound about right and not to worry. 

General Ledger is probably the simplest tool possible that allows automated transaction download. I spend about 5min each week categorizing transactions into the different properties that I own. Keep up on it and then I send over the fully categorized transaction statement to my CPA at the end of the year for review and tax prep. Can do it periodically throughout the year as well if you choose to. 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Daniher While that sounds like a great plan, and yes it would probably be more economical, i would assume that i would need a decent amount of accounting knowledge to keep them in check? I would be lost in knowing if they were doing the work correctly or not; although come to think of it, it would be that way with anyone. I need to look into this deeper because i have ZERO experience with VAs. I do like the idea in theory though. Any suggestions for the best place to learn about utilizing VAs?

  • Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Dassi Lazar Yes I am in the same position! Using excel and my free landlord software to track everything is making me very uneasy. So you actually hired an employee(1099 I am guessing)? I haven't even thought of that. How is it working out? I assumed it would be an accounting firm or online source. 

  • Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Ben Day I have used the same community bank for all of my purchases. My main strategy is using BRRRR. He says there is not limit on the number of loans(but i know that is just not true!). That is a very good point about private money lenders wanting good reports; i assume i will be working with one at some point or another anyways.

    Thanks for the advice on what to look for! All great insights into bookkeepers/CPAs

    Lol definitely no hodgepodging here!

    Thanks again

  • Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 46 votes
    7y

    @Sterling Fields yes, I will give her a 1099 at the end of the year. It's working out amazingly! I went to my accountant and gave him all the figures and I love the fact that I know my numbers and are accounting for everything. I think this was a crucial step before expanding.

  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2017 · 136 posts · 79 votes
    7y
    @Sterling Fields I categorize them same categories on my tax return. My account uses. I hired a smart teller that works the drive thru at local bank he enters them on google sheets. I do a print out every year for my Cpa. Filtered by category. He loves the extra money I take them to him ever quarter.
  • Rental Property Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    There are a lot of variables but if you’re looking for generalities, I’d say your bookkeeping costs should be  about 1% of gross rent per year, depending on how many meetings you want and how often you want everything updated (weekly, monthly, quarterly). Worth every penny to know where you stand financially, know that it’s correct and have someone that you’re CPA can communicate with.  Preparing your tax return should be a breeze since your bookkeeper has done all the heavy lifting.

    Full disclosure, I own a remote bookkeeping firm. We charge a monthly fixed fee. Some charge by the hour (hard to know what it'll cost). Look for software proficiency, experience and REI knowledge. Beware the lady you know at church that does "bookkeeping" for $20/hour. We make a lot of money every year cleaning up their messes.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Short Hills, NJ · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Sterling Fields I didn't have any knowledge about VA's two weeks ago but just went ahead and hired someone on Upwork for a small task and am starting to get used to it. Www.Upwork.com

    Cheers!

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sterling Fields:
    Originally posted by @Joel Florek:

    @Sterling Fields I am at 31 units and still do the bookkeeping myself. I use General Ledger (www.getledgers.com) to manage my bookkeeping. A few notes. 

    By doing the books myself I get to look at all my transactions and ask myself "why the heck am I spending so much on that." Helps to keep me in check. When someone else does the work you will likely just get the statement and think to yourself that the numbers sound about right and not to worry. 

    General Ledger is probably the simplest tool possible that allows automated transaction download. I spend about 5min each week categorizing transactions into the different properties that I own. Keep up on it and then I send over the fully categorized transaction statement to my CPA at the end of the year for review and tax prep. Can do it periodically throughout the year as well if you choose to. 

    Thanks for your input Joel! Me being a multi-family financial analyst, i am a little anal about expenses. So i am not too worried about digging into the data each month and asking questions. Plus my thought is that i would be sending all of the information to the book-keeper anyways?

    I will definitely look into getledgers.com. However, i do have a few reservations about using an online software like that one. Correct me if i am wrong, but my feeling is that it won't be able to help me with certain calculations (i.e. depreciation if i have a basis increase, or interest expense if i have a refinance), or keep up with the balance sheet and cash flow statements. Is there somewhere i can track cash flow from non-operating activities? (i.e. cash-out refinance of a property, putting down-payment on a new property).

     In my case, I don't track all that stuff on the month to month. I mainly care about cash in vs. cash out in the day to day. I know that depreciation and interest vs. principle will all make the numbers better at the end of the year. Once I hit year end I make some adjustments with my CPA to wrap up tax time. The idea is take care of 95% of the work in real time myself to keep an eye on the ball and work with the expert at the end of the year to dial things in. 

    With that said, some want to have the books 100% squared away each month. Quickbooks or another full suite accounting solutions would be a better choice for that type of workflow. And depending on your day to day work schedule you may want that function hired out. For me, at 31 units and no "day job" I am fine spending 10 to 15min each week. 

  • Jason MalabuteBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 900 votes
    1y

    As an investor and accountant, you need to weigh whether the time you spend on bookkeeping could instead be used to grow your portfolio and build wealth. Ask yourself: do you want to play the role of a bookkeeper, or would you rather focus on being the CFO? Once you commit and adjust your mindset, the learning curve becomes manageable. If you outsource, make sure the person isn’t just plugging in data from bank statements but providing real value. Ultimately, it comes down to what your time is worth. And avoid Quicken—many people end up needing to switch their data over to QuickBooks later.

    Malabute & Company CPAs525 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.