• Rental Property Investor
  • DFW
Votes |
My Tenant is Out of her MIND!

Val J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • DFW
Posted Jan 4 2019, 16:01

I met with my tenant regarding how we would move forward this year in my property. She began her tenancy with at 10/2016. In 2017  at renewal time, I sent her a notice letting her know that she'd be on a month to month lease. The tenant has moved in her baby daddy and another person.  I met with her at a public location because I assumed , correctly, he is a very hostile individual. The meeting didn't go well. I recorded our conversation. My tenant told me that since she's on M2M she is not legally bound by a lease and can move in whomever she wants. .  She shows me information from the internet (which I already knew) regarding M2M leases. Which of course it stated that I had to give her 30 days. . Which is what I was doing today. Tenant also stated that I could not ask her to leave without having cause.  I explained to her that M2M leases are legally binding. And per her thinking if she can move anyone into the property so could I.  Baby daddy interjected, "So  "Baby, did  you sign anything stating you can't have your man live with you?" She had lots of stuff from the internet in a file folder. I asked her to show me proof that she can move anyone in and secondly, show me proof a landlord who has a tenant on an M2M has to show cause.  

I checked my account prior to meeting with her and she hasn't paid rent.

Baby daddy started getting hostile and I gathered my things.  He started cussing and yelling " she can't do ****!"  Let's stay there for 3 months. I get mail there. She can't put us out we can stay for 3 months!.

Okay fellow BPer's,  I know some of you have experienced this or worse. I'm thinking that I will call a landlord/tenant attorney Monday morning. Any recommendations?

Btw. prior to our meeting I had sent a notice to vacate via USPS and asked for a signature return receipt.   Help!

Loading replies...