Placing laminate flooring in rentals

Placing laminate flooring in rentals

gainesville, FL · Member since 2011 · 22 posts · 0 votes

I have been told that laminate flooring is the way to go when it comes to flooring a rental because it is long lasting and durable. Is there anyone with experience that can verify this?

If this is true, is there a particular type (brand or style) that you have had good results with?

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

SFR Investor · Spring , TX · Member since 2011 · 14 posts · 5 votes
15y

I put laminate in one of my rentals and the only problem I see is when tenants move in or out the refrigerator they tear holes in it. Now that I've got a little bit more money I install tile.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I used to be high on laminates for rentals but have cooled off some. You know the positives, the drawbacks are you can't get them wet (or let them stay wet), you can get separation in the seams, and they can be fairly expensive, at least for the ones that look like real wood.

    I just tried vinyl plank flooring. Looks good, installed easily, but time will be the test.

  • SFR Investor · Spring , TX · Member since 2011 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    I put laminate in one of my rentals and the only problem I see is when tenants move in or out the refrigerator they tear holes in it. Now that I've got a little bit more money I install tile.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hudson, NH · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 25 votes
    15y

    I also use Vinyl Plank flooring in my units and highly recommend it

  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    15y

    I've had good luck with vinyl planks. Except for a few very minor dents, it looked good as new when we sold the house 4 years later. Even survived a little flood when the refrigerator's water dispensing system bit the dust.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    I wouldnt use a wood product...

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Tile all the way!!! Maybe have to rent an occasional grout steamer but tile lasts much longer.

  • Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2009 · 405 posts · 160 votes
    15y

    I put laminate in a home we owned once, didn't like it - too shiny, too slick, and was noisy (clicky) when you walked on it.

    Installed vinyl planking in a rental a few months ago.
    Time will tell how it holds up, but it looks great and the new tenant loves it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2008 · 407 posts · 90 votes
    15y

    I'd go with a more durable product than laminate. Even in the places in the past where I rented, the laminate did not last and I was a good tenant :) I've found tile to work best.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
    15y

    It depends on your exit strategy.

    Long = Higher quality.

    Short=cheaper (vinyl for instance).

    Bottom line: What is going to look best when you sell!?!

  • Real Estate Investor · Palmer, AK · Member since 2008 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    I was curious about this myself. One unit in a recently acquired 4 plex needed the carpet in the living area replaced, so I'm giving laminate a trial run to see how it does. It looks much better....we'll see how long it lasts!

  • Electrical Contractor · both, Maine & Florida · Member since 2011 · 129 posts · 53 votes
    15y

    I've been using .68 /sq ft laminate from Home Depot in some rooms (dry, no entrance from snow) We (my wife and I) can do a room in a 4-5 hours. if it has to be replaced it won't be as often as carpet in my opinion.

  • gainesville, FL · Member since 2011 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Anyone have laminate that has stood the test of time with renters?

  • Real Estate Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    I have asked similar question and I was told Tile is the best way to use in the Rental. I agree now it is good option: Long lasting, works ok with Pets and low maintenance.
    I am still trying to collect good leads on how to find installer,

    Nagesh

  • Wholesaler · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2011 · 25 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    I agree. with Jon,Mark.

    We get what we pay for nowadays. Now for tile, that's were you will get a better bang for the buck. But if tile cracks could be trouble.

    I think it would depend on each property.

    Good luck Michael...

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Michael Mcguniess:
    Anyone have laminate that has stood the test of time with renters?

    I put it in 10 homes in 2009. It is faring OK to good, but not great. I haven't had to replace any of it yet, but a couple installs are borderline. I mostly used 8mm that cost .99. With carpet I would have had to replace a few rooms/homes.

  • Real Estate Investor · Elmira, NY · Member since 2011 · 51 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Kitchen and Baths I use TILE ALL the WAY.

    It last longer and it is not that hard for the DIYer.

  • Ronald PerichPro Member
    Investor · Granite City, IL · Member since 2014 · 658 posts · 301 votes
    10y

    @Kevin C., @Brian Morgan, @Carlos Flores

    I was curious how the vinyl planks were holding up for you? It looks like a much better alternative to laminate and is about the same cost when on sale and you factor in the installation methods. I was looking at the floating floor variety. I can get a good quality product (5.5mm thick) at $1.99 sq/ft. Waterproof, natural look, quiet.

    Interested in your thoughts?

  • Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2009 · 405 posts · 160 votes
    10y

    @Ronald Perich Vinyl that was installed in our rental back in 2011 still looks like new.

    The only downside I've seen is that there are small gaps at the end of each plank.  The gaps are not really noticeable unless you are looking for them, but I know it, so I see it.  All Vinyl I've used has been the glue down type.

    I have it two rentals now, put it in a second one a few years back, and shortly after had the water heater leak and flood the house (water heater in garage in back, water was coming out the front door and into the street by the time the leak was discovered), lost some carpet (still had carpet in bedrooms), but the vinyl was unaffected.

    I have tile in kitchens and bathrooms, Vinyl in family rooms, formals, hallways etc.  Still have carpet in bedrooms but when it's time to change, will probably go vinyl there.

    Both these homes rent in the $1800 range.   If I ever felt the need to go higher end with flooring I'd probably go with engineered wood.  

  • Ronald PerichPro Member
    Investor · Granite City, IL · Member since 2014 · 658 posts · 301 votes
    10y

    @Kevin C.Thanks so much for the response! I'm picking some up today!

  • Interior Decorator · Canton, MI · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 100 votes
    10y

    Strictly based on my experience, go with luxury vinyl flooring. Laminate tends to be too noist when installed on a second floor for the renters below. Vinyl will take more abuse. The groutable LVT such as Alterna, Duraceramic or any 3 or 4 mm limestone composite will give you a long life. The premixed acrylic grouts that MUST be used with them are self sealing in 24 hours and very stain resistant. Since these tiles are closer in construction to a rectified tile in squareness you can go with a very tight grout joint. Just remember that you use the LEAST amount of water possible to clean the grout from the install, NOT a lot like regular ceramic or the grout make crack on you(easily fixed. just smoosh some grout into the crack and let it dry. Then give an hour before you clean it). Try to finsh LVT/LVP that have a decent finsh on them either AO or Cermaic bead.

  • Marysville, WA · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Mcguniess:

    I have been told that laminate flooring is the way to go when it comes to flooring a rental because it is long lasting and durable. Is there anyone with experience that can verify this?

    If this is true, is there a particular type (brand or style) that you have had good results with?

    It's like everything you get what you pay for. There are some laminates the are real good (Armstrong) but are costly, and some that are cheap. It all depends where you live too. in Florida tile is great, in Washington not so good (cold floors) unless you have heated floors. Bottom like you have to see how long you're going to keep the property, if you're going to flip it in a year for homeowner occupied then go with a better product (more value), if its going to be a rental long term go with a durable one.

  • Ronald PerichPro Member
    Investor · Granite City, IL · Member since 2014 · 658 posts · 301 votes
    10y

    @Orlando Roche, you are correct about penny wise but pound foolish. Just found out that the precious owner did put a new AC unit in about 7 years back but didn't change the inside coil. It's out and needs replacement. You can at least double the cost than if it was just all done at once.

    Cheap isn't always cheaper in the long run.

    I'm buying a bunch of vinyl today. Great deal on it through this weekend. $1.99 sq/ft for 5.5mm floating, waterproof.

  • Marysville, WA · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Perich:

    @Orlando Roche, you are correct about penny wise but pound foolish. Just found out that the precious owner did put a new AC unit in about 7 years back but didn't change the inside coil. It's out and needs replacement. You can at least double the cost than if it was just all done at once.

    Cheap isn't always cheaper in the long run.

    I'm buying a bunch of vinyl today. Great deal on it through this weekend. $1.99 sq/ft for 5.5mm floating, waterproof.

    awesome, hopes it works out!

  • Forney, TX · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 101 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Perich:

    @Kevin C., @Brian Morgan, @Carlos Flores

    . I was looking at the floating floor variety. I can get a good quality product (5.5mm thick) at $1.99 sq/ft. Waterproof, natural look, quiet.

    Interested in your thoughts?

     Tile all the way!!!  I have installed tile in two units now for 8 years and its definitely the way to go.  Tile from Home Depot, Lowes was a little more expensive but you can get as much as you want, the tile from builders surplus shops was the cheapest but you are limited to what they have.  Those units that have tile usually rent faster than others maybe its just a coincidence.   

    The floating floor is very durable and looks great, but quiet is not one of its attributes. Floating snap lock floor is floating so it moves and temperature differences will make the noise more noticeable.  But hey you cant hear it from your house.. Right!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Union City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Im considering LVP for some rental units. Ive heard LVP is better than EVP because it's more durable. Also there's less of the clicking hollow sound to disturb other tenants. This is for low/medium end urban NJ market so its different from warmer places or places where laminate is unacceptable (Manhattan). Has anyone found the prices to be good at Lumber Liquidators? Wondering what grade to go with...4mm or 5mm ( or higher) for rental units. Thoughts? http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Clear-Lake-Chestnut-LVP-Tranquility-4CC/10029491

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.