Would you evict a 102 year old woman?

Would you evict a 102 year old woman?

Joe A.Business Member
Realtor · Waco, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 80 votes

https://www.foxnews.com/us/102-year-old-california-woman-evicted-so-landlords-daughter-can-move-in

This guy is evicting a 102 year old woman so his daughter can move in to the apartment. The woman had been living there for 30 years! I know what I’d do. What would you do?

16Reply
729 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

I think they're pretty generous giving her 90 days to move. 

I think the real crime here is that families no longer take care of their elderly. It's cool she's able to live on her own but that's going to change any day now. If I had a relative that age, I would be encouraging them to move in with me so we could keep an eye on them and help them. I certainly wouldn't leave them out on their own, paying rent and exposed to unscrupulous contractors or landlords or door-knockers or whatever.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

163 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Coach · Member since 2018 · 246 posts · 216 votes
    7y

    @Joe A.  Sure would

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford That article appears to be pushing an agenda. I can understand where the landlord is coming from. It would be tough to sit there looking at current market rent and then cashing this ladies check every month in the amount of whatever market rent was in 1990 lol. This landlord has a family he needs to provide for by running his business as profitable as possible. You have to leave emotions out of your business.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    I think they're pretty generous giving her 90 days to move. 

    I think the real crime here is that families no longer take care of their elderly. It's cool she's able to live on her own but that's going to change any day now. If I had a relative that age, I would be encouraging them to move in with me so we could keep an eye on them and help them. I certainly wouldn't leave them out on their own, paying rent and exposed to unscrupulous contractors or landlords or door-knockers or whatever.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Joe A.  what would you do?        I  would need to prioritize my family.  And it could be that east coast family is considering the 102 year old can't live alone anymore.  

    I have a relative who is 80 I have been trying to get out of a rental house she is in for 30 years to a more manageable  apartment for a while.  It isn't my rental, the landlord wants her to go, her family wants her to go, I want her to go but the inertia is killing us all.

    I am glad I am not in California because the fact is when you rent it isn't yours and some rent controls forget that.  As a landlord, it is yours when you need to fix things and when the bills come due but not when you decide you want to use it?

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt P.:

    @Joe Alford That article appears to be pushing an agenda. I can understand where the landlord is coming from. It would be tough to sit there looking at current market rent and then cashing this ladies check every month in the amount of whatever market rent was in 1990 lol. This landlord has a family he needs to provide for by running his business as profitable as possible. You have to leave emotions out of your business.

     If that was the case, the landlord would have had 360 opportunities to raise the rent! 

    The whole "leave the emotions out of it" argument is ridiculous with this one (if your assuming rents been paid for 30 years).

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    that's a tough one..  depends if she has help and a place to go.. if not I would suck it up.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    @Brian Ellis haha not sure I'm following you. Admittedly I'm not real familiar with how rent control works since we don't have it here. The leave the emotion out of it was for the OP not whoever this random CA landlord is in the article. The landlord in the article is leaving emotion out of it!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:
    Originally posted by @Matt P.:

    @Joe Alford That article appears to be pushing an agenda. I can understand where the landlord is coming from. It would be tough to sit there looking at current market rent and then cashing this ladies check every month in the amount of whatever market rent was in 1990 lol. This landlord has a family he needs to provide for by running his business as profitable as possible. You have to leave emotions out of your business.

     If that was the case, the landlord would have had 360 opportunities to raise the rent! 

    The whole "leave the emotions out of it" argument is ridiculous with this one (if your assuming rents been paid for 30 years).

     moving the elderly while I know it happens and has to happen can be a life threatening event.. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs Ha I would imagine living alone at 102 years old is a life threatening event itself.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt P.:

    @Jay Hinrichs Ha I would imagine living alone at 102 years old is a life threatening event itself.

     It very much depends on the individual, not their age. I know many people in their 80s and 90s who live on their own and are completely independent.  On the other hand, I know some people who are much younger than that that shouldn't be living on their own. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt P.:

    @Jay Hinrichs Ha I would imagine living alone at 102 years old is a life threatening event itself.

     I mean it more in the context of my earlier years selling real estate.. and selling homes that were lived in for decades as they got old and could not care for it anymore and moved out.. many times its leads to depression and will to live issues and they end up passing away .

    I just went through it with my mother last month.. end of life  and her number one wish was to remain in her apartment were she had all these friends and neighbors .. No way did she want to come live with us in either Portland or Vegas.. even though she likes the Vegas weather.. 

    And she was scared to death of going to  a full service hospice type environment.. so I had 24 hour care for her at 600 dollars a day.. you just do what you have to do for your parents.. the full service option even in Napa CA would have been 6 to 7k a month.. instead of 18k a month.  So just paying back some of what they gave me growing up..  And the ability to thrive in real estate which my dad and mom were critical in forming for me early on..  But I know its a personal choice  for sure.. and I would have preferred her to come live with us.. 

    I mean we see it all the time on BP how much rent should I charge my parents should I evict my parents  :)  

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt P. 

    I don't understand the comment "leaving emotion out of it", when you assumed the landlord has been paid for 30 years straight. If that's the case, then hes just heartless.. You don't have to be heartless to run a profitable business. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs I'm sorry for your loss man. It sounds like you did right by your folks when it mattered. We did the same thing for my grandma last year. All her and my grandpa wanted was for her to be in the house she had lived in for 60 years at the end... So we made it happen. It's a tough situation for sure.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt P.:

    @Jay Hinrichs I'm sorry for your loss man. It sounds like you did right by your folks when it mattered. We did the same thing for my grandma last year. All her and my grandpa wanted was for her to be in the house she had lived in for 60 years at the end... So we made it happen. It's a tough situation for sure.

     ya that was the point I was trying to make.. we cant understand or know how important not up rooting folks near the end.. It was her number one thing she wanted..  and believe me when she was being obstinate ( like not wearing her help I fell down button 24/7) all I had to do is say fine Mom I cant leave you here its too dangerous and since I live a days drive away.. your alternative to not wearing the button is to go to the senior care home.. well that solved that one straight away..  

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    @Brian Ellis Agree to disagree I guess. He was leaving no telling how much money on the table for years because he wasn't able to capture market rent. Idk about you but I'm in this business to make as much money as I can and there isn't anything wrong with that. I work to hard not to.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford

    Wait. Why is it called an “eviction”? She’s MTM. Is that not just terminating her lease? Is that called eviction in Cali?

    Now, this is tricky, because my #1 rule is I don’t rent to friends or family. So my child would not be moving into my property. But why should I accommodate a tenant over my own child? Why is the tenant, no matter their age, the responsibility of the landlord?

    If you raise the rent and your tenant says they cannot afford that, do you simply leave rent as is, because you’re “not heartless”?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford my daughter can find her own apartment, this woman has been paying rent for 30 years, I'll keep her....

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:

    @Joe Alford my daughter can find her own apartment, this woman has been paying rent for 30 years, I'll keep her....

     Exactly... If its a case of "market rent" she can find her own place somewhere else. Im not going to put a 102 year old out on the streets. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    @Colleen F., Not all of the cities in California have rent control.  Actually, MOST do not have rent control.  Most of the places that have rent control are the highest of the high expense locations.

    https://www.caltenantlaw.com/RCcities.htm

    I own a property in San Diego county.  The prices for rent are crazy.  The prices to buy are crazier.  Almost like everywhere else.  

    Cali is looking at expanding rent control to most of the big cities.

    At least I don't have to take the first applicant that shows up with a pulse like they do in Seattle.  ;-)  

    At least not yet.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick  You are correct.  That's not an eviction, even in Cali.  It's spin by the news cycle to show how bad landlords are to this 102 year old woman.  It's sensational!  102 year old EVICTED vs Landlord doesn't renew lease, tenant has to leave.    

    She should have had a long multi-year contract (or maybe it was expiring).  Since her area was not under rent control, the landlord was well within his rights.

    Due to the fact that it was MTM, I speculate the woman knew this was coming for quite some time.  In Cali you must give 60 days to terminate a MTM lease if the tenant was a multi-year tenant.  The landlord did it right.  At least in my opinion.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    I stopped reading after I saw that she has paid rent for 30 years!

    Nah, she can stay XD

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 151 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford Landlord wants the home free as he's giving it to his daughter who's now in law school, Ladera Heights is undergoing serious gentrification. A 102 year old woman!??! No money is worth that. I'd do whatever I could to keep her comfortable, these errors can visit me in my old age when I may be vulnerable and I would not want that seed planted. Just because it's yours, does not mean morality goes out of the window. Some property owners are actually nice people, like the man who owned the property Rosa Parks lived in. All money ain't good money. Greed is a blinder

    & no I would not. Those winds blow back in least expected ways. Don't open those doors of greed.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    It's a tough one!!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Lexington, KY · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    It's funny how we as landlords are not to discriminate based on age, yet the media is doing just that in how they spinned the story. At the end of the day the landlord is well within their right to end the lease agreement.

  • South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 376 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    @Joe Alford

    Evict. I don’t know why age matters. Her lease is up and she refuses to move...Evict.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.