Would you evict a 102 year old woman?

Would you evict a 102 year old woman?

Joe A.Business Member
Realtor · Waco, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 80 votes

https://www.foxnews.com/us/102-year-old-california-woman-evicted-so-landlords-daughter-can-move-in

This guy is evicting a 102 year old woman so his daughter can move in to the apartment. The woman had been living there for 30 years! I know what I’d do. What would you do?

16Reply
725 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

I think they're pretty generous giving her 90 days to move. 

I think the real crime here is that families no longer take care of their elderly. It's cool she's able to live on her own but that's going to change any day now. If I had a relative that age, I would be encouraging them to move in with me so we could keep an eye on them and help them. I certainly wouldn't leave them out on their own, paying rent and exposed to unscrupulous contractors or landlords or door-knockers or whatever.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

163 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 69 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    What's legal or "within the landlord's rights" does not always equate with what is "right" or "moral".  What is "right and moral" can be difficult to define but you know it when you see it.  And you know when something is immoral when you see it.  If she was paying and is 102, let's be honest: the landlord would not have had to wait too long before her tenancy was a non-issue.  

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2012 · 145 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    Wow

    This topic got pretty serious..

    But the lesson to be learned here is that you’d better handle business in life before you have to face the fact that you didn’t and now you’re at the mercy of a landlord at the beautiful age of 102!!

    GoD Bless

  • Rental Property Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Even the Terminator has something to say about this.

    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/schwarzenegger-defends-102-year-old-being-evicted

  • Joe A.Business Member
    OP
    Realtor · Waco, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 80 votes
    7y

    UPDATE

    https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-102-year-old-woman-eviction-help-schwarzenegger-20190525-story.html

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    7y

    @Joe A. IS she paying rent ? If not yes , this is a business not a charity . If the owner is not renewing her lease, well jeez give her sometime to find a place, heck even help her and help her move her things . 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Braut:

    What's legal or "within the landlord's rights" does not always equate with what is "right" or "moral".  What is "right and moral" can be difficult to define but you know it when you see it.  And you know when something is immoral when you see it.  If she was paying and is 102, let's be honest: the landlord would not have had to wait too long before her tenancy was a non-issue.  

     ehhhh maybe, maybe not. Argument could be made that you woulda said that 20 years ago when she was 82. Hell I read a story on BBC today that oldest dude in the world died today. He was 146. Lol all that said I myself said I probably wouldn't evict the old bat so long as she paid her rent on time. I've never bought a rental property for personal issues before. If I needed a property for personal issues I've always bought vacant.

  • Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 69 posts · 21 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @David Braut:

    What's legal or "within the landlord's rights" does not always equate with what is "right" or "moral".  What is "right and moral" can be difficult to define but you know it when you see it.  And you know when something is immoral when you see it.  If she was paying and is 102, let's be honest: the landlord would not have had to wait too long before her tenancy was a non-issue.  

     ehhhh maybe, maybe not. Argument could be made that you woulda said that 20 years ago when she was 82. Hell I read a story on BBC today that oldest dude in the world died today. He was 146. Lol all that said I myself said I probably wouldn't evict the old bat so long as she paid her rent on time. I've never bought a rental property for personal issues before. If I needed a property for personal issues I've always bought vacant.

    I stand by my statement.

  • Property Manager · San Antonio Texas · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    2 factors to keep in mind. 1. 30 years She paid the house off. 2. Hopefully, some of us or our family life to be 102 and would hope for the kindness, karma, golden rule, etc. to be shown to us. If you have to justify to a partner what is the benefits of keeping her. I guess u could call the local reporter's and get pr from how nice and good you the investor is doing in the community....

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    @Renay Reese, this is the 'socialist republic of California'.  Which does have an agenda.  

    The tenant was given 90 day quit notice.  All that was required was 60 days.  30 years, 25 years, 10 years, WHERE does the number stop?  

    A year ago I gave my tenant of 9 years a 90 day quit notice.  We were unable to agree on a new rental price.  After she moved I upgraded just about everything and got an EXTRA $1000 a month.  

    This IS a business, not a charity.  

    If she was 102 and not wanting to pay what I needed, I would have STILL hit her with a 90 day quit.

    I believe 'Arnold' owns some places.  Maybe she can move in there for 'free'?  ;-)

    ALL of you that state that you would let her stay don't REALLY know if you would or not.  What if 'granny' was paying a rent controlled $700 a month when the going rate is $3,000?  Would you REALLY be as 'kind' as you are stating you are on this website?  

    Somehow I doubt it.  

    3 sides to EVERY story:  Yours, mine & the truth.  ;-)

  • Property Manager · San Antonio Texas · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    I work at brokerage were my broker gave a tenant a home after she had been living there for years and paid it off. Most investors understand that TERMS on ONE deal should not make or break you if you have enough deals in your funnel. Helping others and helping yourself should not be mutually exclusive. But its ok that everyone does not agree here. (it makes my life easier when we bid against each other and making a personal connection with sellers, renters, clients in general.) So please sincerely keep it up! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Yeah I would keep the tenant and leave her be. 

    A young lawyer will easily be able to pay market rent after passing the bar. I'm not convinced on evicting the tenant. There is no such thing as business ethics vs personal ethics, its just ethics all around. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.