What vinyl plank product do you use?

What vinyl plank product do you use?

Newbury Park, CA · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 121 votes

I'm just jumping on the vinyl plank bandwagon for my rentals. Up until know I always went the cheap carpet route. A few quick questions for you guys who already use this product in your rentals. 

  • What has been your experience with vinyl plank so far? Is it worth it?
  • How many turnovers does it usually survive? 
  • What brand do you use?
  • Would you mind sharing pictures?

Thanks a lot!

1Reply
257 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

@Michael B.

After years of purchasing the allure vinyl plank from home depot I discovered that Sherwin Williams (the paint store) has their own flooring division and they provide and install a top quality vinyl plank flooring product for a $1.29 labor and material installed.... Its almost identical if not higher quality than The Home Depot products... I just wish I would have discovered this 5 years ago I probably would have saved a $100,000 or more....

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael B.

    I need to try that. My contractor discount at SW gets me 50% off for paint and stain. I wonder if that applies to flooring as well.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y

    HD Allure looks like new after four years and two sets of tenants.  First tenant had two cats.

    • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
      7y
      Originally posted by @Dutch Langley:

      I just had an Armstrong LVP rigid, click floor put in a 2100 square foot house.  12 mil wear layer.  Gorgeous.  Got 1.99 per square on materials.  1.99 on install.  Complicated house with lots of angles.  Wonderful job.  

       where did you get armstrong for 1.99?

    • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
      7y

      I swear by the Costco stuff. Personal and rentals.

    • Lender · Irvine, CA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 5 votes
      7y

      @Dante Feria

      This is awesome, thank you very much for sharing! If you don't mind sharing, what type of countertop did you use for the kitchen and what of tile did you use for the bathroom?

    • Investor · Trafalgar, IN · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 58 votes
      7y

      @Michael B. I’ve been using Congoleum Carefree from Menards and it’s similar to the Allure at HD but much better quality. So far so good! I love that I can replace a piece in the middle of the floor without disassembling the whole floor to do it. Good luck!

    • Rental Property Investor · Columbus and Jonesboro GA · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 56 votes
      7y

      The counter top is laminate and tiles came from HD , I have a revolving credit and usually get a 24 month deferred payment with zero interest when the amount purchase is more than 2k . Here is another one using a different color

      https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

    • Rental Property Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 14 votes
      7y

      I am using Shaw from lowes

    • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7y

      I looked into vinyl this last round and after much contemplation, went with Lifeproof from HD. I selected it based on the thick wear layer, water-tight field, the relative flexibility (to go over an imperfect floor), the floating system and not the least, the color option (lol). I love it so far, but it has not been long enough to provide a long-term opinion. I suspect it will hold up well. Eats saw blades for breakfast though.

      As a side note, during this process I developed a system to install the vinyl in bathrooms going over failed tile (or other failed product that could serve as an underlay). I have not yet tried it, but will on my next project. Using a vinyl product that is watertight in the field, I intend to first lay a thick bead of polyurethane exterior-grade caulk (Vulkem brand for instance) at the wall perimeter against the sub-floor and bottom plate and under the wood base-trim, and also at the door threshold, keeping water inside the bathroom. From there, I will loose-fit the vinyl. After the loose fit, I will lay another thick bead of exterior caulk under the vinyl around the perimeter only. Finally, I will install a shoe over the vinyl and against the base, using a silicone caulk behind and under the shoe to keep the water from entering the small unprotected zone. The idea here is to have a bathroom flooring system that is relatively inexpensive, long-lasting, easy to install, easy to replace, and be virtually water-tight.

    • Rental Property Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 140 votes
      7y

      Tile is at least $3 sq. ft. for installation in our area, plus the product costs.  It should be installed on roofing felt, so if the slab cracks, the tile won't crack with it.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
      7y

      @Mike Franco  I got it through a company here called MyNewFloor.com  I got a discount that was going on for that month and bought for two of the houses I am flipping.

    • Rental Property Investor · Big Sandy, TN · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 91 votes
      7y

      Lowes sells Shaw Matrix Asheville Pine for $1.98. I have installed about 12,000 sf of it with success. We are about 2 years in on the first and it's holding up well. Switching from beige to an earth grey wall and the flooring has allowed me to raise the rent about $200 per month.



      https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shaw-Matrix-14-Piece-5-9-in-x-48-in-Asheville-Pine-Luxury-Locking-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring/999920084

    • Real Estate Investor · Boyds, MD · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Jared Bestebreur:

      @Michael B.

      Mannington Audra Max - Definitely on the high end but lots of online retailers sell it for $2.5-3/sq ft. We used it for our high end townhomes and love it.



      Do you mind sharing the name of any of the online retailers?

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.