Newbury Park, CA · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 121 votes
I'm just jumping on the vinyl plank bandwagon for my rentals. Up until know I always went the cheap carpet route. A few quick questions for you guys who already use this product in your rentals.
What has been your experience with vinyl plank so far? Is it worth it?
Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@Michael B.
After years of purchasing the allure vinyl plank from home depot I discovered that Sherwin Williams (the paint store) has their own flooring division and they provide and install a top quality vinyl plank flooring product for a $1.29 labor and material installed.... Its almost identical if not higher quality than The Home Depot products... I just wish I would have discovered this 5 years ago I probably would have saved a $100,000 or more....
Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
7y
Lumber liquidators. Great product and in most cases cheaper by a wide margin. Heck, you can get it installed for the same price some brands charge just for the flooring. Don't get it installed though, it's too easy to DIY.
Investor · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 67 votes
7y
@Michael B. I’m wrapping up a rehab now with vinyl floors. At the link below is the Traffic Masters Anniston Oak for .99/sqft. Doesn’t come with padding but gives a great look and feel.
I plan to experiment with other flooring even though I’m happy with how this came out.
Investor · searcy, AR · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 111 votes
7y
@Tyler Hespeler
I have had no success with laminate click. Even mopping it causes wear on the corners, swelling and lifting. Walk way areas where tenants bring in water on their shoes etc. always wear easily and get water damaged at seams. I hope you have better luck, but the stuff just falls apart in my experience.
Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 207 votes
7y
Based upon some recommendations here a while back, I used the Home Depot Lifeproof stuff in a couple places. The install is great, however, I'm not sure if I'd use it again. Mainly because:
a) it scratches pretty easy. Moving appliances especially. I couldn't believe how easy it scratched.
b) if you have to remove it temporarily for some reason like water leak getting underneath, it is a complete pain to put back together. It's an assemble once product that doesn't like to be pulled apart and reassembled.
c) if you damage one plank, I don't see how you fix it without taking the whole thing apart.
If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't use Lifeproof. I have concerns about its long term durability. Like I bought it because I thought it would be more durable and last longer than a wood floor/carpet, I don't think that's going to be the case. I do think it will hold up better than the wood laminate for sure.
Pullman, WA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 9 votes
7y
@Michael B.
Mannington Audra Max - Definitely on the high end but lots of online retailers sell it for $2.5-3/sq ft. We used it for our high end townhomes and love it.
Investor · Hunker, PA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 17 votes
7y
@Michael B.
Shaw vinyl plank flooring which is carried by Lowe’s. Around 1.89 a square foot (material only). Is 100% waterproof. It has a snap click lip that hooks the pieces together. I used to use allure with the grip strip but have now standardized on the Shaw product. Use the color of resort teak in all my rentals.
Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 46 votes
7y
@Michael B.
I believe it depends on a tenant, not the floor.
We used $4/sq.ft LVP, $1.50/sq.ft LVP, padding, no padding, HD, other brands, it is all the same. If the tenant is careful and doesn’t drag the walkers, chairs, furniture, heavy pointy toys across the floor (which is unrealistic), the floor might survive till the next non-careful tenant. If you allow pets, even with the click waterproof floor you will have a problem with the odor bc the accidental tinkle will leak between the clicks into those little grooves and it will continue to smell, especially if you/next tenant doesn’t have pets. If you have glue on/glue together, any continued water exposure will unglue it. (Snow, small tinkles that have gone unnoticed, spilled water, lazy cleaners, etc)
The floor that is used for commercial use, like shopping centers or grocery stores, designed for foot traffic, not little Johny running across his room in spiked soccer shoes and slip sliding all over the place scratching the brand new floor you installed only 1 month ago or constant dragging of the chairs or pointy toys.
You probably noticed that in commercial application, they use either those carpet tiles that are easy to replace or VCT tile, which is also easy to replace, because no mater what is used, they know they will need to replace some of them. So might as well go with the easier/cheaper replaceable ones.
We now use cheaper LVP because we know that tenants will accidentally/neglectfully ruin it anyway, so might as well save the dollars upfront for the next replacement, which is guaranteed, will take place.
In our opinion, they haven’t invented tenant-proof floors yet.
Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
7y
I think the brand is called Elements, it's similar to HD Lifeproof just a little cheaper, has the underlayment attached already and pretty thick material. Goes about $3.50/square foot installed and looks great. We'll see how long it lasts!
Eastern Michigan · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 144 votes
7y
I just wanted to add my 2 cents about lifeproof since its been recommended a couple times-- that product is garbage. We put it in our personal house and the scratches were unreal! If one grain of sand was under anything, a box, a shoe, a chair leg, and then dragged then instant deep and noticable scratching occured. And we were really tring to be careful. We have used a variety of other vinyl plank products with 0 issues. Sorry but i dont remember the names. Just wanted to warn againt lifeproof.
Belvidere, NJ · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
7y
Smartcore Pro (Lowe's)
I don't have experience putting them in a rental yet but I personally installed them in my basement (not a skilled handyman) and I couldn't be happier with them. I also have 2 young daughters and a playful golden retriever which are putting it to the test.
Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 180 votes
7y
At some of these price points of $3/sq ft or so why are people not going with wood looking tile? Even more durable and I have installed it at same price point or cheaper than a lot of these numbers being thrown around.
Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@James Barnhart
I just noted in the previous post that it was vinyl plank flooring. Your last 5 responses seem kind of angry I don't know what your problem is... If you don't believe that's what I'm paying I don't really care...lol
Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
7y
I just had an Armstrong LVP rigid, click floor put in a 2100 square foot house. 12 mil wear layer. Gorgeous. Got 1.99 per square on materials. 1.99 on install. Complicated house with lots of angles. Wonderful job.
Laminate is COMPLETELY different. The discussion is on vinyl planks, which is waterproof.
No crap bro. Go back and read my comments. You totally took what I said obviously didn’t read it, twisted it, and used it out of context. The guy I responded to was using laminate which is why i said it was crap. Have a great life troll. Durka Durka.
At some of these price points of $3/sq ft or so why are people not going with wood looking tile? Even more durable and I have installed it at same price point or cheaper than a lot of these numbers being thrown around.
Here, I would not use tile, as the houses are not usually slab which leads to cracking issues latter on down the line, even when installed properly.
I just noted in the previous post that it was vinyl plank flooring. Your last 5 responses seem kind of angry I don't know what your problem is... If you don't believe that's what I'm paying I don't really care...lol