Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
7y
We require them to actually confirm... which means responding to our text. We let them know , no response at least 1 hour prior means we cancel the showing.
Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
7y
We require them to actually confirm... which means responding to our text. We let them know , no response at least 1 hour prior means we cancel the showing.
Real Estate Broker · Lexington, KY · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 129 votes
7y
I have any prospect first fill out a showing request form to be "qualified" for a showing before I schedule anything. This has helped a lot since it takes time to fill out a form and helps weed out those who aren't really interested. Once they fill out the form, I then use the data from the form to call them and schedule a showing. I also tell them I need to hear from them approximately 1 hour before the appointment that they are showing up and also inform them that multiple prospects will be scheduled at the same time.
You can view the form here, but please don't fill it out :D
Real Estate Broker · Lexington, KY · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 129 votes
7y
I should mention that around 30% of the prospects actually fill out the form. About 50% of those are qualified, the others I just send an email template telling them in generic terms that they were not qualified. Of the qualified group, around 50% are actually interested in viewing the property.
Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
I do heaving screening on the initial phone conversation, then have prospective residents drive by to check out the location / neighborhood. Subsequently, they may schedule a showing. I'm guessing my no show rate is maybe 10%.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
My applicants started showing up (and applicant quality improved) when I started requiring the completion of a free application including an upload of a DL and a recent paycheck stub. When I'm ready to offer the unit to a pre-qualified applicant I charge a $25 (per adult) background check fee.
In addition, since I often meet strangers alone to show empty apartments, I believe this is process is important for my safety and when I show occupied apartments, for my existing tenant's safety when I take strangers through their homes
Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
It's one of the first tests that potential tenants fail for us. We have used this simple line hundreds of times over the years.
"We have booked your time for Thursday at 5pm at 123 Main St. _____ our Leasing Agent will be there to show you the apartment. Please text ______ one hour before to confirm you are coming or we won't be there."
90% of the time if someone doesn't text us, they bailed. Saves us time. If they show up unannounced it's either because we're renting D class property and no one follows directions anyway or we're renting C or B class and their odds of getting the unit are now less.
REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
Not a fan of the "pre-qualifying" before showing an apartment. A house for purchase? Yes, but not an apartment for rent. Someone who wants to rent for a year or two doesn't want to provide all of their information before even seeing if they like it. Imagine a car dealship requiring you to fill out an application before even letting you see the car. You would simply look elsewhere. If its a hard market and tenants are falling over themselves to rent? Ok.
My recomendation is to have an Open House in the evening on a Wednesday or Thursday and one on a weekend during the day. First you know when you will be there, prospects see others interested and it builds a "sense of urgency". Also its a low pressure approach for them, they can browse. Safety and security is increased because someone could always walk in verses a single showing. The advertising is no more expensive and even someone on the fence about moving may choose to stop in and fall in love with it. If they have to fill out employment history, soc, credit they might not bother.
Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
7y
I direct everyone to my website to get more pics, qualification information, a virtual tour, and an application before I even move a muscle. If they can't do that then they aren't that interested. Once the email or text me the application I go through it, do a preliminary background check on our MN convictions website, and then if all checks out I'll ask if they'd like to see it before we do the background/credit check online. So far it's working great and keeps me from spending time on people who would never qualify anyways.
Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
7y
@Brady Boyer
I set up and advertise a “Rental Open House” on a specific date (I always use Sunday afternoon).
Serious people show up, all is done in one day. I take applications on site on the day of the open house. This is usually enough to get 2-3 well qualified applicants. I avoid all that no-show nonsense. My time is valuable.
@Jill F. - mind if I ask what service you use to do the prequalification?
Hi Karl, I diy it. I do public court records searches for every city/county where an applicant has lived, usually a quick FB check, and if the paycheck stub looks wonky, I'll call and verify employment (though usually I only do this for applicants I'm offering an apartment to)
Rental Property Investor · Springfield, PA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 20 votes
7y
@Brady Boyer One thing I have done with my single family rentals is have an open house instead of single showings. I do accommodate some if they can’t make the open house.
You've got to confirm showings. We text an hour prior to a showing . . . "Hi, it's Charlie. Just a quick reminder that you have an appointment to view 123 Main St at 10:00 am today, in about an hour. If you could please respond to this text message to let me know that you are definitely coming and I'll look forward to meeting you then!" If we don't get a response, we don't go or will send a follow up text. No shows are a massive time waster.
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
@Brady Boyer Try not to schedule appointments to far out days wise, those almost never end up working out. They either find another apartment in the meantime, prioritize seeing another over yours, or just plain forget.
Tell them in your initial conversation "I will text you at this phone number the day of to confirm, is this the best number to contact you on?" If they do not respond the day of to your text then you don't go to the showing and save yourself some time.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
7y
@Brady Boyer pre qualifying tenants is the first step as others mentioned. Ask them to drive by and verify the neighborhood/location fits their needs. Then setup an appointment. We text them the time and address. We require them to text us when they leave to drive to the property. We tell them, we will not drive over to the property until we get a text from them. That will 100% eliminate no shows. It is also our policy that a no show doesn't get a reschedule. Even if you "got in a car accident" or "your grandma died", save it for someone who hasn't heard it all before. Time is the most valuable resource and if someone doesn't respect it, they are not someone I want to rent to.
Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 23 votes
7y
@Brady Boyer I have a few tips that I've found to help. I still struggle with this but I've been able to cut down from 50% no shows to about 25%.
1. Have an initial screening and send the screening criteria over to the potentially interested party. This way they know right off the bat if they don't qualify so hopefully they don't waste your time.
2. Confirm any showings 24 hours in advance, and then text or call to confirm 30 minutes before the appointment (or before you drive over there) that they are on their way and will be there. Typically if they don't answer they don't plan to show up so that can at least save you from driving to the property.
3. Try to schedule your appointments all in one block of time so if you get a no show hopefully there are more showings lined up that can salvage a trip out to your property. I typically try to line up 3-5 showings all in one block of time. So each showing gets scheduled for 30 minutes, with 15-minute breaks in between showings so there isn't that awkward overlap where your next appointment shows up before you finish.
Ontario, Canada · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
7y
I know there’s a management company here that only holds open houses and you fill out the application on the spot with a $50 application to run a background and credit check.
Property Manager · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 302 posts · 246 votes
7y
I always call to confirm before. If they don't answer or call back, I don't go. If you are interested in doing self-showings to save time, Rently is a good option.
Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 490 posts · 301 votes
7y
One way to get more people to apply in the first place is by using virtual staging and professional photography. I've had a lot of success with that. Another thing to remember is that the kind of tenant who isn't responsible enough to show up to an appointment or considerate enough to inform you of a change of plans probably wouldn't make a great tenant anyway so i wouldn't chase them if i were you. That being said you can text or call to confirm about an hour before the appointment so you dont waste your time.