Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,424 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    10y

    @Don Konipol I had one of these 'Nut Factors' as well who insisted they would be talking to the new tenant. I told them that I had two words for them: Tortious Interference.

    I sent them the Wikipedia link to it and told them that I'd be happy to have my attorney explain it to them in the form of legal action if they couldn't understand it.

    They faded away...

    Rick

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    so, we updated a house 3 weeks ago and my wife rented it to a couple. this weekend they called that the furnace is is not working, so i went to check it out.

    A woman opened, i  went in and i she goes back to the kitchen, where she and another 2 people from mexican were cleaning the kitchen,wiping counters, etc. i asked, "are you guys the cleaners"? the woman that answered the door said, "no, i am the tenant. i live here".

    sometimes the landlord says stupid stuff. lol

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    @George P. - I think you should start a thread called "Stupid Things Landlords Say" with that post :)

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Don Konipol I'm surprised that you kept replying to this person! lol I would have stopped responding after his email saying the chalkboard paint was an improvement.

    Recently, I had a tenant move out and about 1-2 times a week, she'd call me. I didn't answer most of these calls. First it was to give her another chance and have her move back in. This was after she kept letting her friends damage my apartment. Then, her calls would be to ask if she has any mail at the apartment because she's expecting something important. Well, better update that address!

    A week ago, I had an open house and one of the ladies that came by was prepared to apply. She brought her pay stubs and copy of her ID and SS card. Later that day, she had decided she needed her pay stubs back. I had already left the property and was shopping with my husband. This woman called my phone 10 times within 30 minutes! You know what they say, if someone doesn't answer the first three times, try try again.

    I called her back when I was done shopping and she said she really needed her stubs back. I told her I'd happily mail them back to her, but in the meantime, would email her copies of them. Fast forward to yesterday, she calls again and says she didn't receive the stubs. She questions when I put them in the mail. I tell her I put them in the mail Sunday, so it was processed Monday. She asks the same question 2 more times, and I explain two more times and then add, "i'm sorry, but I'm not sure what else to tell you." This made her mad. "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TELL ME?! THAT WON'T DO!" I kindly reminded her that it's out of my hands, to have a nice day, and I hung up the phone. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Nicole A.

    The thing I always try to remember (though I often fail) is that when dealing with a large enough sampling of the general population you will come across all types of people; the psychotic, neurotic, self obsessed, egotistical, obsessive - compulsive, as well as the unhappy, naive, stupid, etc.  Unfortunately, instead of disengaging I somehow find myself drawn into a confrontation.  Which is why I do everything possible to place "professional property managers" between myself and tenants.  However, I do make sure the tenants have my contact information in case they feel they need to go above the property manager.  

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    @Nicole A. I have had a similiar tenant applicatant crisis in them giving me the original to W2s after I had asked for copies, resulting in mulltiple phone calls from various family members, then after I dropped off stuff where they live since they were in the area, calls from multiple members of the family asking where stuff was that they never gave me in the first place.

    Then about ten months later they called about a rental I had available at that time, but I think I forgot to call them back.

  • Construction Trucking Owner / Operator · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 37 votes
    10y
    This thread isn't "priceless" at all. It's terrifying. I just changed my mind about getting involved in real estate. I wonder if I can get my Pro membership fee back.
  • Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
    10y

    @Robert Andrade every business venture come with its set of challenges. Many experienced investors describe real estate as being very simple but not easy. 

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I was in a face to face appointment the other day, and someone called me about a rental.  And then called me again.  And then called me eight more times....She also sent me a text, left one voicemail and sent an email.  This was all in a span of about 15 minutes.

    If I don't pick up, calling me again and again is just going to piss me off.  Clearly, I am busy and can not come to the phone.  Leave a message and then wait a few hours.  If I still haven't called you back at the end of the day, only then is it acceptable to call again.

  • Investor · Sydney, New South Wales · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robert Andrade:

    This thread isn't "priceless" at all. It's terrifying. I just changed my mind about getting involved in real estate.
    I wonder if I can get my Pro membership fee back.

    You should try house sharing Robert. They manage to seem normal until they move in with you and then within 24 hours you are wondering what on earth you have done.  Is there a house hacking version of this thread? Maybe I should start one.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by :

    A week ago, I had an open house and one of the ladies that came by was prepared to apply. She brought her pay stubs and copy of her ID and SS card. Later that day, she had decided she needed her pay stubs back.

    When I'm doing showings, I have a laptop with a small scanner.  I take scans of everything.  This way I never need to have people make copies (which they are bad at getting done) and I don't have to take any originals.  It's a really inexpensive setup and works very well.

  • Investor · Friendswood, TX · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    Robert, this stuff really isn't bad if you do your homework.  It is just part of the price of doing business.  If you will reread, most of these people were screened out and were never allowed to rent. 90 % of of our rentals are pretty much trouble free. As with any business 10% will occupy 90 % of your time.  My rental business is so much better than my old 9 to 5. There is no way I would ever go back.

    Randy 

  • Investor · Friendswood, TX · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    To add another story.  About 4 years ago we purchased 4 BR forcloseure property. It was owned by a nurse with 3 teen age kids.  The  property was absolutely filthy.  The walls in the kid's rooms were filled with vile graffiti. It had all the standard forcloseure property problems.  We did a complete rehab and the place was stunning upon completion.  So we put it up for rent. Guess who was the first applicant? The nurse and her spawn!   Guess who's application got got lost in the shuffle 😊

    Randy

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    Had a person I will call Patty Fooligan contact us 3 times via Hotpads in 3 days for "more information". First two times calling the person on the phone and texting we got no answer. The third time we get a text response,"Dear Kimberly, could you show me what email address was used because it was not me and I'm wondering if someone is using my email",

    So we respond,"Someone called Patty Fooligan contacted us via Hotpads, email xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx, gave phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx". 

    And yes, we had been calling and texting the correct phone number given in the Hotpads lead.

    +1xxxxxxxxxx: "Hi, that is my phone number, not hers. Be careful, Garry"

    Me: "Do you know who she is? Why is using your phone number?"

    +1xxxxxxxxxx: "Don't know her, email her and ask ? "

    Which we did not do because we are not the phone number police. 

    The very same day, a realtor emails me to me to ask if we take section 8. I hit reply all, and see that also copied is...Patty Fooligan!! Same email as in the Hotpads lead.  I have to wonder what phone number this real estate agent has for his client Patty Fooligan.

    And I make a note to tell my VA to not respond anymore leads from Patty Fooligan...

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    @Kimberly H. wow I can't believe a tenant would actually say that 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by :

    A week ago, I had an open house and one of the ladies that came by was prepared to apply. She brought her pay stubs and copy of her ID and SS card. Later that day, she had decided she needed her pay stubs back.

    When I'm doing showings, I have a laptop with a small scanner.  I take scans of everything.  This way I never need to have people make copies (which they are bad at getting done) and I don't have to take any originals.  It's a really inexpensive setup and works very well.

    Or just take photographs with a digital camera or smartphone camera.  You don't usually need originals for this in your files ...

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by :

    A week ago, I had an open house and one of the ladies that came by was prepared to apply. She brought her pay stubs and copy of her ID and SS card. Later that day, she had decided she needed her pay stubs back.

    When I'm doing showings, I have a laptop with a small scanner.  I take scans of everything.  This way I never need to have people make copies (which they are bad at getting done) and I don't have to take any originals.  It's a really inexpensive setup and works very well.

    Or just take photographs with a digital camera or smartphone camera.  You don't usually need originals for this in your files ...

    Maybe it's just me, but when I try to take pictures of things they wind up dark and for full sheets of paper it's hard to get clear images of the whole piece of paper. For me, it scans everything as PDFs.  I can store digitally with the application which I'm required to keep for 2 years for legal reasons.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by :

    A week ago, I had an open house and one of the ladies that came by was prepared to apply. She brought her pay stubs and copy of her ID and SS card. Later that day, she had decided she needed her pay stubs back.

    When I'm doing showings, I have a laptop with a small scanner.  I take scans of everything.  This way I never need to have people make copies (which they are bad at getting done) and I don't have to take any originals.  It's a really inexpensive setup and works very well.

    Or just take photographs with a digital camera or smartphone camera.  You don't usually need originals for this in your files ...

    Maybe it's just me, but when I try to take pictures of things they wind up dark and for full sheets of paper it's hard to get clear images of the whole piece of paper. For me, it scans everything as PDFs.  I can store digitally with the application which I'm required to keep for 2 years for legal reasons.

     It's just u.  :) 

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 34 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by :

    A week ago, I had an open house and one of the ladies that came by was prepared to apply. She brought her pay stubs and copy of her ID and SS card. Later that day, she had decided she needed her pay stubs back.

    When I'm doing showings, I have a laptop with a small scanner.  I take scans of everything.  This way I never need to have people make copies (which they are bad at getting done) and I don't have to take any originals.  It's a really inexpensive setup and works very well.

    Or just take photographs with a digital camera or smartphone camera.  You don't usually need originals for this in your files ...

    Maybe it's just me, but when I try to take pictures of things they wind up dark and for full sheets of paper it's hard to get clear images of the whole piece of paper. For me, it scans everything as PDFs.  I can store digitally with the application which I'm required to keep for 2 years for legal reasons.

     There is an app called "CamScanner" for android (I'm sure apple has either the same or something similar), but you take a picture of the paper with your phone, through the app, and it will convert it to a pdf. It's pretty cool. 

  • Real Estate Agent · tampa, Florida (FL) · Member since 2013 · 206 posts · 96 votes
    10y

    this thread has provided me a couple hours of entertainment lol

  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    This one happened a week ago.

    Prospective Renter: "I'm very interested in your property and I would like to schedule a viewing right away. I'm standing outside the building, can you meet me now?"

    Me- "Before we go ahead and schedule and appointment, how soon are you looking to move?"

    Prospective Renter: "In August."

    Me- "Unfortunately, that will not work. It's March right now and the unit is move-in ready. We can't hold it longer than two weeks. Please call back as it gets closer to your move-in day,  thank you and have a nice day." 

    Prospective renter while at the property... "Yeah, so I love the place but it's above my budget. If the owner lowers the price by $300 then I'll take the unit, but I still need to give a 30 day notice. I know I said I was ready to move-in right away over the phone, which I am, but I still need to give my notice." 

    Me: *Thinking to myself* Why the heck would you waste my time on a Saturday?! Arghh.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    Saturday, I set an appointment so show a tenant occupied property, which is the ONLY reason I do a showing and not an open house. And fortunately I had two showings back-to-back.

    I tell the person on the phone that i will show it from 1-1:15 and to be on time since I have showings before and after. He agrees.

    I text right after getting off phone "1-1:15..."and he says ok thanks.

    An hour before i text "still good for 1-1:15"? and he says yes.

    A half hour later, at 12:30pm, he calls and says,"I am here knocking where are you???" Fortunately the tenant wasn't home to aggravate.

  • Investor · Roseburg, OR · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    I just received an application man and wife $25 per adult application fee. Run a back ground check find an eviction call the court still owing $914.75 to previous landlord.  Print up a denial of application due to undisclosed eviction.  She calls and says she doesn't know why the property manager said they were evicted "THEY WERE NOT"! I told her it was the court record I hadn't spoken to the previous manager. Now she wants the application fee back because I refused to rent to them. 

    Run an application all looks fine show up to sign lease docs and they have 5 pit bulls that are all "companion animals" 5 prescriptions one for each dog by name and description. It had to be a HUD tester I rented to them (my ins agent was freaking) they moved out in 1 month.

    Old lady calls sick husband must rent my place close to VA Hospital but can only afford 1/2 the rent. I suggest she see if her kids will help her out with the rent. She is not going to leech off her kids! No problem trying to leech off a stranger.

    I evict a tenant for non-payment who brought in 22 additional animals, not allowed on lease or on pet agreement.  Files suit for not returning her security deposit, tells lawyer that when she was EVICTED that meant she would not have to pay anything more.  Like rent or damages?  I contact the next landlord due to ongoing litigation and he evicted them too and is owed $12,000.  He was told all kinds of stories house had no water, sewage in yard so he rents to them without a deposit.  His lawyer writes up papers saying when they get money from me in a lawsuit then they will pay him rent! Of course they tore up his place too.

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    I showed a unit to a tenant applicant today, on the phone she had said her reason for moving was that she was in a dispute with her current property managers. On arrival I asked her in passing what was wrong with her current unit, "everything" was her reply. In the course of twenty minutes she managed to mention the Landlord and Tenant Board twice, including a reference to potentially taking a landlord before the Landlord and Tenant Board, and proceeded to make claims that the Residential Tenancies Act meant that she could be kicked out on sixty days notice even if she had a fixed term lease. I explained that this was incorrect, that a fixed term lease would run with the property and the scenario she outlined only applied to month to month tenancies. She argued with me as to the contents and meaning of the Residential Tenancies Act! All this while she was looking for a place and presumably putting on better demeanour for a prospective landlord.

    She said the unit did not have sufficient storage for her needs and left. I continue to advertise the unit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Delia Lopez,

    In regard to the old lady with the sick husband (in case you get any more such applicants), ...

    Ask your local VA people about the Veteran's Administration Supportive Housing program. VA guarantees the rent. Not sure what restrictions there may be.

    David J Dachtera

    "Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
    - DJ Benedict

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.