Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,150 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    This thread is trending away from tenants saying dumb things to professional dead beat tenants use local laws to get free occupancies

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    10y

    Prospective tenants come by today to look at our SFH and love it. During the walk through the woman mentions that her credit isn't good at least 5 times.

    At the very end of the showing she says "I can't reiterate enough just how bad my credit is" and that we want to move in  2 weeks.

    Me: "That's not a selling point"

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    they: "Wondering what you have available for around $900-1,100 if you have anything"

    we: "None of the houses we maintain are below $1,100."

    they: "We would be willing to pay that much can I see what you have available?"

    we: "It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom ranch, with a basement, 2 car garage and fully fenced yard for $1,350."

    they: "Do you guys have anything a little cheaper"

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    @George P. In defense of the applicant, I can see how that conversation could be misunderstood. If you say you don't maintain anything below $1100, that, to me, sounds like you might have something just above $1100. Just saying... =)

  • Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    This thread rocks! Thanks for the laughs!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Two more short ones:

    1. The rent amount is posted in the ad.  Someone came to look at it and said the rent amount is outside their budget.  Did they think the rent was magically going to be lower once they got there?

    2. I got a lead off of the "GoSection8" website.  The person asked "Do you accept Section 8?"

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    Two more short ones:

    2. I got a lead off of the "GoSection8" website.  The person asked "Do you accept Section 8?"

    Only on Thursday's immediately preceding a full moon.  Call me back then ;-)

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:

    Two more short ones:

    1. The rent amount is posted in the ad.  Someone came to look at it and said the rent amount is outside their budget.  Did they think the rent was magically going to be lower once they got there?

    2. I got a lead off of the "GoSection8" website.  The person asked "Do you accept Section 8?"

     we get that all the time. they think that you "will like them so much" and would just lower it to get "good moral character" tenant in there.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    " I was out of the country so the 5 day notification (for non payment) shouldn't start until I'm back in the country, right?  This is what my legal adviser told me"  Really, is your legal adviser an attorney?  "Well, he is a government employee"  What's he do?  "He works the ticket booth at a state park"

    You just can't make this stuff up!

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Rental Property Investor · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the laughs guys. I learned something, which is to maintain professionalism and continue with the program after getting the awkward comments. Love the way you guys handle it in the end... "Here is the rental application form and $25 to apply, and will contact you when you qualify". I just got my first rental property so this will really come in handy.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    So today I learned that $2,400/month income is "rich".  

    I was showing a place and that was the minimum income requirement (posted in the ad and posted on two signs inside the rental with the application requirements).

    So this family comes in and the man reads the sign and walks out right away. The woman looks around a bit, then asks, "Can we still get accepted if we make $1,800 per month?"  I said no, the minimum income requirement is $2,400/month.

    She grumbles walking out the door, "Didn't know you had to be rich to live in this place!"

  • Investor · Albany, NY · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Love these. One wanted us to install a outside light for when she got home from her 1 am drumming gigs. Another wore a t shirt "Snitches get stitches"

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    We need to move in tomorrow because my aunt says we can't stay on her couch anymore.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I have a new one. A young lady applied for my 2 bed/1 bath apartment and was overly excited about it. Like red flag excited because she kept saying how thankful she'd be to get accepted. Well, needless to say, I had to reject her application due to a few things. A couple of weeks later, I get an email from her asking to apply because she "fell in love" with the place as soon as she saw it. I'm not sure if she truly thought this was a different property and company or if she was hoping I didn't remember her!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    Just got this from an RE agent forwarding this question from her clients/potential applicants:Can they have a fire pit, above ground pool, gas and electric included and can the price be lowered?

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly H.:

    Just got this from an RE agent forwarding this question from her clients/potential applicants:Can they have a fire pit, above ground pool, gas and electric included and can the price be lowered?

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    I have now to never believe what a person says!!! I could care less about the tenants or land lords stories.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Lorin K.:

    I have now to never believe what a person says!!! I could care less about the tenants or land lords stories.

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    Tenant: "I'm going to be late on rent this month because I had to get a new car.  My other one (3 years old) needed 2 new tires and a new radio so I had to get a new car and now I'm strapped."

    [She got a brand spankin' new car.]

    Me: [Silence.  Then I walked away.]

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jon K.:

    ...no job, no car (no transit nearby), and said they were in school. I google the school, and they're not enrolled until the next semester. No job/car/school/rental references = no.

    You require tenants to have a car?  Why?
    How did you find out their enrollment status with a Google search?

    Not true.  I currently have a work-from-home job.  

    Did you ask for pay stubs from their current employer?  In 2016 there are many people who work from home...it's called telecommuting.  Some perform their whole job this way while others go into the office half the time and telecommute the other half of the time.

    Never disbelieve someone who says they work from home these days as it may very well be true.  Verify with pay stubs and a call to the employer.

    So why are you renting the room if the only people that would ever rent it are unemployed?  Since they are unemployed you would never rent to them, right?  Yet if they tell you they have a job you think they are lying to you and therefore you don't rent to them either.  So what's the point then?

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    PT:  What is this thing?

    Me:  It's a stove...used to cook food.

    PT:  Oooh....I just use my phone.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 34 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Larry Tanner:

    PT:  What is this thing?

    Me:  It's a stove...used to cook food.

    PT:  Oooh....I just use my phone.

     Haha, oh how sad of what this world is coming to.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Larry Tanner:

    Tenant: "I'm going to be late on rent this month because I had to get a new car.  My other one (3 years old) needed 2 new tires and a new radio so I had to get a new car and now I'm strapped."

    [She got a brand spankin' new car.]

    Me: [Silence.  Then I walked away.]

     Never going to be a homeowner. 

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    QUOTE: This is why you see so many ads on CL stating not to call after a certain hour. Some people just have no common sense and think they can call about something at 3am. They must think everyone else is nocturnal like they are.

    I am no longer a landlord but, at least for my area, CL is a waste of time.  Seems that most CL users looking for apartments are losers with smart phones they can't afford.  Waste of time.  Used CL for 6 months then dropped it all together. 

    I found that the paper attracted much more palatable prospects.  My explanation is that idiots don't know how to use a newspaper.

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    double post.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.