Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,410 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @Larry Tanner:

    Tenant: "I'm going to be late on rent this month because I had to get a new car.  My other one (3 years old) needed 2 new tires and a new radio so I had to get a new car and now I'm strapped."

    [She got a brand spankin' new car.]

    Me: [Silence.  Then I walked away.]

     Never going to be a homeowner. 

     Of course not.  Once the grass grows too high or the dirty dishes overtake the kitchen or the toilet gets backed up, she would need to get a new house.

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    Originally posted by @Aly W.:
    Me - The ad says no full grown pets over 25 pounds


    No offense, but I never understood those types of pet rules some landlords use. 
    A small dog can be just as destructive as a large one and a full grown cat can be just as destructive, too.  As can be a bird.

    When you start making these rules, it opens you up to liars and time-wasters and other losers.

    It's either pets or not pets. 

    It's just as odd as...

    "rent is due 1st of month but late fee charged after the 5th of the month".  

    Well, then the rent is due the 5th of the month, not the first.  lol.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Larry Tanner, it's not my rule, it's the condo associations'. And it's not simply about being destructive (I do know birds can do a huge amount of damage); it's safety as well. If a dog becomes aggressive, I'd rather be charged by a 5 pounder than a 50 pounder.

  • Homeowner · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Wow this is hilarious!
  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    From a couple that used to live in one of my properties. Rent was $1,200 and they wanted to renew their lease. "If we were willing to sign a long term lease, would you discount rent?" My response: How long is a long term lease and what kind of discount are you looking for? "$1,000 per month for 14 months instead of $1,200 per month for 12 months". I'm not sure if they really think I'm that dumb or they really think they're being sly. Told them thanks, but no thanks. Time to move out.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Our rent is due on the first and late on the second. We allow a five day grace period before we charge a late fee, but doing so does not change the due date. We note in the tenant file if they paid on-time or paid late. It becomes part of their tenant record. The grace period is for the late fee, not for the rent.

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    "Do you pay medical expenses"

    Why would a landlord pay medical bills.

    "In case I get hurt on your property."

    App denied.  Stupid Tax bill issued but never paid.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    I just informed my tenant that I would not be renewing his lease as I have accepted an offer to sell the condo, and the buyer wishes to reside there himself

    "But I made all the rent payments.  Doesn't that count for something?".  

    Actually, it does in New York and San Francisco, where local rental laws have effectively transferred equity and property rights from the property owner to the tenant.  Not so much in Arizona which has yet to install socialism as it pertains to real property.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor, engineer · Longmont, CO · Member since 2013 · 55 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Larry Tanner: Some states require a landlord to give the tenant a grace period before a late fee is charged. In my state I believe you have to give a three day grace period. So, while the lease states that rent is due on the 1st, a late fee is not charged until the third.

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Clayton Sneider:

    Larry Tanner: Some states require a landlord to give the tenant a grace period before a late fee is charged. In my state I believe you have to give a three day grace period. So, while the lease states that rent is due on the 1st, a late fee is not charged until the third.

    Thanks, I did not know that.  I usually operate as though I am above the law so these things seem silly to me.  Too many laws in this country.  Anyone have an island for sale?

  • Property Manager · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 65 votes
    10y

    PT called about a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment for rent:

    Her: So how many people can live in the apartment?

    Me: The occupancy limit is 5 people.

    Her: Oh...that won't work...*thinks for a minute, then in an enlightened tone* Are there any outside areas?

    Me: ...Like a patio or balcony?

    Her: Yes! Does it have one?

    Me: I'm sorry, it doesn't.

    Her: Ok, thank you, this won't work for us.

    Who was going to live on the patio?!?!?!

  • Specialist · Huntingdon, PA · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 59 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ryan B.:

    "I would need to move in quickly because I am being evicted next week."

    Haha, great stuff.  This is an entertaining thread.  It reminds me of that show "World's Dumbest Criminals".  I think you guys have enough material for "World's Dumbest Tenants".

  • Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 29 votes
    10y
    Too funny! I'm in contract for my first rental. Look forward to contributing to this thread. 😆
  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Todd Heitner:
    Originally posted by @Ryan B.:

    "I would need to move in quickly because I am being evicted next week."

    Haha, great stuff.  This is an entertaining thread.  It reminds me of that show "World's Dumbest Criminals".  I think you guys have enough material for "World's Dumbest Tenants".

    This thread is about Applicants (prospective renters). There actually is another BP thread about Current Tenants who say dumb things... check it out and enjoy!

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/832...

  • Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 9 votes
    10y
    I know and they live among us.. =) You need to be careful with the language here tho because some might have violating discrimination law. Check out HUD for the guidelines.
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Us - "you have to make 3 times the rent".

    She - "oh, i dont know how much I make"

    @Kenitra Parks

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    Lady:  I'm a stripper, I swear I make 1200 per week.

    Us:  Well we'll need pay stubs or tax return.

    Lady:  I can get my boss to write me a note.

    Us:  : /

  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    10y

    Lady: "What is it that you are implying when you say "Service animals are always welcome"?"

    Me: "I am saying that if you have a medical need for a service animal and can document it, the animal is welcome in our apartment."

    Lady: "Ok, well, I have a dog but if I can't get you what you need, my dog can just stay with my mom then."

    ------------

    Lady:" What are your income requirements?"

    Me: "We require that you make 3 times the monthly rent in income."

    Lady: "Well, I have the income, but I just got turned down at another place since I don't make $1500/month!"

    Me: "The rent is $650, so we require $1950/month in income for this apartment."

    Lady: "So can I still rent it?"

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    I was busy showing a unit to six tenant applicants in quick succession today. The usual routine and the usual cast of characters, having to quickly make assessments and figure out who might be acceptable as a tenant on behavioral grounds if the application was financially strong. Some tenants find ways of standing out from the crowd however and the last one today fit that profile completely, he was a real attention getter. I was talking with him about the units he had seen and he was unusually forward in saying he had seen nicer units than ours (the one I was showing is actually very nice, I know because I just bought it and compared quite a few in the price range. He then went on to acknowledge that those other units were $1,500+ or $2,400+ more a year.) Then I asked him how he had found the landlords he had seen, and that is when the applicant decided to really share.

    One Landlord wanted to charge a $25 application fee. He said he had called the Landlord and Tenant Board (the regulator here in Ontario) and they did not want to do anything about it even though he offered to send them emails in which the landlord quoted the fee. In Ontario application fees are not permitted but it would be unusual for a tenant applicant to invest time in complaining about them. But the indignities did not end here, he was put out that he had gone to see units that were advertised as having central air but in fact just had baseboard heat. He had called the Landlord and Tenant Board about them as well, but again he said while shaking his head disgustedly, they just did not want to know.

    So, a tenant who volunteers that he has complained to the Landlord and Tenant Board twice while simply looking at units. It does not take too much clairvoyance to figure out what kind of tenant he would be. Once more it pays to ask simple questions and let them talk to show what is really on their minds.

    NEXT!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    I had a similar experience recently, I was tipped off that the receptionist at my hair salon was looking to move and wanted to live in an area where we have rentals. I brought it up with her, which unleashed an angry tirade about her current apartment building landlord, including how the landlord had the nerve to never update the place and it was built in the 60’s. She tried to go past property management and find out who the real owner was with no luck, the property manager wouldn’t tell her who it was, she told me, calling them scumbags. She even called the city to complain (not about the outdatedness but some other thing) but nothing came of it. I come to find out she has been living there 4 yrs, renewing each year. The clincher was when she told me the place has fire safety sprinkIers, and that she was wondering if “they even worked”, so she held a lighter to one for a half hour. I asked why she doesn’t move, she’s like well, the rent is so cheap. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly H.:

    ... I was tipped off that the receptionist at my hair salon was looking to move and wanted to live in an area where we have rentals. ...

    ... she told me the place has fire safety sprinkIers, and that she was wondering if “they even worked”, so she held a lighter to one for a half hour. ... 

    Had those sprinklers actually worked, she would have found herself having to fix her hair while they were still gushing water :) Right @Rob K.?

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    I was showing a SFH for rent the other day, Not quite as colourful as the characters @Stephen E. had.

    But I had 3 interesting ones, one applicant said they have a few pets I mentioned its okay we will still consider it,after showing the unit some casual questions a few pets turned into a travelling pet expo show! A few pets meant 6 Snakes, 4 Rabbits, 2 Cats,a handful of lizards!

    The other 2 were people who show up for a house rented for 1,500/m plus all utlities, first question, can we get utilities included? Me: No, Okay well do you think you could reduce the rent? We can only really afford 1,300/m? ..... All I can think is really? 

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @Samuel Sedore The utilities angle is a common one. From time to time I get emails in response to ads asking if we can "do an inclusive." This of course makes no sense in Ontario where electricity rates are some of the highest in North America and destined for ever greater heights due to the Liberals' mismanagement of the electricity system allegedly under their 'green' initiatives. (US readers take note, in Ontario we are ahead of the curve. It is inevitable that your rates will rise once the power grid relies more on wind and other expensive renewables.) Tenants have figured out this upward trajectory and prefer to have power bills rolled in with rent, thus increasing at rent controlled rates (1.5% in 2017!) while electricity rates in fact race ever upwards. Other than for units that lack separate metering, only a fool would include utilities in Ontario.

    I once wrote back to a particularly brazen tenant applicant and said, sure, I can pay for your utilities if you agree to pay for mine. No takers for this generous proposition.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    When I get asked if utilities are included , I ask the person if they own a car ?   Do they include gas in the payments?    Shuts them up quick 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.