Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,654 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    When I get asked if utilities are included , I ask the person if they own a car ?   Do they include gas in the payments?    Shuts them up quick 

     ... but I don't own my car and fuel is included with it ;-)

  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    10y

    I had a lady call and ask if both she and her spouse had to turn in an application and go through the background screening, I told her that any person over 18 would have to apply and pass the background check, no exceptions.

    Today I received an application, everything looked great until I saw that she had listed her spouse as a personal reference.  I checked the phone log, and sure enough it's the same lady!  Pass....

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    They: "my name will change next year"

    us: "Oh, that's goo to know, what's the reason"

    they: "I am transgendering".

    us: 

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Had a call from someone about my 3 bedroom, 1 bath SFH. "Loved it" from the pictures, just had to have it, supposedly made 4-5 times the rent, knew the neighborhood, blah, blah, blah.

    Had an initial appointment to view it at 5 pm the next day.  Moved the time up to 4:30.  Then 4 pm.  Then texted to say they had the deposit with them and was all ready to sign a lease that day.

    I repeated each time the process of our requirements which involved an application, credit check, proof of income, etc..

    At 3:50 they texted they had found a rental "more suitable to their needs".

    My best guess they would have shown up at my rental with all their possessions in the back of U-Haul having been evicted from their prior residence.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    As is, unfortunately, increasingly common, one of my ads on Craigslist was "stolen" by a scammer.  Scammer told folks to drive by the house to view it from the outside and ignore the "For Rent" sign (which had my number on it) and deal only with him.

    I finally put a note on my front door alerting folks about the scam.

    Still; I got a dozen calls from confused individuals wanting to rent a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 2800 square foot house for $700 a month.

  • Realtor · Los Angeles CA; Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I had a roommate who was an Alcoholic, used girl-friend as previous landlord references, and of course, eventually could not pay rent.  Even though we started eviction process and it went to court judgement all the way.  He said:" But, I helped putting TRASH OUT."  Hello!!! That was so ridiculous.  How about throwing yourself out? 

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Larry Tanner:

    "Do you pay medical expenses"

    Why would a landlord pay medical bills.

    Completely off topic, but we used to run motoring events, and we were asked the following question a more than a few times: "Do you pay our speeding fines?" 

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    This isn't a tenant but still funny.   We were building a new rental recently and the next door neighbor stopped me to tell me, "HEY!  My water bill almost doubled this month, did you tap into my sewer?  You're going to have to pay the increase!".  I simply laughed, waved and drove off.

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Justin Fox:

    This isn't a tenant but still funny.   We were building a new rental recently and the next door neighbor stopped me to tell me, "HEY!  My water bill almost doubled this month, did you tap into my sewer?  You're going to have to pay the increase!".  I simply laughed, waved and drove off.

     Good thing you won't be the one living there lol.  Hopefully she isn't a problem for you or your tenants in the future.

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    @Larry Tanner my tenants haven't said anything about her.  So she's keeping to herself, so far lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    As is, unfortunately, increasingly common, one of my ads on Craigslist was "stolen" by a scammer.  Scammer told folks to drive by the house to view it from the outside and ignore the "For Rent" sign (which had my number on it) and deal only with him.

    I finally put a note on my front door alerting folks about the scam.

    Still; I got a dozen calls from confused individuals wanting to rent a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 2800 square foot house for $700 a month.

    You can report these to Craigslist and they will remove them.  I search for ads with similar keywords to mine and put the ad id in my report.  They won't contact you to let you know when they do it, but they usually remove them within 24 hours.

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    I just found this video on youtube.  Only 1 minute and 47 seconds long so watch it now...

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I recently rented our first property, the one lady who stood out:

    Me: Yes we allow dogs, the house has a fenced back yard, it's great for dogs.

    Her: We have 3 big dogs and 1 little one.

    Me: We only allow a maximum of two dogs.

    Her: Don't worry, we only let the little one in the house, the others stay outside.

    Me: You leave them outside all the time? (I'm feeling bad for the dogs now!)

    Her: Yes, we plan to build a dog kennel in the backyard.

    She then called me at least 8 more times, including 6 times in one day. I finally answered and told her the house was rented (which was true). How do you have 4 dogs and rent anywhere??? I remember having a hard time renting with 1 5lb dog!

  • Robert GrahamPro Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Looks like you need to screen your applicants much better over the phone, to save your time and headaches. You must explain, upfront, the terms, (Income verification back ground check) and what 4/3/2 means. At that point they will probably hang up or tell you that they are not interested. Still funny though.
  • Robert GrahamPro Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    This post is over 4 years old. Ok let's move to the next one.
  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    10y

     @Robert Graham - we always explain the terms of our ad while screening and while it stops some from coming it doesn't stop the truly determined (or desperate) from showing up and giving it their college try.

    @Lacey S. The trick is just to stay firm on your rental rules and not to show weakness for even a minute when they try to push you. 

    Rick

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robin Grimes:

    Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

    I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

    #1
    Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
    I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
    I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

    #2
    Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
    I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
    I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

    #3
    Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
    I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
    I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

    #4
    Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
    I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
    I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
    .

    What quality of property is this and in what quality area (demographics, income, level etc)?  Sounds like you're property is attracting low quality applicants.

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robin Grimes:

    Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

    I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

    #1
    Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
    I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
    I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

    #2
    Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
    I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
    I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

    #3
    Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
    I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
    I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

    #4
    Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
    I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
    I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
    .

    Both funny and sad.  Your property is attracting non-serious, low quality prospects.  Eliminate them quickly! They likely won't meet your applicant requirements anyway.  Leasing is a numbers game.  To not waste time or your money...identify correct rental rate quickly and adjust when needed, maximize exposure, prequal anyone you show property to, eliminate unqualified prospects efficiently, gather feedback and make strategic repairs/upgrades, screen prospects effectively.

    What quality of property is this and in what quality area (demographics, income, level etc)?  

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    Me:  "Rent is $600 per month."

    Time waster:  "Is that every month?"

    Me:  <<<pause>>> <<<pause>>> "Hello...hello?" <<<pause, and just as "time waster" starts to talk>>> "can you hear me?"  <<<pause...click>>>

    Time waster:  <<<calls back>>>

    Me:  <<<doesn't answer>>>

    Darn cell phones, do they ever work right?! ;)

  • Robert GrahamPro Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Rick Bassett great.  I'm sure that I will encounter the same potential tenants.  I can't wait to have rentals soon, just as you, so I can experience those type of people.  I'm about to make the purchase thanks to bigger pockets. 

    Working with the public takes a ton of patience.  I was an operations manager with Fedex.  Trust me I know.  Several times I had to explain that we can not ship the USPS or UPS' freight.   And then they get upset with me.  

  • Altoona, PA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    Having been a landlord for quite a while (I inherited the "business" from my father and was exposed to it as a child, so we're talking decades of exposure), I never understood the "excitement" around wanting to be a landlord.  For me, it was a miserable time.  "The public" is one thing.  "Renters" are quite another.  When I consider all the time, materials and stress, I look back and see how it really wasn't worth it.  But maybe that's just me.

    But good luck to ya!!!

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Don Konipol Sounds like Kramer from Seinfeld was your tenant.

    @Shane Keilers can't believe she made that sound on the phone! hilarious.

    @Ryan B. Just 97.5 months until you're fully paid!

    @Robin Grimes I am just now realizing this thread is 4 years old! Nonetheless, very entertaining and enlightening!

    I wish you all continued success!

    -Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 183 posts · 146 votes
    10y
    Thanks everyone for the Free entertainment as I sit in a tire store lobby waiting for my truck.
  • Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes
    10y

    No.  This post never gets old.  If you want a new one, create it. 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Larry Tanner:

    Having been a landlord for quite a while (I inherited the "business" from my father and was exposed to it as a child, so we're talking decades of exposure), I never understood the "excitement" around wanting to be a landlord.  For me, it was a miserable time.  "The public" is one thing.  "Renters" are quite another.  When I consider all the time, materials and stress, I look back and see how it really wasn't worth it.  But maybe that's just me.

    But good luck to ya!!!

     Seems like the rental business was not a good fit for your personality. Nothing wrong with that. For me working a desk job in corporate America seemed like torture so I figured it out. Rental income allows my family the comfort of all the expenses taken care every month

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.