Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,849 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    Great stories, one and all. My worse story was the guy who charged towards me when I told him I needed $20.00 for a credit check. He yelled, "I don't pay any of my bills except my rent, my credit rating is none of your business!? I almost had to swing my briefcase at his head (I am wearing a coat and tie)! His wife stopped him from finishing his charge at me.

    Sounds like the kind of guy who may soon be occupying a cell at the the penitentiary. No credit check or rent required (except from the US taxpayer).

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    i forgot to mention one i had a month ago....

    a family, parents in early/mid 20s. the kids were running around and the front of their shoes were held by gray ductape. we told them that both needed to be on the lease, so needed two applications.

    he said "why if she does not have a job"?

    then he gave two apps and i said, that would be $60 for credit checks.

    he said, "Oh, so i have to pay for her app too? I thought i just have to fill out her app".

    he reached into his pocket and pulled out crumpled $28. he went to talk to her in the car to see if she had any money on her.

    i told them, "come back when you have the $60 please". never heard back.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    i recently got a call from a guy. he asks if it's still available. yep.

    His response: "I"ll take it!"

    He later tells me he lost his job in December but gets $2700 per month in unemployment & working part-time. I say I can't take people without a job.

    He then tells me, "Well, I can make the payments. This is my philosophy - firts, pay the rent then food then clothes."

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    13y

    Just had a few today that made me want to have a few beers.

    Initial call:
    Prospective Tenant - "Hi, Is the apartment still available?"
    Me - Yes it is.
    Prospective Tenant - "Is it month to month?"
    Me - No, the ad says 1yr lease.
    asks me a few other questions about the rental then goes back to
    Prospective Tenant - "Is it month to month?"
    Me - Sorry, its still a 1yr lease.
    Me - Is there a problem signing a one year lease.
    Prospective Tenant - "Well I only need a couple of months while I relocate down to Florida"
    Me - Sorry, its still a 1yr lease. I can't do 2 months rental.
    My Thinking is that they don't want to renew their current one year lease so they want me to eat the turnover cost? LOL no way!!!

    Initial Call:
    Prospective Tenant - "Hi, Is the apartment still available?"
    Me - Yes it is.
    Prospective Tenant - "What do you check because I have no credit.
    Me - What do you mean no credit? Everyone has credit.
    Prospective Tenant - "I mean bad credit"
    Me - Click
    Not even going to waste my time.

    Initial call:
    Prospective Tenant - "Hi, Is the apartment still available?"
    Me - Yes it is.
    Prospective Tenant - "How does this work?"
    Me - Come checkout the unit, if you like it fill out an application. We check credit, background and income verification.
    Prospective Tenant - "I'll bring first month plus security tomorrow"
    Me - No you come tomorrow so we can meet and you can walk through the unit if it works then fill out an application for each adult. Then we can talk about next steps with lease signing and monies.
    Prospective Tenant - "Ok I will see you tomorrow"
    My thinking is that he will not show up.

    Oh and just a few mins ago.
    Prospective Tenant - "I make good money"
    Me - "ok well come checkout the unit and fill out an application, we do credit check, background and income verification"
    Prospective Tenant - "I make good money"
    Me - "ok we look for 3x month income for rent. rent is 600 so we look for $1800 in income a month.
    Prospective Tenant - "Oh I only get 700 SSI and 200 cash assistance."
    Me - "I don't think that is going to work", Click.
    I guess he doesn't eat or pay his bills but will still pay the rent. Yeah fat chance.

    This is way to comical. My landlord buddies think i am crazy dealing with these people but how else to do this without posting all over craigslist and waiting on the calls to pour in. I may have to get guerilla and market at Hospitals, Schools, Townhalls, etc...

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    13y

    As I am loading tools into my truck a guy stops and rolls his window down.

    Guy: Hey, is that place for rent?

    Me: Nope the big, red For Rent sign is just a yard decoration.

    Guy: Oh, ok (and drives away)

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbia, SC · Member since 2012 · 112 posts · 106 votes
    13y

    I get the " What if I don't have any credit?" question every single day. I don't even answer any more.

    Today I had two good ones. An unmarried couple was interested in a house and the man got all upset and told me it was total BS (except he didn't use the abbreviation) that we had to run his credit as well. "why should it matter if we're both on it" "I have an uncle in the real estate business and when I lost my job he told me to stop making payments on my house so I'm doing a short sale but I'm sure that's ruined my credit. That's BS man I've always paid my bills"

    Then I was talking to another person and I asked if they had pets, he said he had a small dog. This particular house allowed dogs with a $200 non-refundable pet fee. I told him. He exploded. "I am not paying that fee that is ridiculous my dog goes to the bathroom outside. " I said ok, sir, well it looks like we may not be a good fit for you. But he keeps asking questions. "Is the hot water heater serviced once a year? The oven is old will they be replacing it? Can we rent it without a security deposit? What are the lot lines? How often do you service the hvac?" Somewhere in this conversation I tell him our income requirements are 4x the monthly rental in gross income. He explodes again. "HAHAHAHA so you are telling me no one in South Carolina can rent from you guys" I say very quickly, "sir we rent hundreds of units a year" So then he demands to talk directly with the property owner. I pretend to write down his number, came home, and had a beer.

  • Real Estate Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    13y

    This Thread is great!!

    I've had many of the same. One comes to mind with a previous tenant that was late with the rent. She said she had been out of town because her mother had passed away and she had to spend her rent money.

    I said - you said your mother passed away 3 months ago when you were late with the rent.

    Tenant said - Oh yeah, I forgot.

    Notice I said "previous tenant".

    Recently one caller asked "I was evicted and still owe money to the landlord, would you rent to me"?

    My response - So actually you stayed in the rental without paying rent (living rent free) until you were forced to move out legally and owe that money plus the legal costs the landlord had to pay...and you want me to rent to you? Are you serious?

    Caller said - yep.

    I said - nope

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    had a guy leave a message:

    "I know the rent is $995, but can i prepay $8,500 for the year in case i loose my job".

    you can't make this stuff up..

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by George P.:
    had a guy leave a message:

    "I know the rent is $995, but can i prepay $8,500 for the year in case i loose my job".

    you can't make this stuff up..

    I'd bet some landlords would go for that.

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    Here is a funny. Tenant is seeking to move out of her old place. But her current landlord states that she owes over $3000 in back rent and damages. So she provides some paperwork stating that she done bankrupcy. However the landlord provided docs conflicting with this stating that she didnt fill the papers correctly. She has the nerve to think that I am cool with this?

  • Investor · Nottingham, NH · Member since 2011 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    I get these often enough... I'm calling for my nephew.
    Why don't you have your nephew call me directly. I will need to meet him personally.
    Well he can't. He's in jail. You could go see him there.
    Why is he in jail? I'm sure it wasn't his fault.
    He beat up his girlfriend.
    If he is in jail, it doesn't sound like he'll need an apartment.

  • Clearwater, FL · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    A while back I was looking for a roommate. Over email the guy said he was single, 25, and was a foreman with a construction crew making good money. I told him to come by and take a look and fill out an application. He stops by, and as we are walking from room to room....
    Him - I actually have a pet dog, is that ok?
    Me - Well what kind?
    Him - Boxer... actually it's a puppy
    Me - Uh well I might give it a shot and see what happens.
    Him - I also have a 5 year old kid that would be probably visiting on the weekends.
    Me - Uhhh hmmmm
    Him - Also, the mother would probably visit every so often too. We are on-again-off-again.
    Me - Urrrrrrr
    Him - Oh yeah, could I actually pay the security deposit next month? And would it be ok if I pay weekly? I don't have the money right now.
    Me - Alright buddy, just fill out the application and I'll give you a call if it all looks good.
    Him - Cool, so would it work out if I started moving my stuff in tomorrow?
    Me - Whoaaa.... uhhhh... noooo.... First you fill out the application. Then I have to call you back. Alright? Have a nice day!

    I could go on and on about the roommate applicants. They seem to be the crazies. On the other hand I've been pretty lucky with stable tenant applicants.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes
    13y

    Applicant: "Your Pet Policy says you accept pets with a deposit and pet interview. We don't have real pets, just birds, turtles and a ferret. Do you still need a pet deposit? "

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Hahaha, exactly on the pets! I've asked that question - do you have any pets, any animals? "No, just a dog".

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by CJ F:
    A while back I was looking for a roommate. Over email the guy said he was single, 25, and was a foreman with a construction crew making good money. I told him to come by and take a look and fill out an application. He stops by, and as we are walking from room to room....
    Him - I actually have a pet dog, is that ok?
    Me - Well what kind?
    Him - Boxer... actually it's a puppy
    Me - Uh well I might give it a shot and see what happens.
    Him - I also have a 5 year old kid that would be probably visiting on the weekends.
    Me - Uhhh hmmmm
    Him - Also, the mother would probably visit every so often too. We are on-again-off-again.
    Me - Urrrrrrr
    Him - Oh yeah, could I actually pay the security deposit next month? And would it be ok if I pay weekly? I don't have the money right now.
    Me - Alright buddy, just fill out the application and I'll give you a call if it all looks good.
    Him - Cool, so would it work out if I started moving my stuff in tomorrow?
    Me - Whoaaa.... uhhhh... noooo.... First you fill out the application. Then I have to call you back. Alright? Have a nice day!

    I could go on and on about the roommate applicants. They seem to be the crazies. On the other hand I've been pretty lucky with stable tenant applicants.

    Hah! Wow, what a winner.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    My ad always says NO PETS.

    I've had prospective roommates come see it, then say:

    Tenant: "Well, I actually have a dog that lives with my mother... could the dog stay here some?

    Me: (Thinking: HELL NO!) "No, pets are not allowed."

    Tenant Inquiry: "I'm looking for a room for my girlfriend and I..."

    Me: (Thinking: WTF is wrong with people... this is a bills paid, single occupancy room in a roommate situation) "No reply."

    Tenant Inquiry: "I used to attend X College, but took some time off. My parents pay my rent. I have an emotional support dog." They fill out application, and use their mother as rental references."

    Yeah, no.

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 252 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    This thread delivers

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2009 · 483 posts · 228 votes
    13y

    This thread is epic by far.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    13y

    Me: You would have to cut the grass.

    Applicant: With a lawnmower?

    Me: That would probably be the easiest way.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    13y

    Applicant: What is that thing?

    Me: The furnace!?!

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Ryan B.:
    Me: You would have to cut the grass.

    Applicant: With a lawnmower?

    Me: That would probably be the easiest way.

    Ha, wow. Tenants are so..... fun.

  • Florissant, CO · Member since 2013 · 184 posts · 69 votes
    13y

    I am often looking for a good roommate - they are soooo are to find. I have a small, SFH 3 bdrm and rent 1 bdrm to 1 person - as the ad clearly states.

    I had a couple reply recently - went on and on about being older "professionals": "We just want to make music and bring smiles to people. Terry has been singing professionally for over 20 years. We are very quiet people.. except for the smiles, laughter and singing. Terry sings online several times a week.. only between 10am and 8pm as he is loud. . . . "

    My reply: "My house is too small for 3 adults; and I am only looking for 1 person. Good luck in your search."

    Their reply: "Terry and I are both under 5'5" if room is needed."

    ummmm... how does being average height give me more room?? Oh - and how can you be 'very quiet people' if Terry's singing is "loud"???

    I don't think this would bring "smiles" to ME!

    moving on . . .

    Kelly

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Kelly G.:
    I am often looking for a good roommate - they are soooo are to find. I have a small, SFH 3 bdrm and rent 1 bdrm to 1 person - as the ad clearly states.

    I had a couple reply recently - went on and on about being older "professionals": "We just want to make music and bring smiles to people. Terry has been singing professionally for over 20 years. We are very quiet people.. except for the smiles, laughter and singing. Terry sings online several times a week.. only between 10am and 8pm as he is loud. . . . "

    My reply: "My house is too small for 3 adults; and I am only looking for 1 person. Good luck in your search."

    Their reply: "Terry and I are both under 5'5" if room is needed."

    ummmm... how does being average height give me more room?? Oh - and how can you be 'very quiet people' if Terry's singing is "loud"???

    I don't think this would bring "smiles" to ME!

    moving on . . .

    Kelly

    Wow, they just sound... creepy. And, short.

    I don't rent to musicians. No way. (I'm also in a shared common area setting.)

    I also don't even reply if they say they're a couple. Waste of my time.

    That's funny that they replied "we're 5'5." As if being shorter makes living with 3 people instead of 2 any easier. I get a lot of couples inquiring. I don't bother replying. It's hard to believe couples think "oh, a bills paid room is available... surely they will accept us two people for the price of one." I'm sure some owners do if they're desperate, but two people means twice the noise, the utilities, etc. I'll never understand why a owner/tenant in a roommate setting would accept a couple as tenants. Two for the price of one? Not in my house.

  • Lowell, MA · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    This thread is so good that this long time lurker had to add something.

    I recently bought my first multifamily and needed to evict one tenant for drugs shortly after. I got quite a few applicants immediately and was very green about how to handle the obvious no's.

    First, one lady brought her tape measure and assumed she would get the place. On talking to her she admitted that she lived right across the street, she and her husband were separating and he was going to stay at the house and they would keep operating their small daycare. She couldn't verify any of the income that she made from this supposed daycare though.

    Next, a couple walked in and negatively critiqued the whole place. Sure the floors could be redone and appliances updated but I could tell the reponse to the unit was good so it couldn't be that bad. Afterwards they said they were interested and I realized they were just setting me up for a "can you lower the rent" situation.

    Finally, while the apartment was still on the market I thought I found a really good candidate. One of the other tenants had called the fire department for a faulty smoke alarm and when I got over there a few minutes later the fire chief said that one of the firefighters was a great guy and looking to move closer to the city. I set up an appt for the next day so I could go over the application and he only filled out a few parts. He then asked if I would be calling his current landlord. I said yes and he came clean that he hadn't told his wife about this and didn't want her to know but the landlord was her friend. Through other tidbits I am certain he was just getting himself a 'singles' pad on the side.

    Funny thing is that I ended up getting good tenants there but I realized that it's better to wait for the good ones than the first person that shows up saying "I'll take it".

  • Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 44 votes
    13y

    I've been enjoying this thread and I'm happy to have something to add now.

    Me: Hi, this is Fran, I'm returning your call about my place for rent. Do you have any questions that I could answer for you?
    Caller: Yes. Which place was yours again?
    Me: (stifling a laugh) The 3 BR house in Conshohocken (suburb of Philly).
    Caller: Oh yes. My job is in Northern Liberties (area of Philly), do you know how long it would take to get there?
    Me: (trying hard not to laugh) At rush hour in a car, it will probably take you about an hour.
    Caller: Oh... do you have anything for rent in Northern Liberties?
    Me: (laughing out loud now) No, I don't. Sorry.
    Caller: I don't remember which place yours was again. I think I saw it on realtor.com
    Me: My place is only listed on craigslist.
    Caller: Are you sure?
    Me: Yes. Quite.
    Caller: I don't really remember calling you....
    Me: When you left the voice mail you prounounced my town as Con-sha-La-la-locken. My wife and I (and some co-workers) had a good laugh, perhaps that helps to jog your memory?
    Caller: Not really. When I get home from work, I'm going to try to figure out which place was yours and call you back.
    Me: OK. I look forward to hearing from you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.