Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,400 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    13y

    Someone replied to a craigslist ad and asked " Do you rent to dogs? "

    I had to reply , my answer " I dont care how ugly you are "

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    And then there was the potential tenant that called at 10pm and I didn't answer the phone - was a New Orleans area code in Atlanta, so it stuck out. Called back at 11pm, still didn't answer. Called back at midnight and left a slurred message about wanting to rent one of my houses.

    Heck, if they start of that inconsiderate there's no way they'll get better. Of course I didn't call him back.

    He called me every night for the next few nights, messages were getting progressively angrier.

    I'm glad I decided to turn off my phone for a few nights, after the 2nd night.....

    Or there are the people that call at 7am. Do they really think that this is the way to give a good impression?

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Michaela Graham:
    And then there was the potential tenant that called at 10pm and I didn't answer the phone - was a New Orleans area code in Atlanta, so it stuck out. Called back at 11pm, still didn't answer. Called back at midnight and left a slurred message about wanting to rent one of my houses.

    Heck, if they start of that inconsiderate there's no way they'll get better. Of course I didn't call him back.

    He called me every night for the next few nights, messages were getting progressively angrier.

    I'm glad I decided to turn off my phone for a few nights, after the 2nd night.....

    Or there are the people that call at 7am. Do they really think that this is the way to give a good impression?

    I have a cell phone that I use for my business and set it to silent when I'm done for the day. It amazes me how many of these people will call at 1 or 2 in the morning. As if someone is going to pick up the phone and answer all of their stupid questions at that time. I always call the people back when I wake up at 6 or 6:30. It's fun to act aloof and say that I see I missed your call "a little while ago". Sometimes they will get all angry and say they were sleeping and I woke them up. I usually play dumb and ask if they were taking a nap. Sometimes I will say it's time to get up and go to work.

    This is why you see so many ads on CL stating not to call after a certain hour. Some people just have no common sense and think they can call about something at 3am. They must think everyone else is nocturnal like they are.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 78 votes
    13y

    This is a GREAT post. Good entertainment value.

    My favorites always seem to stem around them making at least 3 times the amount of rent or the pets they choose to have as a RENTER.

    No, you can not move into my $500/mth duplex when you only bring in $1000 per month in income. No exceptions!! No, I will not rent to you and your two pit bulls...or you, your bull massive and your lab.

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 294 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    Text: I have 5 pits. Is that OK?

    Similar story: Need 3X the amount of rent and have a no pet policy.

    Him: I make good money.

    Me: Where do you work?

    Him: I'm a Pit Maker.

    Me: You mean barbecue pits (I'm here in Texas so it made sense)?

    Him: Naw brother... Lol. Naw Pitbulls. I own a couple of b@÷$#%!! I pay to have them popped off by my boyz studs.

    Me: (Silient for a moment). Yeeeaaahhh, it sounds like a cool business but I'm going to have to pass.

    Him: Come on man, I'll get you 3 months rent and deposit tomorrow.

    Me: (thinking to myself, not worth it, this guy's going to shred my property to pieces) - Again I appreciate the call but we don't accept pets and still need verifiable income.

    Him: (hung up)

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    And it's idiots like him that keep breeding Pit Bulls when there are already so many that are in shelters not getting good homes or are abused/left alone tied up somewhere. Sorry it's an off topic rant, but I have one Pit and she was in the shelter for 6 months after coming out of a bad situation. No one would adopt her because of her breed, but she's been such a joy to have as a part of our family. And as a shelter volunteer, I see so many other homeless Pits that just want love and attention. Then you have idiots like this guy who talked to @Henry M. making the problem worse. He has no idea about proper breeding. Okay...back to real estate! lol

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    I have a good one today.

    Caller said I want to ask you about the the property for rent, can you tell me more about it?

    I said sure and gave her a brief overview but then I asked her where she found out about the property.

    She said she saw a sign with my phone number. I said OK, next to the sign is a box containing some single sheet flyers with some detail information.

    "Oooo I see it now".

    She went on to ask me "could you tell me what's on that flyer so I can decide if it's worth it to get out of my car to go get it?"

    I told her it has all the basic information, how many bed, bath, square footage, a few pictures, restrictions and a floor plan showing room dimensions and exact layout, and a QR code and link pointing to a website with many more full size pictures.

    "Oooo but you are asking 1100 a month?"

    I said yes, and I said 2/1s in that neighborhood ranges from 895 to 1250 depending on many factors.

    "Now I just called another place they have a 1/1 renting for 750 so you are not being truthful."

    I asked her where, she told me.

    I said 15th Avenue is a through street. EVERYONE driving through Riverside Park comes in through 15th Avenue. We are one block from the river on a deadend. It's a 2/1 and not a 1/1. Location does matter.

    She said she will get out of the car now to get my sheet. I told me to call me back if she needs further assistance. Not even going to bother to answer if she called back. I don't need someone calling me at midnight asking if it's worth it for her to reach out to the toilet paper on the wall.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Don Konipol:

    The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee!

    Can you give a post 2 votes?

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Well, you've motivated me to post again! This just happened in November last year. Tenant calls to say he has ruined the carpeting while having a party, and would I replace the carpeting. Also says his lease is up December 31, and won't be renewing. I tell him I will wait till he moves out to replace the carpeting. He tells me that would be too late; if he moves out with the carpeting ruined he will lose his security deposit. This guy actually thought if I replace a carpet he ruins before he moves out he is not liable for the damage!

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    not sure if i mentioned this one... a few months ago the tenant called and said there is some moisture/water dripping from the kitchen cabinet under the sink.

    i went there and saw the entire inside of the cabinet is wet. it's been dripping for some time. i asked her why she did not call me earlier and she said, "I never use this cabinet". when i looked around, half of the kitchen cabinets were empty.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @George P.:
    not sure if i mentioned this one... a few months ago the tenant called and said there is some moisture/water dripping from the kitchen cabinet under the sink.

    i went there and saw the entire inside of the cabinet is wet. it's been dripping for some time. i asked her why she did not call me earlier and she said, "I never use this cabinet". when i looked around, half of the kitchen cabinets were empty.

    I have one tenant who has a stove but not a fridge. Last time I was there they were going out to eat.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    This one caught me so off guard I had to think how to answer it.

    Applicant on the phone: "I saw your ad and I just wanted to ask you, and I am not racist or anything but are there black guys in the building I am a tiny white girl".

    I started to think could this be some "mystery renter" from NAACP or whatever? I said we rent to all races all religions all sexes as long as they pass the screening and have clean background".

  • Real Estate Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2012 · 480 posts · 116 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ryan B.:
    "Your paper says you don't take felons. Who exactly do you consider a felon?"
    "So what counties do you do a background check in?"

    "Can my DUI ticket count as ID?"

    "It says small dogs allowed, so can I bring my pitbull puppy?"

    "Is it cool if I park my Harley in the living room at night?"

    "Do you know if there is an elementary school within 1000 feet of here?"

    "Why are you looking at me like I said something stupid?"

    We allow small dogs but we also hear - can I bring my 'x' dog that is a puppy? We plan to move out before he gets to be 'x' pounds. Give me a break!

    We also don't allow puppies for obvious reasons, but I can't believe the ridiculous statements prospective tenants make.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Good answer.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    How often does this happen to you?

    Post an add like this on craigs list

    2 bed 1 bath

    No section 8

    No pets

    50% of your calls look like this

    Tenant: do you take section 8?

    or

    Tenant: well I just have a cat

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    12y

    @James Wise Did you clarify what the cat was for? You should have asked if the cat was food, because the ad clearly states that there's no pets.

  • Investor · Delaware, OH · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @James Wise - Congrats on your 100th post!

    We get the cat thing too. Several people have been downright BAFFLED that we include "cats" in the no pet category.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    I dont consider him a "pet " , he is a member of my family . I have gotten this 2 or 3 times

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Today's contribution; we're advertising a 2/2 condo with a very detailed ad on craigslist.

    Caller: I'm calling about the condo, can you tell me more about it? (I hear this a lot, and know it's going nowhere fast)

    Me: What would you like to know?

    Caller: Well....what area code am I calling?

    Me: New Jersey

    Caller: Are you familiar with south Florida?
    Me: I hope so, I own the property

    Caller: I'm calling for a friend, doing him a favor. I'm a licensed realtor, but I'm not using my license right now, just calling for a friend.

    Me: Why isn't he calling?

    Caller: I told you, I'm doing him a favor - he works!

    Me: Well, so do I!
    Caller: He needs to move in by Feb. 1.

    Me: The ad says it's not available until March 1.

    Caller: Oh no, that won't work.

    Me: It sure won't, thank you for calling!

    Sometimes these conversations can be a nice break from work ;)

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Well, sometimes, i'm glad to hear when someone at least asks an honest question about "are you 420 friendly?"

    Because sometimes, there would be tenants who wouldn't even ask that, and in a month or two, neighbors complaint of a marijuana smoke coming thru their windows.

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    12y

    A mother and son come out to look at a unit I have for rent. The mother wants to apply for her son, but we tell her we have to run a background check on the person actually living there (Duh!). The application fee is $40, non-refundable, and we check for past evictions and criminal history. They pay it, we run the check, he's got 2 evictions, a list of priors, and jail time. Did they think we weren't going to find that stuff? The mother begs to give her son a chance. Not in my building.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    How often does this happen to you?

    Post an add like this on craigs list

    2 bed 1 bath

    No section 8

    No pets

    50% of your calls look like this

    Tenant: do you take section 8?

    or

    Tenant: well I just have a cat

    Ugh.

    I get that a lot too.

    Tenant: "I know your ad says NO PETS, but I have a dog..."

    Me: "Then why are you here?

  • Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2013 · 109 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I had some one hand me a crumpled up piece of paper that was from their boss, used for proof of income. As I opened the hand written letter their was a ketchup stain down the center of the page. I said "what is this?" They replied "oh don't mind that, it's ketchup from lunch".

    Needles to say they didn't get the appartment.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    ME: Have you ever been evicted? HE: Yeah, gobs of times. [The county unlawful detainer book lists 7 evictions in the past 5 years.] ME: Thank you for your honesty, but you don't meet our minimum criteria. HE: Okay! [Cheerfully said.]

    ME: Do you have any pets or animals? [We have a no pet policy and her email address is junglebus@..... and internet social media mentions her living in bus with various exotic animals] SHE: Yes. Two dogs, but they are service animals. ME: We welcome bonafide service animals for people with qualified disabilities. We have a verification process. SHE: Well, one of them is too old now and I won't be keeping it, but I think I can probably get the other one certified. Oh, and would you accept a service snake? [We finish the screening interview and she gets annoyed by our criteria and ends with...] SHE: You are missing out on a really good tenant!

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    "service snake"... lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.