Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,407 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    since all mine are in the same city, i dont even try to homestead. they check and let me know immediately..

  • Property Manager · Big Bear Lake, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 330 votes
    13y

    Guy shows up to see a rental at 9 am, reeking of marijuana and had bloodshot eyes. Said he worked for a medical marijuana place and gave me some guy's cell number as an employer reference. Said his last landlord died recently so there was no one to call.

    Told me all about the large vegetable garden he wanted to grow in the backyard. Vegetables, yeah right.

    Um...no.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes
    13y

    Applicant shows up to view house and says she wants it 5 min into tour. As she hands over application I get this story.

    Female applicant: "I have a felony change from 3 years ago but it was for drugs my old boyfriend had, I was just in the car with him. My current boyfriend and I want to rent the house for us and my 3 kids. My sister is insane and is kicking us out of her house."

    I take app and run background. The current boyfriend is on probation for assault on his current wife. There is a restraining order filed by the wife.

    I call the lady to deny the application and she gets upset and tells me that it's discrimination. I tell her that discrimination against criminals is perfectly legal. (She was not a minority by the way, no idea about the bf).

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    I had a young lady apply with her bf for one of my apts. It's a 2 bedroom. She first told me on the phone that she had 1 kid. Then when we met in person to tour the place, she had 2 kids. Later on in that same visit she mentioned a 3rd child. I asked "so, how many children do you have?" She said 3 kids, but her 10 year old had said he wanted to stay in NC with his grandmother and she would let him if he wanted to. Yeah...sure....first, you let your 10 year old choose where he wants to live? Second, why won't I be surprised when the kid "changes his mind" and moves in with you....5 people in a 2 bedroom isn't legal. Next!

  • Gavin WelchPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2011 · 305 posts · 181 votes
    13y
    Renovated a rental house and a guy knocked on the door while I was there and asked to walk through. I let him.. He walked through and said "I really like the house, it's in great shape. How much is the rent and deposit?" I told him. He responded " I'll give you $$". Which was about half of what I was asked.. My response.... Perhaps your mistaken.. This is NOT a negotiation.. Would you like an application?
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Me: Rent is $2000 a month.

    Tenant-Wannabee: Oh great I can afford that.

    Me: There is a $50 rental application fee.

    Tenant-Wannabee: Oh, that's too expensive.

    Me: [HANG UP THE PHONE]

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I had a guy call yesterday who asked what my requirements are. Nine times out of ten, people who ask this are losers and have been rejected over and over. I told him my main requirement is that he makes at least three times the rent. He shouted, "WHY DO ALL YOU GUYS REQUIRE THREE TIMES? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT PEOPLE LIVE CHECK TO CHECK?" He then hung up.

    I guess he gets paid weekly.........very weakly.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    i had one recently... it was bizzare, i can't even explain it. she was an interpreter in seattle, just moved to michigan. arab woman, heavy accent. pay was $8.25/hr, but husband had lived here and was making 65k yearly.

    she had a realtor and wanted to give me money on the spot in order to start cleaning before her husband came from seattle with the move in truck. we said no, contact our agent.

    3 days later they meet my agent and he is like "where is the husband? let me get a copy of your DL". gets a copy of the DL and she has a burka (head scarf) on the DL picture, and no burka in real life. he said he could not tell who's on that picture.... my agent and i passed. too many red flags with this one.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Had a guy look at a house this morning. He was wearing a T-shirt that said, "Women, Money, and Weed is all I Need!"

    Good thing he doesn't "need" shelter, because he won't be renting from me!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    13y
    Rob,

    I disagree with you. Just because someone asked you what your requirements do not make them a loser. Let's say you walk on a car dealer's lot, and the salesman ask you what your fico is does that make the car dealer a loser.


    Joe Gore
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    13y

    George,

    Did you not approve her base on the DL?

    Joe Gore

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Had a sister call for an apartment for her little brother. They both came and the brother didn't say a word - his sister did all the talking for him. They filled out an application and I found his facebook profile, which showed him with his homies, with guns, throwing up gang signs.

    Next......

    I'm amazed how nice some of you are and are still taking their applications, when you know that you're not going to accept them. I'm just plain rude and tell them that I won't rent to them. if they've been evicted or don't have a job or whatever

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    joe, no... the DL had almost nothing to do with my decision. the biggest part was the fact that the husband was missing from the picture and he was the main factor on the application.

    we ended up waiting another ~25 days but have a great tenant that just moved in. i lost quite a bit of money not having it rented ($1,200 for realtors and $1200 rent loss for 1 month), but i think i avoided headaches in the future.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    13y

    @Michaela G. - I have taken to asking them, not if they've been evicted but if their landlord has ever taken them to court to get the rent. *sigh*

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Joe Gore:
    Rob,


    I disagree with you. Just because someone asked you what your requirements do not make them a loser. Let's say you walk on a car dealer's lot, and the salesman ask you what your fico is does that make the car dealer a loser.


    Joe Gore

    I said that 90% of the time they are unqualified. One in 10 is asking to make sure they're qualified.

    If a car dealer asked me what my credit score is, I would tell him it's none of his business. I would never finance a car. Not sure it would make him a loser, but it would be pretty stupid to ask someone their credit score if you don't already know that they need financing.

  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    13y

    I Love this thread!

    Me: Do you have a heads-up for me on your criminal background?

    Her: I have a felony.

    Me: What for?

    Her: I accidentally stabbed my boyfriend - twice.

    Another one: I get back from a showing and I have a voicemail that says,

    "I've been on the internet all day looking for your phone number but I can't find it... call me"

    OR

    Me: Why are you moving out of your current place?

    Him: The management is asking me to leave.

    Me: Why is that?

    Him: We don't know how, but someone keeps breaking in to my place and $#ittin@ all over everything.

    (Coincidentally, he showed up to the viewing without a shirt on.)

    AND

    Me: What's your income?

    Him: I get full SSDI, 1274 a month

    Me: That's not enough to qualify, what is your disability payment for?

    Him: bi-polar disorder. And, it's ok cause I work cash on the side.

    AGAIN

    Me: What's your income?

    Him: I think I'm going to get unemployment, but till then I got cash on the side

    Me: Do you have a heads up on your criminal background check?

    Him: What do you mean, felonies? Nothing serious, I got busted smuggling aliens once

    LASTLY

    Me: Hi, I'm returning your voicemail about my 1BR for rent at 123 A St.

    Him: Where is the apartment?

    Me: 123 A St.

    Him: Is it a 1BR?

    Me: yes

    UNBELIEVABLE........

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    13y
    Rob,

    I went with a friend who looking forward to renting a home that was listed on Craigslist, and the home owner asked the questions and the home owner was happy with the answers, and I step in and ask the home owner was he the owner of the home and was the home in foreclosure or behind on payments, and the home owner came unglued and said I had no right to ask those questions, and my response is that I have just much right with all the scams going on. He deleted the post on Craigslist. I think the renter should know if they are dealing with the home owner and ask for the home owner's ID just in case the home owner is trying to pull something. I am sure all legit landlords would agree.


    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    @Account Closed - I will have a copy of a current rental license for the unit with me at showings, just for this reason; company owned real estate won't show that my ID matches the owner name, now would it ...

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    Had a guy look at a house this morning. He was wearing a T-shirt that said, "Women, Money, and Weed is all I Need!"

    Good thing he doesn't "need" shelter, because he won't be renting from me!

    I need one of those shirts !!!!

  • Residential Landlord · Greenfield, WI · Member since 2013 · 299 posts · 126 votes
    13y

    Phone call:

    Me: Do you have a job?

    Applicant: No, but I could get one.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    13y

    I used to sell a lot of my houses with owner-financing. Not "rentals", but I still had to take an application, so it was similar. I would often get a call like this:

    "Hey, I seen your ad on the internet. Me and my boyfriend need at least 4 bedrooms and 2 baths cause he just got custody of his kids. And we need 5 acres and a barn and water. It's got to be runnin' water, not no stinkin pond. It needs to be fenced and cross-fenced cause we got horses. And it needs to be under $100,000 with owner-financing cause we ain't got no money."

    Another one that I would often get goes something like this:

    Applicant: "We want to buy (or rent) the house that you got".

    Me: Good, where do you work?

    Them: We don't have a job yet, but we'll be moving to your town next week.

    Me: You know, most people get the job first, and then move. I can't rent to you without verifying your income.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Besides our LLC's rentals, we also rent out bedrooms in our personal house. A prospect roommate looked at the place and met us....liked it. He texted me later saying he wanted to read over the lease before getting together to actually sign. I sent a blank copy to him...no problem there.

    But then he texts back later and says he read the lease and that he finds it very "strict" and has always dealt with much "friendlier" leases and that he doesn't have problems not paying rent or damaging property. A few mins later, tries to back pedal and says "i'm okay with it though. i just want my security deposit back whenever i leave assuming there's no damage and i'm financially good".

    Our lease is just a standard lease....I'm not sure what he finds strict about it. I'm sorry, I'm not letting anyone move into (especially) my own house without signing something. Other things he said give off red flags as well....

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I had two people apply at my current rental who did not have jobs. One was living in her car because she moved from Chicago. No job, no current address. But she said she gets SSI.

    Another one who applied has a husband who works at Wendy's for $7.50 per hour. But she didn't want to give me his name.

    You could seriously write a book on this stuff.

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    13y

    Where to start... I don't deal with the tenants directly, but I get the stories from the property manager, or have to deal with the fallout.

    I took over a 44 unit complex a year ago and found out I had a tenant who like to come home at night and shoot his 44 cal into the air to let everyone know he was home. Also parked his scooter (yes, this bad boy traveled by scooter) in the hallway. Evicted.

    Had a tenant tell the local Section 8 organization (who shall remain nameless to protect the stupid) that they moved out on Oct 31, but stayed in the unit until I finally got them out in eviction court mid-December. Section 8 clawed back all their payments for Nov and Dec and claimed the tenant had moved out in Oct. Even when I submitted copies of the court eviction docs, they still claimed the tenant was out at the end of Oct. My forehead is still bleeding from hitting it against the wall.

    3 months into a new lease, tenant starts a kitchen fire (unattended frying pan), and I kindly move her into a vacant unit while I fix hers. Unit is 100% subsidized by an unnamed organization (to protect the criminal actions). Inspector for said organization gives us until the end of the month to repair the unit and get the tenant back in. Calls 1 week later to say he has given the tenant a voucher to move into a new building and will not reinspect. He told tenant she could skip on her lease. He would not return our calls. When we complained to a supervisor, they wouldn't do anything about it. Said we failed to get the unit inspected in time. It took several calls and emails to explain that we did meet the deadline but the inspector refused to do the inspection. Eventually got an extra months rent out of them, but I am out 3 months rent and the rehab work. Funny thing is, a new tenant is lined up to take over the unit and is subsidized by the same organization. I let the property manager know that if the same inspector showed up to kick his *** off the property.

    Currently have a tenant behind on rent and just decided that they weren't going to catch up as promised and would squat until we evicted her. OK, if she wants that on her record I will oblige. Papers filed.

    Had another Section 8 tenant renew the their lease, then found out her husband was stealing metal from the property. Really? Couldn't go next door? Had to take it from where you live? Wife wasn't aware and was really pissed when she got the eviction notice. Lost their Section 8 voucher too.

    Recently closed on a 38 unit building that used to be a LIHTC building so all of the tenants paid sub-market rents based on their income. Funny how we have tenants with Escalades and more home theater equipment than most people I know. We've upped the rent twice already and no one has left yet.

    Time to get back to work.

    Keep the entertainment coming people!!!

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    this happened to a buddy that has 6 houses. his tenant stopped paying because she was going to hospital soon. she told him "please evict me so that i can get state help. put ALL fees in there. the larger the amount, the more i will get".

    he took her to court, they told her to get out. she files papers with the state and the state says "no, not giving you anything. you make too much". she calls my buddy back and says "i dont agree with most of the fees you have added in there. when we go to court for the second time, i will tell the judge". he told her "oh, we already went to court. there's no second time".

    the same day Rent-A-Center is calling him to see what her status is with the house because she has ordered new furniture..

    lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.