Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,660 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I received a call yesterday about a house that I have for rent. One of the first things that I ask is, "When are you planning to move?"

    His response was, "August 1."

    I asked him if he was planning to pay rent between now and then or if I should just hold the house for free.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    12y

    @Aly W. I don't think I have ever had a call like that, but I have heard other landlords say they have.

    I was amazed (read: jealous) of the comments here about rejecting prospectives based on being unemployed, even though they're getting unemployment checks. In CA, you can't discriminate based on source of income, so if their total income meets your minimum requirement, you can't deny them for that. At least that is what I have read in articles in the apartment magazines like AOA.

    We don't plan on buying any more rentals in CA, btw. We've already bought a couple in AZ.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    12y

    @Rob K. wow, classic! Some people, huh?

    Btw, love your account photo!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rob K.:
    I received a call yesterday about a house that I have for rent. One of the first things that I ask is, "When are you planning to move?"

    His response was, "August 1."

    I asked him if he was planning to pay rent between now and then or if I should just hold the house for free.

    The other side of this "when are you planning to move?," coin is, they say "tomorrow," or even "today." Yeah, I've been told both.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Rob K. , I just had an email like that today - the woman said her lease is up in July but she loved the images on craigslist. I told her to keep watching craigslist and get back to me in July if it's still up there.

    @Kimberly T. , I've had tenants say they're unemployed...period. No income at all, but they *plan* to find a job once they find a place to live. They don't want to rush into a job they may not like. I always laugh at that one.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    12y

    I had a fun one today... A nice 3/1 duplex... Two cars pull up. I don't know how many people tumbled out but it was... A lot. At least 6 women/girls and 4 men/boys... Maybe 5 now that I think about it...

    The mom-in-charge LOVES! the house... and says something like "I have the four girls and twin boys and of course him (the husband?) and my mom will be staying with us.... ". I say, " well, we do limit occupancy to two per bedroom so I don't think this is going to work for you" and SHE says "well, let me see how I can work this out... I can get rid of some of the kids..." No, I'm not making this up.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    That tenant texted today and said.. "I made a new friend today". then attached a picture of her feeding a squirrel.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Deborah Burian:
    I had a fun one today... A nice 3/1 duplex... Two cars pull up. I don't know how many people tumbled out but it was... A lot. At least 6 women/girls and 4 men/boys... Maybe 5 now that I think about it...

    The mom-in-charge LOVES! the house... and says something like "I have the four girls and twin boys and of course him (the husband?) and my mom will be staying with us.... ". I say, " well, we do limit occupancy to two per bedroom so I don't think this is going to work for you" and SHE says "well, let me see how I can work this out... I can get rid of some of the kids..." No, I'm not making this up.

    "I can put 2 in the kitchen, 2 in the bathrooms, 2 in the..."

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    If you haven't seen the movie "Idiocracy", please watch it. It's not only hilarious, but it shows the type of people that you will deal with in Class C areas. When I hear these stories in this thread, I think of characters from the movie.

    Why come you don't have a tatoo?...........

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    12y

    @Rob K. , except we don't de class C. We stick to A/B... It's actually the larger homes where we see the crazies. They have, erm... unique family structures

  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    12y

    @Aly W. wow, you just have to laugh, I guess.

    I remembered one applicant we had, my husband took their application from them. Total gross income listed was something like $950/month. We were asking $1,275 for the rent. Umm, denied...

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Good one @Kimberly T. ! Did they say how they plan to come up with the rest, or did you not bother to go there ;)

    I had a tenant call for our $1100 a month unit and say she could only afford $1000 a month. I politely suggested she should be looking for $1000 a month rentals.

    How often is everyone asked to lower the rent? I estimate one out of a dozen callers will ask.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @George P.:
    That tenant texted today and said.. "I made a new friend today". then attached a picture of her feeding a squirrel.

    I laughed way too hard at this lmao

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    This is one of my favorite threads. Makes a busy day a bit better

  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    12y

    @Aly W. I can't remember now, we probably joked that they planned on subletting the living room or something.

    I'd say somewhere around 5% to 15% ask about negotiating the rent, deposit, or both. I haven't tried to keep track, but that might be an interesting statistic to track next time. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    Email

    1 bed right,,, how many bathrooms? ,,,listed at $625,,, can I rent for 425 and no security,,,, lost my unemploy check last year,,, government does not enjoy me,,, small cat,,, 2 ferrets,,, small child too

    Yikes.

    Call about the same place

    Me: hello

    $625 for the 1 bed in Rutland right?

    Yes.

    Is that per month?

    Yes, $625 per month. First, last and security due at signing.

    How are you getting so much to move in? That is robbery.

    (Explain concept of last and security deposit )

    Him: oh, not too bad. That isn't too bad.

    Are you interested in seeing the place?

    Oh, no, I've never seen $1800 in one place before in my life. Sounds like a great apartment though. Do you take dogs?

    Me: nope, thanks for the call.

    Wait, wait. If you can take my dog I can rent the place starting tomorrow.

    You just said you don't have $1875 to move in.

    No, I don't. You were serious about all that??

    (Click)

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Great one @Aaron Montague

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    12y

    This one unit we have seems to attract the potential tenants that have given my PM some of our favorite lines like: "No, I don't have anything on my background" (3 eviction + Criminal shows up on check), and "Yes, I don't have anything on the criminal side..." (then background check results come in)... oh wait, yeah there was that 'regular assault a few years back'".

    Don't know why they don't think we'll find this stuff. The funny part is they pay the $40 application fee we charge knowing we'll do the check.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    I lost it today.... After my 5th call on a SFH with the same question " are utilities included ?" I went off " Of course utilities are included , we pay all your electric , pay per view cable , I restock your refrigerator and food once a week , I wash and fold your laundry , and i will even fill up your gas tank every week . " There was a short bit of silence ............... and they said " when can I see it ?" LOOK , when you drive a car you pay for the gas , when you go out to eat you pay for the food , when you rent a house you pay for the utilities , AND you cut the grass , rake the leaves , and shovel the drive . If you want a cheap place to live move back in with your parents. ....................... They hung up , I cant understand why?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:
    I lost it today.... After my 5th call on a SFH with the same question " are utilities included ?" I went off " Of course utilities are included , we pay all your electric , pay per view cable , I restock your refrigerator and food once a week , I wash and fold your laundry , and i will even fill up your gas tank every week . " There was a short bit of silence ............... and they said " when can I see it ?" LOOK , when you drive a car you pay for the gas , when you go out to eat you pay for the food , when you rent a house you pay for the utilities , AND you cut the grass , rake the leaves , and shovel the drive . If you want a cheap place to live move back in with your parents. ....................... They hung up , I cant understand why?

    Somewhere there's a thread, probably on Reddit, called "Crazy things landlords say."

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    the squirrel tenant JUST texted (11:30pm) and writes:

    "April 1st is a Tue. I think APRIL FOOLS D..SOUNDS GOODAY. ahh wkends, arent they best. SUN"

    my wife said i have a look on my face similar to this cat:

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    "April 1st is a Tue. I think APRIL FOOLS D..SOUNDS GOODAY. ahh wkends, arent they best. SUN"

    Google translate must be broken. Can't quite decipher.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 32 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joe M.:

    "I'm looking for a place for me and my baby's daddy for when he gets out of jail"

    "If I give you a deposit now can you hold this place until May?" (This was in January)

    Classic

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @George P. I don't think I understand your tenant's texts. What does that mean about April Fools Day being on Tuesday? And why did she text you a pic of her feeding a squirrel saying she made a new friend? Perhaps she doesn't text well and thinks she's sending them to a friend rather than you?

  • Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 22 votes
    12y

    Great thread! These are the reasons I love my Florida property manager. In NY I still get to deal with these questions. Showed 1 bedroom apartment last night to a couple with one kid and another on the way. Kid was running around like a mental patient...playing with my drill (still in case but he could squeeze trigger to turn on), playing with stud finder, climbing step ladder, etc. Mom and boyfriend were clueless.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.