Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,668 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:
    @George P. I don't think I understand your tenant's texts. What does that mean about April Fools Day being on Tuesday? And why did she text you a pic of her feeding a squirrel saying she made a new friend? Perhaps she doesn't text well and thinks she's sending them to a friend rather than you?

    @Nicole A. , i dont understand them either. and yes, she knows who she sends them to since she addresses my wife in each text. The mistake my realtor made is telling her that my wife and I own the house... i had asked him to tell that we are only the PM's, but he does not listen very well.

  • Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @ George P.

    I think in sending you a pic of her new squirrel friend, your tenant was indirectly saying that she loves the home and plans to stay. It might not be something you would do if you were in her place, by I read it as a very positive sign.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:
    "April 1st is a Tue. I think APRIL FOOLS D..SOUNDS GOODAY. ahh wkends, arent they best. SUN"

    Google translate must be broken. Can't quite decipher.

    "Tenant speak" is not an official language that Google would support ... :)

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @George P.:
    the squirrel tenant JUST texted (11:30pm) and writes:

    "April 1st is a Tue. I think APRIL FOOLS D..SOUNDS GOODAY. ahh wkends, arent they best. SUN"

    my wife said i have a look on my face similar to this cat:

    It might be time to do some limit-setting with this tenant... If she like wee critters so much,maybe @ Brandon Turner will take her calls...

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 32 votes
    12y

    @Deborah Burian lol. That cat's helmet tells me he means business.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Deborah Burian:

    It might be time to do some limit-setting with this tenant... If she like wee critters so much,maybe @ Brandon Turner will take her calls...

    @Brandon Turner hahahaha, I finally got Brandon tagged!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Ha @Deborah B. not quite - it didn't work! Try again :)

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    And now it didn't work for me! @Deborah Burian

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @K. Bailey:
    @ George P.

    I think in sending you a pic of her new squirrel friend, your tenant was indirectly saying that she loves the home and plans to stay. It might not be something you would do if you were in her place, by I read it as a very positive sign.

    I am surprised you picked that up... She constantly talks about how much she likes the house...

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    " I will prayerfully be your next tenant"
  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    12y

    Today, via email "I have experienced construction, electrical, plumbing. I will be the guy that leaves your unit in better shape than I found it."

    Uhhh, if my unit wasn't in great shape already I wouldn't be renting it.

  • Nyack, NY · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    I can't pay the security deposit or first month rent, only one of them but I'll pay when I get the money. I am a pastor so you can trust me. My stepdaughter is a recovering addict and will be living with me.

  • Summit , IL · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    An applicant for a unit a while back once said that she worked for a cleaning service, and I remembered thinking that the amount on her paycheck was unusually high for a cleaning person. After receiving the application, I did a google search of the applicant's name and found her public facebook page. One of her posts from a few days before was "These stupid apartments need so much money, how can I fake a paystub" with responses to different websites. Didn't need to call the "employer" after that lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 140 votes
    12y

    Funny topic! :) but i got a serious question:

    Many of you said you have an "appointment" to show your place.

    Why would you do appointments?

    We did that years ago, and half of the time the applicants were no-shows. So now we don't do appointments just have a "showing hour" Saturday say between 1-2 or 2-3 and that is it. Between the few flakes with have the good prospect come too! Repeat this once, twice or as need it, and bannng the place is rented. Why goof around with "appointments" ?

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Sadim M.:
    An applicant for a unit a while back once said that she worked for a cleaning service, and I remembered thinking that the amount on her paycheck was unusually high for a cleaning person. After receiving the application, I did a google search of the applicant's name and found her public facebook page. One of her posts from a few days before was "These stupid apartments need so much money, how can I fake a paystub" with responses to different websites. Didn't need to call the "employer" after that lol.

    Wowwww lol

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Sadim M.:
    An applicant for a unit a while back once said that she worked for a cleaning service, and I remembered thinking that the amount on her paycheck was unusually high for a cleaning person. After receiving the application, I did a google search of the applicant's name and found her public facebook page. One of her posts from a few days before was "These stupid apartments need so much money, how can I fake a paystub" with responses to different websites. Didn't need to call the "employer" after that lol.

    Good heads up. Need to verify beyond paystubs.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Val Csontos:
    Funny topic! :) but i got a serious question:

    Many of you said you have an "appointment" to show your place.

    Why would you do appointments?

    We did that years ago, and half of the time the applicants were no-shows. So now we don't do appointments just have a "showing hour" Saturday say between 1-2 or 2-3 and that is it. Between the few flakes with have the good prospect come too! Repeat this once, twice or as need it, and bannng the place is rented. Why goof around with "appointments" ?

    We do appointments because punctuality is part of our screening criteria. We set an appointment, and if the prospective tenant is more than 15 minutes late (without calling to reschedule or let us know they are stuck in traffic), we will not rent to them. Responsible people will arrive around the appointment time, irresponsible people (who I do not want to rent to) will not. It is an indicator of whether they are likely to pay rent on time too.

    Also, setting an appointment and waiting for them to arrive gives us an opportunity to check out their car. If their car is full of trash, we will not rent to them. It is an indicator of how they will maintain my unit.

    We generally avoid the no-show problem by scheduling a few appointments around the same time (say, 2 at 6:00 pm, 2 more at 6:15, 1 at 6:30), so if some do not come, it is not a big deal.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    We have the tenant call half an hour before an appointment, to confirm. If they don't call, my contractor doesn't go. No time wasted.

  • Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 140 votes
    12y

    I understand what you guys are saying how ever that does not change the fact that if you wait for some one and they are flakes, it non of the less is waist of Your time! Our experience shows if some one is secure enough to process an application with the $30 attached to it they are ok(most of the time). If they would like to "take home" an application we never allow that since not one ever came back with it! Bottom line we only show a unit 1-2 hr per week! it works for us.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Today's call for our 2/2 condo in Florida:

    A woman asking if I would rent to someone with no credit. I ask her exactly what she means by that. She said she and her brother would be living there and the lease would need to be in his name. Why? Because he's establishing his credit and she said she has no credit. I ask about a rental history - she said she has none. I told her I couldn't rent to them.

    Later today I looked her up in the Broward County court records, and saw she was evicted in January "with damages". I wish I could have had her on the phone when I saw that.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    the squirrel lady was asking today what happened to the storm door on the side of the house. she wants a storm door, i told her "no". she keeps asking what happened to the door that was there previously. i should have told her "it grew legs and left".

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    @Aly W. - I think she was just pulling an "April Fool" on you :)

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Or whatever landlord agrees to rent to her ;)

  • Investor · Watertown, NY · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I am new to BP, and work through a PM (I am active duty military and move a lot, its easier). These stories are hilarious, and concerning. I appreciate the banter as well as the sage wisdom and advice i am getting both between the lines and blatant. Thanks all!

    Aaron

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    I should never have posted in this forum, I think I cursed myself.

    Today's gem:

    Me: Hello, this is Aaron

    Caller: Are you renting?

    Me: I have an apartment for rent, yes.

    Caller: Cool, cool.

    Me: Are you interested in the place?

    C: Granite counters and sub zero appliances? I hear renters love that stuff.

    M: That they do, but no, this a $500 1 bed/1 bath in Rutland VT.

    C: Does it have a fridge at all?

    M: Yes. The kitchen is fairly new. Are you interested in seeing it?

    C: Yes, I have to get out of here. (landlord sense tingling)

    M: Okay. It is $1500 bucks to move in. First/Last/Security.

    C: Alright, I can do that. I have a full time job and such. (landlord sense dwindling)

    M: Alright, call my property manager, Jack, at 555-555-1212 and set up and appointment. He can show you the place and take your application. Bring your license and social security card or at least the number.

    C: I don't have a license, I'm not old enough to drive in VT. (16 for license)

    M: Oh. Honestly I didn't see that one coming. I can't rent to anyone under 18, it's the law.

    C: Really?

    M: Yeah, sorry.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.