Sister now feels unsafe: Peeping Tom Situation

Sister now feels unsafe: Peeping Tom Situation

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 29 votes

Hi, Looking for advice for my sister to get out of her lease before we contact the landlord again.  Here's the situation:  For the past few weeks, around midnight once or twice a week she thought she heard porn being played by a neighbor very loud and very clear.  She took videos, contacted the landlord, let him know how unsafe and uncomfortable she felt with this going on.  Landlord responded but did not do much or offer much guidance.  Fast forward to last night.  A neighbor next door sees a guy outside her window masturbating and playing porn on his phone.  This is clearly the situation, someone had followed her and was doing this deliberately outside her window.  A police report was filed, they took down all the information, and they think it actually is the same person who had been doing this all over Chicago.  

The unit is a 1st floor studio in a 10-20 unit building in Chicago near Wrigley Field.  

Our goal is to now contact the landlord with a clear and concise request to terminate this lease, as she no longer feels safe there..  She is going to be staying with us until we find her another apartment that is not on the 1st floor or Ground floor.  My brother is a lawyer and has offered to step in, citing clear negligence of safety after multiple requests.  What we are really looking for is guidance on how to best approach the landlord to just have the lease terminated so she can move on past this horrible experience.  Any guidance or thoughts?  

My initial idea is to try to handle it nicely, if he has another building that feels safer and not a ground floor, she would entertain looking at units there to not cause him financial harm.  I don't think in good conscious she would sublease this unit now.  


Thoughts welcome.  
 


0Reply
214 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

There is no negligence here. Property owners have no control over the crimes committed by random people.  This sounds like an urban enviorment, so crime is to be expected. And for kicks, take a look at a map of sex offenders....they are literally everywhere. You will be shocked when you see how many they are and how close to you they are.

Your sister should offer to pay the rent til the landlord can place a new tenant. 

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 416 posts · 396 votes
    7y

    @Jimmy M. I’m glad the situation was resolved.  Hopefully she is able to find a spot on a few floors up!  

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y

    So,  "men are just naturally going to do stalk women,  jerk off in their windows,  invade their privacy, and make them feel unsafe in their own homes---because of DNA.  It's up to women to protects themselves!"   Holy ****ing ****, it's not 1952.  Wise the **** up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
    7y

    When I read stories like this,  I'm thankful that I live in the great state of Texas. Peeping Tom... peeping Tom now has a third eye socket. 🤯

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jimmy M. I couldn't agree more with @Russell Brazil. 

    Clearly, this is an unfortunate situation for all involved. As I'm sure the landlord wouldn't want something like this to happen on his/her property but as we all know we live on an interesting planet with a handful of weirdos. 

    The Landlord may be reasonable when he/she sees the police report filed and let your Sister out of the lease with some sort of concession coming from both parties. It has to be fair for both parties since the situation wasn't caused by either party.

    This is a tricky one!  

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 416 posts · 396 votes
    7y

    @Nancy P. I agree with you.  That was a situation completely out of her control.  

  • FL · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 54 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Jimmy M.:

    Hi, Looking for advice for my sister to get out of her lease before we contact the landlord again.  Here's the situation:  For the past few weeks, around midnight once or twice a week she thought she heard porn being played by a neighbor very loud and very clear.  She took videos, contacted the landlord, let him know how unsafe and uncomfortable she felt with this going on.  Landlord responded but did not do much or offer much guidance.  Fast forward to last night.  A neighbor next door sees a guy outside her window masturbating and playing porn on his phone.  This is clearly the situation, someone had followed her and was doing this deliberately outside her window.  A police report was filed, they took down all the information, and they think it actually is the same person who had been doing this all over Chicago.  

    The unit is a 1st floor studio in a 10-20 unit building in Chicago near Wrigley Field.  

    Our goal is to now contact the landlord with a clear and concise request to terminate this lease, as she no longer feels safe there..  She is going to be staying with us until we find her another apartment that is not on the 1st floor or Ground floor.  My brother is a lawyer and has offered to step in, citing clear negligence of safety after multiple requests.  What we are really looking for is guidance on how to best approach the landlord to just have the lease terminated so she can move on past this horrible experience.  Any guidance or thoughts?  

    My initial idea is to try to handle it nicely, if he has another building that feels safer and not a ground floor, she would entertain looking at units there to not cause him financial harm.  I don't think in good conscious she would sublease this unit now.  


    Thoughts welcome.   

    Damn, your sister seems preoccupied with sex in the neighborhood. I could see how it would be uncomfortable, but how exactly does the neighbor playing pornography in the comfort of his own home next door make her feel "unsafe," as you mentioned? Is she afraid the porn is going to come sneaking through the wall to corrupt her innocence? Or is it a blanket assumption that anyone who could possibly listen to or watch porn in the middle of the night is only a half-step away from violent rape? If that's what your sister thinks, then she must live in a lot of fear.

    I think this is confirmed by the second part of the story. A neighbor sees someone flogging the log outside her window and (horrors!) playing a blue movie on his phone. Again, there's a whole boatload of assumptions here based on this piece of hearsay, a police report is filed, culminating in the certainty that this is some kind of famed and notorious meat-beating serial sexual predator camping outside.

    Your sister is being attacked by X-rated-material-watching monkey-spankers! This "horrible experience" (she listened to a neighbor's story and presumably heard fake moans and groans through a wall, maybe some dirty, dirty talk) is clearly causing her immense psychological harm.

    Come on, Jimmy, let's get to the beef. What's really going on here? Did she take the ground-floor apartment and now wants something nicer in what we all know is a very expensive area? Because this sure as hell sounds like a lot of cheap camouflage for what you're going to go to the landlord of this 20-unit building with, a request to move higher. What, has an apartment opened up on the third or fourth floor of this building, maybe advertised for three hundred bucks a month more than what she's paying now, and she wants to break her lease and get in on the new place on the cheap?

    I'm finding my suspicions confirmed by how the wording here just dances around this possibility so nimbly...I mean..."she would entertain looking at units there..." WTF, really? In the same building with the lurking nefarious committer of the Sin of Onan outside? With the neighbor whose malevolent smut makes her feel unsafe? Is the presence of a flight of stairs or two going to mitigate the dark danger she believes she's in from that source? Will the prospect of climbing a few stairs frost the neighbor's smoldering gonads in his shorts and rob him of his dastardly courage? And what about the lurking serial chicken-choker with his phone raunch? Your sister's still going to have to go in and out of the door of this building every day. Why stay in a structure which holds so many traumatic horrors for her? 

    Absolutely 100% over the line. 

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Clifford Paul:

    When I read stories like this,  I'm thankful that I live in the great state of Texas. Peeping Tom... peeping Tom now has a third eye socket. 🤯

    Years ago while walking the dog in Houston in the early daylight hours was approached by a car.  Naked man emerged,  calmly (while 50 ft. away) informed me he was going to rape me until I was dead.  I had a cell phone and screamed into it at 911.  (If my brain had been working sans caffeine I would have take a photo of him and his license plate!)  He drove off.  This guy had been seen in the neighborhood before at least 3 times.  I was more than a little stunned when the sheriff attended the next neighborhood watch,  and announced that since he had threatened to kill me,  he could be shot on sight.  Three women went out and bought handguns.  Tall men (he was at least 6'3)  stopped running in the neighborhood just in case they would me mistaken for the flasher. As did my husband who is only 6 ft ( they all went to a nearby school and ran on the track).    Probably most effective,  somebody quoted the sheriff on the neighborhood web site.  The dude was never seen in the neighborhood again.  As horrible as he was,  I really didn't want him killed over it.  I mean,  I could have been LYING about what he said,  and someone could have shot him over it!    But that's Texas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nancy P.:
    Originally posted by @Clifford Paul:

    When I read stories like this,  I'm thankful that I live in the great state of Texas. Peeping Tom... peeping Tom now has a third eye socket. 🤯

    Years ago while walking the dog in Houston in the early daylight hours was approached by a car.  Naked man emerged,  calmly (while 50 ft. away) informed me he was going to rape me until I was dead.  I had a cell phone and screamed into it at 911.  (If my brain had been working sans caffeine I would have take a photo of him and his license plate!)  He drove off.  This guy had been seen in the neighborhood before at least 3 times.  I was more than a little stunned when the sheriff attended the next neighborhood watch,  and announced that since he had threatened to kill me,  he could be shot on sight.  Three women went out and bought handguns.  Tall men (he was at least 6'3)  stopped running in the neighborhood just in case they would me mistaken for the flasher. As did my husband who is only 6 ft ( they all went to a nearby school and ran on the track).    Probably most effective,  somebody quoted the sheriff on the neighborhood web site.  The dude was never seen in the neighborhood again.  As horrible as he was,  I really didn't want him killed over it.  I mean,  I could have been LYING about what he said,  and someone could have shot him over it!    But that's Texas.

    Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.

    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

    Nancy, you would have been certainly justified in protecting yourself.  No saine person ever wants to take another's life.  Believe me as a combat veteran it's something that burns at your soul but if a person refuses to protect themselves who's going to do it? When the police are minutes away sometimes it's you or the offender.  I would rather face a jury of 12 than be carried by six.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    More than a decade ago I was in the public library using the computers and this big, very pale, ash-blonde-haired dude sat down next to me in an almost-empty computer room. He was wearing a hat and had his jacket in his lap. So I'm sitting there, working on my resume, and he starts to breathe heavier and heavier. I see one of his hands disappear under the jacket. I got up and went to drink at the water fountain down the hall. As I was leaving, I took a quick look at what was on his screen, and sure enough, it was some kind of gay sex story.

    Now why exactly he sat down next to ME to help get his jollies, I'll never know. But I got up and went to the front desk and explained to the clerk there was a guy in the computer room playing with himself. I went back in with the library manager and pointed him out. Did I reach over and smack him in the head? No. Did I whip out a gun and blow his tallywacker off? No. 

    Because I was able to muster a reasonable response to irrational behavior. Was I disgusted? Sure. Was I outraged? Not really. Was I unsettled? Sure. Frightened for my life? Uh, no.

    This kind of huffing and puffing, pearl-clutching and trigger joy, outraged sensibilities and pursed-lipped self-righteous disgust over a public masturbator, come on. Don't tell me this thread is about public safety and a woman's right to be defended from the dangers of sexual predators. This is about someone who wanted something for nothing (and got it).

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    You really are king of the trolls you arrogant mouth breather.  Situation is very different then a public library.  It was her window.  Got what she wanted?  Nightmares and now the cost and expense of trying to move again.  Go back to your Cheetos in your basement. 

    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    More than a decade ago I was in the public library using the computers and this big, very pale, ash-blonde-haired dude sat down next to me in an almost-empty computer room. He was wearing a hat and had his jacket in his lap. So I'm sitting there, working on my resume, and he starts to breathe heavier and heavier. I see one of his hands disappear under the jacket. I got up and went to drink at the water fountain down the hall. As I was leaving, I took a quick look at what was on his screen, and sure enough, it was some kind of gay sex story.

    Now why exactly he sat down next to ME to help get his jollies, I'll never know. But I got up and went to the front desk and explained to the clerk there was a guy in the computer room playing with himself. I went back in with the library manager and pointed him out. Did I reach over and smack him in the head? No. Did I whip out a gun and blow his tallywacker off? No. 

    Because I was able to muster a reasonable response to irrational behavior. Was I disgusted? Sure. Was I outraged? Not really. Was I unsettled? Sure. Frightened for my life? Uh, no.

    This kind of huffing and puffing, pearl-clutching and trigger joy, outraged sensibilities and pursed-lipped self-righteous disgust over a public masturbator, come on. Don't tell me this thread is about public safety and a woman's right to be defended from the dangers of sexual predators. This is about someone who wanted something for nothing (and got it).

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2018 · 135 posts · 174 votes
    7y

    @Jim K. 

    Over 3 hours ago @Jimmy M. has stated that his sister ended up paying a fee and moved out - clearly dispelling all of your assumptions. This is a public forum, and you certainly are allowed to express your opinion...... So let me express mine: You are one of the biggest "Persons Of Substance" on BP. Go ahead and abbreviate that.

    Something like that happens to my mom /gf - the guy is getting a grapefruit size exit wound.

    Cheers.

  • Investor · Tallmadge, OH · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Jimmy M. If this guy is “following her home”, what’s going to change in a new place? Call cops, file report, get restraining order.

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    7y

    There are two separate issues here.  Your sister's feelings because some pervert was stalking her and whether or not she now has the legal right to break her lease.

    I really do sympathize with you on this.  If that was my sister it happened to I would be mad as Hell at the guy who did it.  I don't blame her for feeling unsafe.  It may be best for her to find another place to live.  If she wants to stay in the same area there are high rises nearby which have a 24 hour concierge and a secure entrance.  

    At the same time I honestly don't know how her landlord is to blame for this situation.  It's not the landlord's fault that this pervert started stalking her.  I assume she knew the type of building she was moving in to, a 1st floor apartment which I presume is visible from the street, in a highly populated urban area.  No shortage of crazies in this area.  

    I recommend you approach the landlord directly and try to work something out instead of strongarming them, bringing in a lawyer and accusing them of negligence.  Your sister signed a lease, something terrible happened, now she wants to move out.  Things happen.  Perhaps the landlord will be understanding if you explain it to them.  See if you can work it out first before involving lawyers.  

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Clifford Paul:
    Originally posted by @Nancy P.:
    Originally posted by @Clifford Paul:

    When I read stories like this,  I'm thankful that I live in the great state of Texas. Peeping Tom... peeping Tom now has a third eye socket.

    Years ago while walking the dog in Houston in the early daylight hours was approached by a car.  Naked man emerged,  calmly (while 50 ft. away) informed me he was going to rape me until I was dead.  I had a cell phone and screamed into it at 911.  (If my brain had been working sans caffeine I would have take a photo of him and his license plate!)  He drove off.  This guy had been seen in the neighborhood before at least 3 times.  I was more than a little stunned when the sheriff attended the next neighborhood watch,  and announced that since he had threatened to kill me,  he could be shot on sight.  Three women went out and bought handguns.  Tall men (he was at least 6'3)  stopped running in the neighborhood just in case they would me mistaken for the flasher. As did my husband who is only 6 ft ( they all went to a nearby school and ran on the track).    Probably most effective,  somebody quoted the sheriff on the neighborhood web site.  The dude was never seen in the neighborhood again.  As horrible as he was,  I really didn't want him killed over it.  I mean,  I could have been LYING about what he said,  and someone could have shot him over it!    But that's Texas.

    Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.

    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

    Nancy, you would have been certainly justified in protecting yourself.  No saine person ever wants to take another's life.  Believe me as a combat veteran it's something that burns at your soul but if a person refuses to protect themselves who's going to do it? When the police are minutes away sometimes it's you or the offender.  I would rather face a jury of 12 than be carried by six.

    I agree I had the right to defend myself (he never came closer,  probably because I had a Brittany on a leash,  although she was busy sniffing the ground and ignoring my panic)...but to extend that right to everyone in the whole neighborhood to kill him ON SIGHT?  That was pushing it,  perhaps wasn't even legally true.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    More than a decade ago I was in the public library using the computers and this big, very pale, ash-blonde-haired dude sat down next to me in an almost-empty computer room. He was wearing a hat and had his jacket in his lap. So I'm sitting there, working on my resume, and he starts to breathe heavier and heavier. I see one of his hands disappear under the jacket. I got up and went to drink at the water fountain down the hall. As I was leaving, I took a quick look at what was on his screen, and sure enough, it was some kind of gay sex story.

    Now why exactly he sat down next to ME to help get his jollies, I'll never know. But I got up and went to the front desk and explained to the clerk there was a guy in the computer room playing with himself. I went back in with the library manager and pointed him out. Did I reach over and smack him in the head? No. Did I whip out a gun and blow his tallywacker off? No. 

    Because I was able to muster a reasonable response to irrational behavior. Was I disgusted? Sure. Was I outraged? Not really. Was I unsettled? Sure. Frightened for my life? Uh, no.

    This kind of huffing and puffing, pearl-clutching and trigger joy, outraged sensibilities and pursed-lipped self-righteous disgust over a public masturbator, come on. Don't tell me this thread is about public safety and a woman's right to be defended from the dangers of sexual predators. This is about someone who wanted something for nothing (and got it).

    FFS,  Jim,  not only are you ignoring the facts laid out by OP (sister has resolved the situation),  if you can't tell the difference between being a MAN in a public place and a woman in her own home,  there is little hope for you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Your sister should open the window and yell: 'Man, That's the smallest penis I've ever seen!" He'll leave in humiliation and never return".

     This made me LOL.  You, sir, get a gold star for this one.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    Don't tell me this thread is about public safety and a woman's right to be defended from the dangers of sexual predators. This is about someone who wanted something for nothing (and got it).

    I disagree, I don't think it was about that.  I can't blame her for not feeling safe after what happened because behavior like this could easily escalate and turn into way worse things like rape or murder.  The man knew where she lived and was watching her through the window.  That had to be a terrifying and humiliating experience.

    My ex lives in this neighborhood in fact and she was on her way home from work on the L when a very large man approached her, pulled down his pants and demanded that she satisfy him orally.  She ran to the front car but by the time she got help the man had run off.  It was quite traumatizing for her.  After that she started taking Uber home from work.  Until it happens to you or someone close to you it's hard to understand.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    7y
    There is a lot of emotion on this post. @Russell logical response is spot on. Logic > Emotion everyday people.
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 227 votes
    7y

    Hi Jimmy, I am so sorry to hear that your sister is dealing with this issue. I agree with some of what has been stated above as far as potentially communicating with the landlord again about moving to a different unit (at a different location) could be a solution; I do not believe that moving her to a different unit within the same building will be a solution for her peeping tom issue (unless moved to a not street side facing unit, and even then, there's still a chance she'll have to deal with this perp's nonsense). 

    It is good that you have proceeded with contacting CPD because that should really have been the first step in a situation with a peeping tom. Additionally, this is a tough situation because while everyone else has suggested closing the blinds/curtains/windows above, I can relate with the need to be comfortable in your own home. You should be able to open your blinds without having to deal with this issue. However, in the best interest of her safety, if she's done her due diligence and has tried reaching out to CPD, she should push for the need to install floodlights and if the landlord doesn't want to comply in this instance, then I'd really figure out what next options she has by consulting with legal counsel (again, I'm not necessarily seeing any obvious signs of negligence from the landlord, but, that might be something a legal professional might be able to help her think through as far as figuring out her next course of action).  

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    @Jimmy M.

    Not really up to the landlord to take responsibility over the creeper. Buy your sister a taser gun and have her leave the window open. I think this is more your responsibility as her sibling not taking on the landlord/tenant issue.

  • HIGHLAND, MD · Member since 2011 · 160 posts · 141 votes
    7y

    @Jimmy M.

    Ask about being moved to another unit on and upper level. Not many peepers walking around with ladders. Sister may need to thicken her skin a bit if she wants to live in the city. That kind of incident is pretty low on the shock and awe scale, but she may not have really understood the kind of area she was moving into.

    I invest in Baltimore and was reading some Google reviews of a really nice Boutique style 50 unit Multifamily in a part of the city that is changing, although slowly. The apartments were gorgeous and ran from $1800-3000 a month. One quarter of the bad reviews were from women who were not from the area and they couldn’t believe the thing that went on in and around their expensive digs.

    Drunks/addicts sleeping on the sidewalk and hustling for money every time you walk by, cat calling and overtly suggestive sexual comments, groups of people following you to your car, etc

    Take some time to see any new places at multiple times of day and night. Walk the streets nearby and see what dirt you kick up!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nancy P.:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    More than a decade ago I was in the public library using the computers and this big, very pale, ash-blonde-haired dude sat down next to me in an almost-empty computer room. He was wearing a hat and had his jacket in his lap. So I'm sitting there, working on my resume, and he starts to breathe heavier and heavier. I see one of his hands disappear under the jacket. I got up and went to drink at the water fountain down the hall. As I was leaving, I took a quick look at what was on his screen, and sure enough, it was some kind of gay sex story.

    Now why exactly he sat down next to ME to help get his jollies, I'll never know. But I got up and went to the front desk and explained to the clerk there was a guy in the computer room playing with himself. I went back in with the library manager and pointed him out. Did I reach over and smack him in the head? No. Did I whip out a gun and blow his tallywacker off? No. 

    Because I was able to muster a reasonable response to irrational behavior. Was I disgusted? Sure. Was I outraged? Not really. Was I unsettled? Sure. Frightened for my life? Uh, no.

    This kind of huffing and puffing, pearl-clutching and trigger joy, outraged sensibilities and pursed-lipped self-righteous disgust over a public masturbator, come on. Don't tell me this thread is about public safety and a woman's right to be defended from the dangers of sexual predators. This is about someone who wanted something for nothing (and got it).

    FFS,  Jim,  not only are you ignoring the facts laid out by OP (sister has resolved the situation),  if you can't tell the difference between being a MAN in a public place and a woman in her own home,  there is little hope for you.

    Hope for me aside...I just don't believe the story. I'm not buying it. It sounds like a great way to get out of a lease for an expensive apartment as cheaply as possible with absolutely zero evidence or cause.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jimmy M.:
    You really are king of the trolls you arrogant mouth breather.  Situation is very different then a public library.  It was her window.  Got what she wanted?  Nightmares and now the cost and expense of trying to move again.  Go back to your Cheetos in your basement. 

    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    More than a decade ago I was in the public library using the computers and this big, very pale, ash-blonde-haired dude sat down next to me in an almost-empty computer room. He was wearing a hat and had his jacket in his lap. So I'm sitting there, working on my resume, and he starts to breathe heavier and heavier. I see one of his hands disappear under the jacket. I got up and went to drink at the water fountain down the hall. As I was leaving, I took a quick look at what was on his screen, and sure enough, it was some kind of gay sex story.

    Now why exactly he sat down next to ME to help get his jollies, I'll never know. But I got up and went to the front desk and explained to the clerk there was a guy in the computer room playing with himself. I went back in with the library manager and pointed him out. Did I reach over and smack him in the head? No. Did I whip out a gun and blow his tallywacker off? No. 

    Because I was able to muster a reasonable response to irrational behavior. Was I disgusted? Sure. Was I outraged? Not really. Was I unsettled? Sure. Frightened for my life? Uh, no.

    This kind of huffing and puffing, pearl-clutching and trigger joy, outraged sensibilities and pursed-lipped self-righteous disgust over a public masturbator, come on. Don't tell me this thread is about public safety and a woman's right to be defended from the dangers of sexual predators. This is about someone who wanted something for nothing (and got it).

    "King of the trolls" is a bit much, Jimmy. I'm not king of anything. I think and your sister are lying about this. I think a lot of people really want to believe in the story of your sister damsel-in-distress and champion her cause. But as for me, all I'm thinking is how big this "fee" is and how your sister juat managed to break a lease on a ground-floor apartment. Maybe I've just seen too much. Maybe it all goes back to the day my innocence was shattered in the library...

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jimmy M.:

    Hi, Looking for advice for my sister to get out of her lease before we contact the landlord again.  Here's the situation:  For the past few weeks, around midnight once or twice a week she thought she heard porn being played by a neighbor very loud and very clear.  She took videos, contacted the landlord, let him know how unsafe and uncomfortable she felt with this going on.  Landlord responded but did not do much or offer much guidance.  Fast forward to last night.  A neighbor next door sees a guy outside her window masturbating and playing porn on his phone.  This is clearly the situation, someone had followed her and was doing this deliberately outside her window.  A police report was filed, they took down all the information, and they think it actually is the same person who had been doing this all over Chicago.  

    The unit is a 1st floor studio in a 10-20 unit building in Chicago near Wrigley Field.  

    Our goal is to now contact the landlord with a clear and concise request to terminate this lease, as she no longer feels safe there..  She is going to be staying with us until we find her another apartment that is not on the 1st floor or Ground floor.  My brother is a lawyer and has offered to step in, citing clear negligence of safety after multiple requests.  What we are really looking for is guidance on how to best approach the landlord to just have the lease terminated so she can move on past this horrible experience.  Any guidance or thoughts?  

    My initial idea is to try to handle it nicely, if he has another building that feels safer and not a ground floor, she would entertain looking at units there to not cause him financial harm.  I don't think in good conscious she would sublease this unit now.  


    Thoughts welcome.  
     


    Bummer situation but this sounds like a police matter to me. It sucks your sister has this problem but that doesn't make this problem she has the landlord's problem. If your sister owned a home and this happened would you expect to be able to get the seller to buy it back?

  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jimmy M.:

    Hi, Looking for advice for my sister to get out of her lease before we contact the landlord again.  Here's the situation:  For the past few weeks, around midnight once or twice a week she thought she heard porn being played by a neighbor very loud and very clear.  She took videos, contacted the landlord, let him know how unsafe and uncomfortable she felt with this going on.  Landlord responded but did not do much or offer much guidance.  Fast forward to last night.  A neighbor next door sees a guy outside her window masturbating and playing porn on his phone.  This is clearly the situation, someone had followed her and was doing this deliberately outside her window.  A police report was filed, they took down all the information, and they think it actually is the same person who had been doing this all over Chicago.  

    The unit is a 1st floor studio in a 10-20 unit building in Chicago near Wrigley Field.  

    Our goal is to now contact the landlord with a clear and concise request to terminate this lease, as she no longer feels safe there..  She is going to be staying with us until we find her another apartment that is not on the 1st floor or Ground floor.  My brother is a lawyer and has offered to step in, citing clear negligence of safety after multiple requests.  What we are really looking for is guidance on how to best approach the landlord to just have the lease terminated so she can move on past this horrible experience.  Any guidance or thoughts?  

    My initial idea is to try to handle it nicely, if he has another building that feels safer and not a ground floor, she would entertain looking at units there to not cause him financial harm.  I don't think in good conscious she would sublease this unit now.  


    Thoughts welcome.  
     


    Bummer situation but this sounds like a police matter to me. It sucks your sister has this problem but that doesn't make this problem she has the landlord's problem. If your sister owned a home and this happened would you expect to be able to get the seller to buy it back?

    This. It's an unfortunate and gross situation but there isn't a whole lot the landlord can do. I think letting her pay a lease break fee and leave is very generous of the landlord to be honest. What happens if the stalker just follows her to her next destination?

    There needs to be a restraining order filed and cops need to get more involved. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.