Tenant asking for "New HVAC system"

Tenant asking for "New HVAC system"

Rental Property Investor · Statesboro, GA · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 17 votes

I have a tenant who just moved in about 2 months to newly remodeled rental (everything is new) that purchased this year. I had the AC system checked by HVAC company and everything works fine according to the company. The temperature gets to 72 Fahrenheit on the hottest day here in the south GA when temperature outside is about 100 degrees. 

The tenant complains the temperature should go to the 60s, when the thermostat is set at 64 degrees. I had the AC check by HVAC tech twice and they checked the Freon levels and cleaned the coils and technician said that everything is fine that they should be happy it gets to 72 on the hottest days of the summer. 

The tenant called again and they are saying to send another technician to have the  system check again. The only option to get the AC temperature any lower, is to get a new AC unit. What would you guys do? 

12Reply
354 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 37 votes
7y

I always enjoy reading the responses on posts like this. Everyone has some "rule of thumb" they like to pass on. Here is the facts, from a licensed HVAC contractor:

1. If air conditioning only cooled to 20 degrees below the outside temperature, then people in Phoenix, AZ would have homes that are 90 degrees inside. The correct "rule of thumb" is that it air conditioning should cool the air to 20 degrees below the temperature of the air entering the filter. As an example, if it is 80 degrees in the house, the cold air blowing out of the vents should be 60 degrees.

2. A unit that only cools the air by 11 degrees is not working properly. A "perfect" air conditioning system cools the air 20 degrees. Anything between 18 -22 degrees would be acceptable to a service tech. Outside that, a good tech should start to be concerned and check a few other things.

3. Standard air conditioning systems cannot cool a home below 68 degrees. Now sure, there are a lot of factors that go into this, and I am sure someone will comment that their AC does get cooler than 68, but below 68 degrees leaves the realm of air conditioning and now enters refrigeration, i.e. walk in refrigerators. 

4. Most importantly, 72 degrees falls within any regulation out there. OSHA does not specify a temperature that work places have to be, but they recommend between 68- 76. https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaw...

It is generally standardized throughout the industry that "perfect" indoor conditions in the summer are between 73- 79 degrees with 40% to 60% relative humidity. https://www.contractingbusines...

I'd leave the unit as is, replace the tenant before you replace the HVAC. Just keep in mind that with the way they are running it, you are subjecting the equipment to much more wear and tear. I would suggest replacing the air filters every month to prevent a premature failure.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

83 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    I'm an HVAC technician. And it's working fine. At those high of temperatures outside there aren't many units that can keep up with that kinda of heat wave. If it's between 8-12° difference from the supply vents and what it's calling for on the thermostat, it's good. I agree with one of the comments about lowering internal house temperature via appliances, lights, and shades. Good luck! 🙂

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    I melt at 73+ degrees. I've lived in TX, GA, and SC and I've accepted high electric bills because I just cant take it. I feel their pain...let them go

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Charles Carillo:

    @Mike Franco

    @Gerardo Escutia

    As I said, at 10+ years you need to look at replacement; i.e calculate the repair vs. replacement cost; if there are actually issues with it. Most ACs (in Florida) last 10-15 years and 20 years if they are perfectly maintained (doubtful on a rental). Since the unit was fully remodeled and the AC was not replaced, it sounds like the AC is older.

    We're in Arizona, which most people would agree gets a wee bit warm in the summer at 108 for two months at a time, with heat waves that get to 115 and above.

    I had an older AC unit that had "failed" and it turned out to be small cracks that let the freon leak. The technician replaced the coils (a few hundred dollars) and it was just fine.

    Another that "failed" needed a new Capacitor (the most common failing part in Arizona) and it was $120 to have the technician replace it in the 17 year old Trane. Now it cools to 68.

    Another from a fixer I just bought needed a fan motor on the 12 year old AC. It works just fine and blows at 70.

    Also, there is a $50 "swamp cooler" they can put in their room or office that cools an additional 10 degrees available at Home Depot.

    When we lived in Seattle, 74 degrees was considered to be an exceptionally warm summer. ;-)

    Not sure what their problem is, but they should learn to handle life better and not expect you to be their "daddy".

  • Contractor · Talbott, TN · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    I would check the condensation drain to make sure it is draining properly if nor add some bleach into the tubing at the return. Also check the coils on the return air unit. If a tenant in the past has not changed the filter properly they could have gotten dirty and you would not really notice it till it was so hot out that the unit has to work harder.

    Just some ideas that a service guy wouldn't find unless it was really hot at the time they inspected the unit.

  • Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2012 · 285 posts · 175 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    I would tell them to get a window AC unit to supplement if they need it lower.

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia sheesh, seems like you should be preparing for the winter by now. In a few weeks they shouldn’t need too much ac. As long as the furnace is good you shouldn’t have to visit this problem for a while.

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    Might want to look at insulation in attic and making sure turbines or air hawks is taking hot air out of the attic.

    You said newly remodeled so not sure if that included windows as older single pane windows leak.

    There are companies that charge a couple hundred dollars to come do air leak test and can tell you what if anything is causing home to leak air and what you can do to help get home more comfortable.

    If home is not properly insulated even a new system will have hard time keeping house under 72.

    Best of luck

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2018 · 225 posts · 180 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia I would tell the tenant the previously certified HVAC technician said there is not an issue with the HVAC system. I would advise the tenant any further inspections will be out of there pockets and find a way to outright deny them from getting more HVAC inspections. Thinking a house will get to 60s when set on the air conditioning setting is laughable. Utterly ridiculous request.

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    “Only 72°”, with 100° ambient? 🤣🤣 🤣. I’ve been doing residential and light commercial for 20+ years. Please have your tenant google “HVAC Design Temperature”. 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    So one thing I should mention here -- I have an older AC unit in my own home and our bedroom is the furthest possible point from it. We put in a window unit to our bedroom because it just barely cools it. A few folks mentioned age, positioning, ductwork -- I'm sure that all plays into the end result, which is the unit doesn't have enough oomph to cool our master bedroom. I didn't feel like getting a new unit (rest of the house is fine) or doing exploratory surgery on my duct work, so we got the window unit.

    Window unit ACs can run $150-$300 -- I see this is a new tenant but if you're offering a home with AC and its not up to snuff, see if they have the "one bedroom" problem and maybe look to purchase a window unit. 

  • Bryan MitchellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2016 · 623 posts · 337 votes
    7y

    @Adam Odom, I’m in Atlanta and 72% is plenty cool enough.

  • Bryan MitchellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2016 · 623 posts · 337 votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco, tell them to go buy a window unit.

  • Bryan MitchellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2016 · 623 posts · 337 votes
    7y

    @Anna Sagatelova, I’d recommend A window unit for the renter to purchase.

  • Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 264 posts · 279 votes
    7y

    I live in North Florida and on the hottest days of summer my house will only cool to around 75 degrees.  My wife is always complaining about that but it is what it is.  Don't think a new unit would help unless it is way oversized.  A better option would be to put insulation  into the attic.  I did that and it helps, especially in the winter.  Insulation for a 2000 sq ft home is around 1800.00  

  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia have you gone over there to check it out in person? Just because the unit is working fine doesnt mean the house is actually getting cool (evenly).

    Just like someone stated earlier maybe there are areas of the home that have major drafts or minimal insulation? The thermostat might say 72 but some rooms could be 78.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I would clamp down on them ASAP.  They are not allowed to service equipment or send a technician on equipment that belongs to you.  Tenants regularly ask for expensive capital improvements to properties.  You need to resist this.

  • Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco is correct. The unit is not likely the problem, but rather the ducts are more likely responsible for the issue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cliffside Park, NJ · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia Do you have alot of windows in the house?

    What i would do is, have the technician explain them that usually the rule is 20 degrees lower than what the outside temperature is . If thats the case you can’t really do much. Get them few fans, let the technician explain than there isn’t much to do. Also show them you are doing your best to get to the best possible outcome. If the hottest days are not that many explain that it will be fine and like i said let the expert speak and they are likely to understand it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 284 posts · 184 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    Im in Los Angeles, where there’s rent control and I cant evict without just cause....

    I love complaints like this (especially my units that are under market rent) because i get an opportunity to tell them.... that there is nothing wrong with the equipment and if are not happy, they have the option to leave!!!

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 349 posts · 418 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    Maybe I missed it in all the posts, but I would tell the tenants to point out to you what law or statute you are not in compliance with having an ac unit that "only" goes to 72 F.

    Maybe with winter coming you should ask them if they will be demanding that the heating must be "at least" 90 F or higher.

    Ditch the PITA tenants.



  • Troy BaileyPro Member
    clayton, NC · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Lucas Carl what is your cost on replacing a unit?

  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
    7y

    This might be heading somewhere between “pound sand” and “do you want out of your lease” response to the situation.

    The tenant may be a chronic complainer, never happy or satisfied. I would not do anything more as it could be the opening of the flood gate. Make sure your always the one running the show.

  • Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia I hope you're asking to see if you're nuts for saying no. Anyone who entertains this will be out of business quick. The property was rented in perfectly working condition, including the AC. You paid money to have it looked at a second time, if they don't like it they can find a colder place at the end of their lease

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    72 does not seem acceptable to the standards I live in.

  • Montgomery, AL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Gerardo Escutia

    Very petty in my opinion, tell them to go outside or sit on the porch or something...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.