What books are you reading right now?

What books are you reading right now?

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes

I personally try to alternate between real estate/business books and then something more "entertaining" like a fictional novel or biography. I'm down to my last few books on the shelf and am looking for fresh ideas for 2020!

I'm currently reading "Evicted - Poverty and Profit In The American City" by Matthew Desmond. The author follows eight families in Milwaukee, as well as some Landlords, to give a detailed look at the problems facing renters. It was written right before the housing crisis and is very timely. My big take-away: I'm not surprised these people are trapped in poverty because they continue to make the same bad decisions without ever stopping to think they could have a better life by making a few hard choices. I was surprised to see how the Landlords could be so hard...then generous...then inept. 

The second book I'm reading is "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" by Eric Metaxas. This is about a young, Christian pastor that stood up to Hitler from the very beginning and lost his life for it. Very interesting and Metaxas is a great author.

The next one I'm starting is "Never Lose a Customer Again: Turn Any Sale Into Lifelong Loyalty in 100 Days" by Joseph John Coleman. I haven't started it yet but it's all about building that customer experience that develops into customer loyalty. I'm looking forward to it!

So, what are you reading right now?

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
23Reply
396 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

I sit on the couch and watch Dancing with the stars reruns while I drink Pabst till I drift into unconsciousness

See this reply in the discussion

166 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NM · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @Whitney Anne Kwek it gets way more practical! Keep reading. 

  • Rental Property Investor · n/a · Member since 2019 · 143 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    I'm always in the middle of a few books at any given point.

    I just finished "The One Thing" last night.  Read that book in 3 days and absolutely loved it!  Can't wait to incorporate some of those strategies into my business.

    I am currently reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.  I run almost every day and enjoy 5k's up to half marathons and this book is highly inspirational, even if you do not run.

    Also reading J Scott's book, "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs" so I can learn more about rehab costs, processes, and proper contractor dialogue.

    Halfway through Josh and Brandon's book, "How to Invest in Real Estate" but I had to return it to the library because I ran out of time.

    Lastly I am reading "A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future", which is very interesting, but then I started reading more real estate and lost focus.  Have to get back into that one soon.

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    I tend to read multiple books at one time and eventually gravitate to the one that really interests me.

    Grit by Angela Duckworth (favorite of this group)

    The One Thing by Gary Keller

    Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

    You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero

    The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F**K by Mark Manson

    Sam Walton Made in America

    In my stack for the year:

    Start With Why Simon Sinek

    Multipliers by Liz Wiseman

    Work In Progress by Leanne and Steve Ford

    Atomic Habits by James Clear

  • Tampa FL · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    "Set for Life," by Scott Trench.

  • Tampa FL · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brett B.:

    I'm always in the middle of a few books at any given point.

    I just finished "The One Thing" last night.  Read that book in 3 days and absolutely loved it!  Can't wait to incorporate some of those strategies into my business.

    I am currently reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.  I run almost every day and enjoy 5k's up to half marathons and this book is highly inspirational, even if you do not run.

    Also reading J Scott's book, "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs" so I can learn more about rehab costs, processes, and proper contractor dialogue.

    Halfway through Josh and Brandon's book, "How to Invest in Real Estate" but I had to return it to the library because I ran out of time.

    Lastly I am reading "A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future", which is very interesting, but then I started reading more real estate and lost focus.  Have to get back into that one soon.



    Halfway through Josh and Brandon's book, "How to Invest in Real Estate" but I had to return it to the library because I ran out of time.

    LOL.  I do that all the time, but then I reorder it and start all over haha.

  • Real Estate Agent · Rochester, NY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Whitney Anne

    Funny I was thinking the same thing when I was listening to the audio version of Think and Grow Rich...lol. I thought I had an old version or something of the sort. It was hard to follow and they only piece of information that I gathered was to set aside 10% of everything you make for investments.

    Being very new to Real Estate I’ve been reading a bunch of books published years Bigger Pockets.

    Before that I was into self development books. Authors like Jim Rohan, Brian Tracy, and Grant Cardone.

    These Authors helped me immensely and lead me to where I am today. They gave me a clear vision on how to take control of my life and challenge myself everyday with something new.

  • Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs" 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Scott Trech's Set For Life.

  • Derek SperzelPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Jeffersonville, IN · Member since 2012 · 72 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    The Real Book of Real Estate by Robert Kiyosaki & Tribe of Mentors by Timothy Ferris.

  • Rental Property Investor · Schertz, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Thanks for sharing everyone!

    Currently:

     “The Real Estate Game, The Intelligent Guide to Decision-Making and Investment” by William J. Poorvu

    A bit older book but the principles are sound. Recommended to me by an apartment syndicator buddy of mine. Great book so far!

    I read 17 different books this year (some of them multiple times).

    I have a goal to read at least 30 min every am (and 24 books by the end of 2020)

    My favorite books this year were: 

    1. “Wealth Can’t Wait” -David Osborn (probably my favorite of all time right now) **


    2. “Tribe of Millionaire’s” -David Osborn and Pat Hiban

    3. ”Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat: The BRRRR Rental Property Investment Strategy Made Simple” -David M Greene

    **Love David Osborn’s mindset and how this guy thinks. He is a master at creating habitual awareness of his goals and removing self-imposed road blocks. When talking about massive success he simply asks “Why not me?”

  • Specialist · Crossville, TN · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    I am half way through The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt. It is interesting so far and tells a very good story about production and efficiency.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jackson Heights, NY · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    Great Thread, and a Happy Newyear to everyone on here! Geez my dresser is full right now. Ive been upping my reading game this year and find myself into 2-3 books at a time! Just finished Matt Faircloths book Raising Private Capital Very good read! Very practical stuff to help structure Deals. I will read it again to solidify the concepts more deeply. Im Currently reading The Book on flipping houses which I think is a great read as well. I Just read the E-Myth which was really cool. As well as Cashflow Quadrent. Apart from those Im reading Lord of the Rings and cant wait to start Game of thrones. I also just read Papillon and the worlds most Dangerous places! I keep pressing buy with one click on Amazon! Lol.

  • New to Real Estate · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    I am reading Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book by Joe Fairless. Well known on bigger pockets.

    Also re-reading Never Split The Difference by Chris Voss. The latter is a book on negotiating and is one of the best books I've ever read. Almost every conversation is a negotiation in some ways and Voss knocks it out of the park. He is the retired Head International Hostage Negotiator for the FBI. He's written the book to apply his hostage negotiating tactics to life and business. I read it every year now.

    An honorable mention is The Fish That Ate The Whale: The Life And Times Of America's Banana King by Rich Cohen. I recently finished it. It's a biography about Samuel Zemurray who went rage to riches as an immigrant becoming the largest fruit trader in the Americas. So many lessons in it and a GREAT story for switching up from REI and Budiness books.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jerry W.:
    I really liked Extreme Ownership, The Subtle art of not Giving a F*ck was actually good despite its title.  Of course the Miracle morning and the One Thing were great.

    Jocko Willink is the man. 

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G. Wow. Just reading the titles of the books you are reading sound super interesting. I would love to read those. My books are more real estate related since I am trying to start real estate investing. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible to be confident, well informed, and smart enough to do my first real estate investment. I have been working on Craig Curelop, The House Hacking Strategy. I got it from the BiggerPockets list of books to read. It is very informative, and it is helping me to find a way to make this move for myself and my kids. I look forward to seeing more of your titles.

  • Valparaiso Indiana · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    I think you would like " Mover of men and mountains" by RG Letournou.

    Rather poorly written compared to say a Grisham novel but I found the content excellent.

    He was a Christian business man /inventor who went broke several times and always came back strong.

    His wikepedia page is fascinating too.

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, WA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    BRRRR by David Greene on Audio book. Just curious does anyone know if there are some charts that are in the book that I am missing out on by doing Audio instead of actual book?

  • Hammond, LA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    Just started Mitch McConnell’s “The Long Game.” I’m a big fan of political biographies.

  • Hammond, LA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Crystal Smith

    I would recommend you throw a John Tyler book in there as well. Very interesting character with a complicated legacy. He’s the original Maverick; being betrayed by both the Democrats and the Whigs for his tendency to not fall in line with the party platform.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    I will add it to the list. Thanks!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jesse Aaron:

    @Crystal Smith

    I would recommend you throw a John Tyler book in there as well. Very interesting character with a complicated legacy. He’s the original Maverick; being betrayed by both the Democrats and the Whigs for his tendency to not fall in line with the party platform.

    John Tyler's on the 2020 reading list.  Thx

  • Wholesaler · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 335 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    I’m currently reading Traction by Gino Wickman. Amazing book if you’re looking to scale your team! I’m also listening to the audio book of “FU Money” by Dan Lok. Happy investing everyone!

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    6y

    I'm currently reading Atomic Habits as well. Traction is a great book good call @Emilio Basa

  • Wholesaler · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 335 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    @Odie Ayaga - I’m still in the first couple of chapters. I’m taking my time with it to make sure I implement. Added 3 people to my team and scaled a little too quickly but the book is definitely helping.

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    6y

    @Emilio Basa you're further along than me. If you're interested I think it pairs well with Getting Things Done by David Allen. I think of that as the personal life version of Traction.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.