What books are you reading right now?

What books are you reading right now?

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes

I personally try to alternate between real estate/business books and then something more "entertaining" like a fictional novel or biography. I'm down to my last few books on the shelf and am looking for fresh ideas for 2020!

I'm currently reading "Evicted - Poverty and Profit In The American City" by Matthew Desmond. The author follows eight families in Milwaukee, as well as some Landlords, to give a detailed look at the problems facing renters. It was written right before the housing crisis and is very timely. My big take-away: I'm not surprised these people are trapped in poverty because they continue to make the same bad decisions without ever stopping to think they could have a better life by making a few hard choices. I was surprised to see how the Landlords could be so hard...then generous...then inept. 

The second book I'm reading is "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" by Eric Metaxas. This is about a young, Christian pastor that stood up to Hitler from the very beginning and lost his life for it. Very interesting and Metaxas is a great author.

The next one I'm starting is "Never Lose a Customer Again: Turn Any Sale Into Lifelong Loyalty in 100 Days" by Joseph John Coleman. I haven't started it yet but it's all about building that customer experience that develops into customer loyalty. I'm looking forward to it!

So, what are you reading right now?

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
23Reply
398 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

I sit on the couch and watch Dancing with the stars reruns while I drink Pabst till I drift into unconsciousness

See this reply in the discussion

166 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Spring City, PA · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Whitney Anne Kwek

    Yes it’s written long ago and difficult to read compared to today’s modern genre

  • Rental Property Investor · Harrisburg PA · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    By Honor Bound by Mike Thornton and Thomas Norris

    A real story that can teach you about dedication, focus, readiness, and relationships.  Check out the story on YouTube. Rally amazing events. I served with Mike Thornton and he is the real deal in leadership as a Navy SEAL. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2018 · 96 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    Lots of good reads on here, I just started getting into the habit of reading again this past year and read about 30ish last year.  One of the most interesting non real-estate reads was Factfulness by Hans Rosling.  Just started 'The Go-Giver' this morning, seems like a quick read, good so far.   Looking forward to reading some of the other books recommended.

  • Contractor · Kuwait, Kuwait · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    Happy new year!

    Im on my last chapter of Crushing It in commercial real estate by Brian Murray.

    Great read. Have a happy new year everyone and wish everyone a great Cash on Cash return :)

  • Tampa FL · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jose Roberto fonseca:

    currently: Set For Life

    last book: the BRRRR book

    Reading that one too haha. Set for Life.

  • Tampa FL · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

    Scott Trech's Set For Life.

    That is 3 of us reading that book haha.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Whitney Anne Kwek:

    I am currently reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. I am pretty early into it but I honestly don't get the hype around this book. It may be too abstract for me and I don't like the style of language. Is there something I'm missing?

    I read @Brandon Turner's The Book on Rental Property Investing recently and found it an enjoyable read. Maybe I am just drawn to more practical real estate books right now. 

    I just got a bunch of real estate and personal finance books from my local library, so I'm starting on those now. I'll update if I find any of those to be a must-read!

    I have to jump in on the other side for think and grow rich! I’m reading it for the 3rd time.  It gets very practical once you wrap your brain around it. I have a 1 page personal statement that I created using his formula.  I read every morning and night and I have never been so focused on my goals, confident, efficient, effective, balanced (I could go on....) in my life.  It has been a huge turning point for me so I had to throw in my 2 cents for those who have not read it yet.  There is a workbook available to break down the steps if they don’t jump out at you. Besides the daily personal statement the personal inventory is the second most helpful part. The wording does take a minute to get used to but I like the old timey phrasing. 
    I'm also reading the BRRRR book by @DavidGreene and highly recommend it!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Marietta, GA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad I’m a huge fan of Steve Rinella - his show and his books! American Buffalo is great!

  • NJ · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Bad blood:

    It’s about how a Silicon Valley start up lied to everybody about their revolutionary technology in blood testing.... caused $700 million in damage.

  • Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 16 votes
    6y
    I just finished reading The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J Stanley and William D Banko and picked up Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson as well as the Warren Buffet Story by Robert B Hagstrom. I read a lot on real estate too, but wanted to branch out for some variety and particular focus on biographies to get better ideas of the challenges that they had to overcome. 
  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Nathan G. Great write up! I’m currently reading Never Split The Difference.

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    I have a couple suggestions that haven't been mentioned. 

    Range by David Epstein - Explains why experts are usually not as good at solving problems, even within their own field, as a group of people with a broader field of knowledge. It's not intended to be a business book, but I think it's helpful in deciding how to go about building a team. 

    American Icon by Bryce G. Hoffman - An in depth review of how CEO Alan Mulally turned around the Ford Motor Company in the middle of the financial crisis. It's fascinating and has some good lessons about leadership and team building.


    My next book is Long-Distance Real Estate Investing by David Greene.

  • John FortesPro Member
    Multi-Family Syndicator · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 603 posts · 347 votes
    6y

    Just finished: Blue Ocean Strategy, Mindset, Jay-Z, The way of the Superior Man and Ted Talks

    Currently reading: Super Attractor by Gabrielle Bernstein

    Next up: Can't Hurt Me, Failing Up, The Like Switch and The Power of Self-Compassion

  • Calvin OzanickBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Janesville, WI · Member since 2017 · 708 posts · 297 votes
    6y

    Currently reading Set for Life by Scott Trench. Great read and looking forward to picking my next off this list!

    Wisconsin Property Managers4.7414 Reviews
  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Oh my God, I am answering extremely late like two or three years too late, but I am reading BRRR by David Greene.
  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life is a book by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans. 

    - Not a Real Estate book but a book helpful in getting my thoughts out onto paper on the different types of careers/work in life. More of a freedom mindset on truly going after the passions in life that I have. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.