Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
I won't bore anyone with the details. One of my ex-tenants made the following post on her facebook page and inundated me with long, rambling text messages claiming her attorney was going to take me down. Yes, she is an unemployed 19-year-old that can't afford $600 rent but she apparently has an attorney on retainer. It's a classic move.
My question: would you respond to a post like this? She made it on her personal facebook page but it is visible to the public. I already have my answer but I'm curious to see how others have responded.
Investor Friendly Agent · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 37 votes
6y
Cash for keys! lol. Be above it. Easy to say, hard to do.
It makes my blood boil to read her rant, it is libelous, and you have a professional written agreement/lease, where you could claim defamation, but the negative press around that would likely bring more negative attention to your business.
I'm just disappointed she didn't start a review by saying "If I could give him zero stars I would."
That's almost as common as, "I've talked to my attorney..."
lol We actually sell Tenants From Hell T-Shirts with similar slogans to that....Ours are "I'm calling my Lawyer" and "I know my rights" maybe I'll mail her some freebies for warning the rest of us about how much of a sexist A-hole you are.
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 8 votes
6y
I would say no. If it's a small community and people know your company and how you do business, then I wouldn't worry about it. Esepcially if it's on her private page and not a review type page. If it gets to the point where she does leave it as a review, then I might say something or have my attorney intervene. As of right now I would classify it as nothing other than a distraction.
I think getting insulted on Facebook or social media is kind of a right of passage. You can do everything right, you can be the kindest person, but still... it will inevitably happen. If you haven't been bashed, you will be.. just give it time!
We got trashed last year, on FB because we were kicking out a couples pitbull, she went on a huge rant about how horrible and crappy people we were... and another tenants actually told us about it. You know what she left out-- the fact her dog has bit 3 people, she keeps the dog in a closet or on a chain outside and she lets it around her 4 y/o daughter. This dog was insanely aggressive, and looked like it was on steroids, when we tried to pay them ($500) to get rid of it "sorry, we got it as an investment to breed it"-- who breeds an incredibly aggressive dog..... yeah. The HVAC company wouldn't even come inside until the dog was removed. They were total POS, and I'm just waiting to hear the news that they get busted for dog fighting or the kid is going to get killed. They also left out that we paid them $1700 to move, so honestly-- I'd LOVE for a prospective tenant to ask me about it, but with all things social media.. it will get pushed to the bottom and no one will ever care about it.
Personally, I wouldn't respond, the message will show up to her friends, and then she will post stuff, and it will go down the list and no one will ever care or think about it. If someone likes your place, they'll rent it, and the type of person she is-- I doubt you want her friends as they would likely be like her.
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
6y
I never respond to anything like that. Rants happen all the time and she is only making herself look bad. This phrase comes to mind and you should adopt it -I care, Just not that much - You have to learn not to let a tenant says affect you.
Springfield Gardens, NY · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 63 votes
6y
@Nathan Gesner yes I would do one response, and no back and forth, because if you don't respond people might things it true, something simple like - "those are absolute lies, and if this post is not removed I will have an attorney contact you for defamation"
Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
6y
Very interesting perspective from everyone. Coming from Asia where keeping face is very important, and living in a small town (less than 35,000 population in the County) where Police Station doesn't open during the weekends, and many people knowing your business, I would have very difficult time not responding.
I am glad I read everyone's posts, very enlightening & educational.
Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 104 votes
6y
@Nathan G. If it's on her personal page, I would not respond. If she really does have an attorney, your response will be used against you in court. It will be put in the worse light possible no matter how professional it might seem to you at this moment.
Investor · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 11 votes
6y
My grandmother always said, "Birds of a feather fly together." You mentioned that some people knew she was crazy and others were tenants that already caused problems for you. Good news:
1. People who know she is crazy will ignore the post and perhaps think highly of it for you.
2. Her "friends", the "birds of a feather" who think that a trashed apartment is being a good tenant, will avoid your rentals- another win!
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Nathan Gesner Yikes! Sorry to hear about that. No, I wouldn't respond. Not worth the time unless it's on a public profile on a professional business and reputable site. Hope that helps! :)
Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
6y
Never ruffle through trash once it's placed outside. It's on her personal FB page, let it be. If it was on Yelp or Google Reviews, then yes, that would be another issue. You can also, perhaps, have your lawyer send her a cease and desist letter since she is technically damaging your reputation in public.
My grandmother always said, "Birds of a feather fly together." You mentioned that some people knew she was crazy and others were tenants that already caused problems for you. Good news:
1. People who know she is crazy will ignore the post and perhaps think highly of it for you.
2. Her "friends", the "birds of a feather" who think that a trashed apartment is being a good tenant, will avoid your rentals- another win!
IT's a two-fer.
Your grandmother was a wise woman. That's the exact phrase I used when I saw her post and the accompanying responses. The ones that we've done business with were bad renters and wouldn't qualify for any of our rentals. The one "adult" that posted was someone we fired. Birds of a feather...
Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 71 votes
6y
I wouldn't respond. It was on her personal page. The optics just look bad all the way around if you respond. Your response will likely prompt an even worse response from her and you have more to lose. Never fight someone with less or nothing to lose.
Brookfield, WI · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 108 votes
6y
Since, as you noted, it's a private page, and not a public review site, etc. I'd stay quiet, she's actually doing you a service, now instead of recruiting those friends of hers joining in with their like mob - mentality to your properties, she's actually deterring them, resulting in a free layer of tenant screening. but do continue to monitor/document if you are so inclined in case this escalates.
Investor · NY · Member since 2019 · 171 posts · 80 votes
6y
I would caution against replying directly. Such responses, particularly when made by a company in response to a former tenant, rarely have the desired effect of persuading other posters that you are right and the former tenant is wrong. To the contrary, this type of message can result in further negative comments as posters learn that the company is willing to engage them on their private page.
If the business is being affected you can clarify and state your point of view on your page in a professional manner.
Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 38 votes
6y
I agree that reviews are very important. But, just reading this review objectively, my thought is she's a lunatic and would discount everything she said if I were a potential tenant of yours. Best response to this one is no response. Arguing with an idiot makes two idiots.
Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
6y
In a previous reply I said that I wouldn't respond because just take it from where it comes from. The fact that she can't pay $600 rent in 2020 speaks for itself. However, not answering a lie is easier said than done. If it bothers you and your kicking yourself in the *** for staying quiet then respond!
In a previous reply I said that I wouldn't respond because just take it from where it comes from. The fact that she can't pay $600 rent in 2020 speaks for itself. However, not answering a lie is easier said than done. If it bothers you and your kicking yourself in the *** for staying quiet then respond!
@Nathan Gesner More importantly................Just respond because it's going to be funny as hell to read what you say on this thread.
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 253 votes
6y
A turd always smells worse when you kick it!!!!
Here is what I have been able to discern from your words and how you feel about this former tenant:
Bat **** crazy, she needs to be taught a lesson, stupid kid, her friends are all stupid kids, they are a "classy bunch", her text are rambling and crazy, she is a peice of work, crazy person, and unemployed 19 year old!!!
I would say the real action that is needed here is better screening of tenants moving forward to avoid this type of conflict.