Would you respond to this insult?

Would you respond to this insult?

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes

I won't bore anyone with the details. One of my ex-tenants made the following post on her facebook page and inundated me with long, rambling text messages claiming her attorney was going to take me down. Yes, she is an unemployed 19-year-old that can't afford $600 rent but she apparently has an attorney on retainer. It's a classic move.

My question: would you respond to a post like this? She made it on her personal facebook page but it is visible to the public. I already have my answer but I'm curious to see how others have responded.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
9Reply
491 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

====================

Sorry you were unhappy with your renting experience at American West.

In the future we hope you find a place where you can be more happy.

The Management and Staff at American West.

===================

(No personal signature, no personal account used.)

See this reply in the discussion

110 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Jones:

    A turd always smells worse when you kick it!!!!

    LOL!

    Our screening process is solid. I've been using the same scoring system for over three years and have probably screened over 2,000 applications and rented to at least 500 of those applicants. I've had maybe a dozen that we lost money on.

    We're not losing any money with her. In fact, I told her we were returning "the remainder" of her deposit which is over 50%. She just thinks she deserves the entire refund despite breaking her lease with five days notice and 8 months remaining.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • HIGHLAND, MD · Member since 2011 · 160 posts · 141 votes
    6y

    Who is the Greater fool... the Fool or the person that argues with the fool
    Dont be the Greater Fool

  • Investor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Document, document, document. Then move on.

  • AJ ShepardPro Member
    Real Estate Syndicator · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 453 posts · 312 votes
    6y

    Understand, empathize, and acknowledge the complaint. With this, future tenants would know that the management responds to complaints and issues. The best thing to do is to respond quickly and take matters offline. Mitigate the situation as much as possible.

  • Civil Engineer · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    I wouldn't respond to her Facebook rant about it. If it was on a review page, then I would write a professional response. 

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    6y

    I was really hoping to hear that you chose my "..dual with flintlock pistols" option!

    Oh well, maybe next time...I guess being professional and just ignoring her is the right thing, but not as fun to read about.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    So did everyone here open up their laptop or dust off their desktop to actually read the attached photo or....? Making attachments viewable on the app would be awesome. I respect that real estate professionals and bankers will be the last on the planet to believe that a fax machine provides more security than the worlds best encryption (even though routinely there documents are sent to wrong numbers by human error) but why in 2020 are we pushing people off a mobile app onto a web viewer to read stuff? Gonna send me to a VHS if we post video next?

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    The following is a comprehensive list of 19 year olds whose opinions matter to me and/or my business:

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Nathan

    She's actually doing you a favor. And other landlords will see this and steer away from her.


    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    I won't bore anyone with the details. One of my ex-tenants made the following post on her facebook page and inundated me with long, rambling text messages claiming her attorney was going to take me down. Yes, she is an unemployed 19-year-old that can't afford $600 rent but she apparently has an attorney on retainer. It's a classic move.

    My question: would you respond to a post like this? She made it on her personal facebook page but it is visible to the public. I already have my answer but I'm curious to see how others have responded.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.